Taxi assist?

tgon

Is there an add on or utility that will plot me during taxi at large airports and that does not use FSX ATC progressive taxi or substitutions (e.g. Followme2) Live charts as a pop up gauge would be cool. If FS Commander was on an iPad that would be even better!

My problem is taxiing from and to gates, especially at night. I get lost or taxi round like a drunk zigzagging to a distant terminal [emoji43]

There's "Ground Service X" which features the "follow me" car. But however if you don't want to purchase any products, I'd suggest you to get freeware addon or if you have an iPad or Iphone you could use the airport chart.

happy flyings

http://i63.tinypic.com/wlam8.png

Electronic Flight Bag is something like FSC but to get the real benefits you really do need to run the Display Unit on a separate computer or tablet. After you receive your gate or parking number you can enter the taxiing procedure into the program and follow the route.

I use an add on called Groundhandling which will handle pushbacks and taxi speeds. The latter enables you to set the taxi speed which then gives you a bit more time to concentrate on identifying the markers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I use the Groundhandling gauges already.

I've found a free iPad app called AeroChartEuro which gives me everything I wanted to know about any European airport, including taxiways and gates. I'll refer to that and plan my way through complex airports (e.g. EHAM).

Thanks. I'd thought of GSX but was not sure if it's follow me car piggy backs on FSX progressive taxi. I could use my zoomed in FS Commander on a second screen but don't really have the physical space.

It doesn't piggy back. You can request a parking spot yourself and the follow me car will lead you to it. Of course, it helps if you know the airport. I mean, you don't want to park a United plane amongst Delta ones, lol

What I do is check flightaware and see what gate the real flight arrived at.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

That's for that info. Very useful. Unfortunately my airports are so barren I normally choose the closest! lol

Off topic, but GSX is so much more than just a follow me car. It adds a marshaller, luggage carts with animated loaders, pushback tugs for most airlines, catering services, etc. I bought it to add life to my airports, and it does just that. It's a great product for a cheap price!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Off topic, but GSX is so much more than just a follow me car. It adds a marshaller, luggage carts with animated loaders, pushback tugs for most airlines, catering services, etc. I bought it to add life to my airports, and it does just that. It's a great product for a cheap price!

My best memories of Follow Me trucks was of the old FBOS at Midland Texas in the 60's. Everyone wanted the chance to refuel a 380 gallon jet chopper or maybe as many as four at a time. So the FBOS tried various freebies to entice guys on ferry hops to go to their center. The most successful stunt I remember was during hot weather, placing a college aged girl wearing a bikini in the back of the truck.

As we were headed due west, the combination of very hot weather and head winds made the trip to our next available refuel station in El Paso, iffy at best. So we almost always overnighted there hoping for cooler calmer weather very early the next morning.

The girl in the Follow Me Truck would hold up six packs of beer and soft drinks straight out of the cooler sitting next to her. The kick was, you had to go to her FBO to meet the girl and get the beer! That always worked for me!:cool:;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived