Trouble Optimizing Graphics on a New PC | FSX

Hi, I just set up my new rig, and I'm having issues with the graphics. I'm running FSX in windowed mode, with a regular cockpit (not virtual), and I get a weird cursor behavior: The cursor flickers between a circular "wait" cursor and a regular "arrow" cursor rapidly when hovering over any FSX window. I've installed the DX10Fixer, not sure if changing between DX10 mode has a different behavior. I have the latest NVidia drivers loaded. I am running my 3 main displays off of my GTX-950, they are linked in 'surround mode.' I have two small monitors running off of my GeForce 710 for my instruments (SimInnovations Air Manager) and GPS undocked from FSX. Also, I get black windows when moving from monitor to monitor, but intermittently only.

One thing that is also weird: I'm keeping my taskbar on the center screen bottom. When I boot up, it moves to the left screen top. I have to unlock it and move it back.

Thoughts?

Thanks Dave

Intel Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz | MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4 25600 | MSI GeForce GTX-950 2GB | MSI GeForce 710 |Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD | EVGA 500 Ba 100-0500-KR 80+ Bronze 500W | Windows 10 Home | FSX Gold With Acceleration

More info: I have SimConnect, FSUIPC, DX10Fixer and UIAutomationCore.dll installed. Whether they are configured cor erectly remains to be seen.
Intel Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz | MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4 25600 | MSI GeForce GTX-950 2GB | MSI GeForce 710 |Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD | EVGA 500 Ba 100-0500-KR 80+ Bronze 500W | Windows 10 Home | FSX Gold With Acceleration

Loki,

I see that higher nmbered gpu's do 2d surround 'with' 2 monitors.

I have trouble finding out what that means though.

is it possible to extend (stretch) the desktop across both, using one large resolution?

is it possible to do so for fsx also?

I keep finding threads saying:

-to spread the view (gaming setup) you need three monitors.

-a center point needs to be in the centre of a screen, so two monitors won't work.

In this thread:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/539750/how-to-play-on-dual-monitor-/

(people using the modern GTX970)

I also read that extending over two displays was available in Vista, but not since then.

And I found this guide:

To set up a two monitor view you need to:

*open fsx in windowed mode,

*drag a new view to the second monitor,

*use the fsx command "View - link all (toggle)" to make the views move around in sync.

-->this thread has the step-by-step to that, the post by JoTayhen:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/347134-how-to-set-up-fsx-on-dual-monitor/

(however, it's about an older type GPU)

So I wonder, did a new driver or something suddenly make it possible to Span across 2 monitors?

I keep reading loads of fancy sounding "2d surround, 3D surround" stuff.

But I get a strong suspicion 2D surround just means: "you can connect and use more then one screen." and that 3D surround means: "you can use 3 displays as if they were one".

Or, that if 2D surround can also use several screns as one, at least three screens are required....?

Very confused.

----------------------

Some thoughts to the OP:

flashing cursor, panels turning black reminds me of what happens if you: set up two separate screens, no expanding over two displays using as one, and then drag a 2d panel so it covers both monitors partly.

That gives all sorts of trouble.

Other thought:

You may not be interested in spreading across three monitors at all.

In that case, maybe try connecting screen three to the gtx950.

there are connectors free.

Now you are displaying fsx over two displays through one card the gts950,

and 1 fsx display through the other card.

and the other display off that card is used for other software.

You may be better off connecting all displays that show fsx/panels to the gtx950,

and only the other software through the one display on the other card.

I found this about the taskbar:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2002029

-

I should add I don't use surround. I don't have a capable GPU.

I did use to use two screens, but now use only one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, all. I had a typo in my initial post, which I've corrected. I have 3 monitors running is Surround mode. You all put a lot of time into troubleshooting this, I feel horrible about the typo. I appreciate the advise however.

I can try to turn off the surround and set up the 3 across in a different way, and see if that helps. Any other thoughts?

So you have 3 displays for the main view, off the gtx950?

and two off the 780, one of which shows some of fsx?

I found these two guides for setting up surround spanning three displays.

about the 600 series. (it's more then one page)

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#1

and this one, (don't know what gpu series, article from 2010)

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2667/~/how-do-i-setup-3d-vision-surround%3F

As your card offers the option of one accessory monitor, that may be the one to put that 4th display on.

Not sure on the correct setup, but making sure you did the steps in these guides correctly seems a good idea.

Since you mentioned the taskbar, especially the steps about assigning the right displays. (the 1--2--3 thing)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will take a look, thanks. To clarify, on the GTX950, I have my 3 main displays with FSX display. On the 710, I have a small VGA to display FSX's GPS screen, and a second screen for a 3rd party panel display. You think that having all of the FSX windows on one graphics card will make a difference?

as I said, I don't have a multi monitor setup. never had more then two. (that was on one card).

so no idea if that will help, but it's one thing I would probably try.

It seems logical to run all fsx displaying monitors hrough one card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived