Like a kid at Christmas - but where's Santa?

P.e.g.a.s.u.s

Hey guys!

I've been using FSX for a while, and really a happy camper I've been, too. Yet since I read the news on X-Plane 11.... so now I've gone and purchased the online version, first X-Plane 10, which gives me a free upgrade to v. 11 in November. It's downloading now, but soooo slow, 10 hours (!) to go, by the dialog box. Can that be? I can hardly wait. I'm almost 50, but I feel like a kid at Christmas. Funny, eh?

Now the reason for my post: The downloader says it wants to install to the desktop. Is that a good idea? Is there a problem with installing to C:?

note: my sig needs an update: OS is now Win10.

Cheers,

David

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

You can install X-Plane 10 wherever you like without any problems. If you have multiple drives, I would put it on another drive and leave your C drive for Windows.

I am really looking forward to X-Plane 11! This may be the version that makes me retire P3D for good.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Well, it's loaded and runs just fine. Easy setup, real easy addition of my Saitek stuff (Radio panel, Switch panel, trim wheel, throttle quadrant, yoke, pedals) and TrackIR. Everything works nicely... sort of. After a few flights in the Cessna, the only thing that bothers me are the jaggies I see in shadow lines (I'm using HDR so I didn't expect that), and the excessive (??) roll of the aircraft. Still, XP runs just fine parallel to FSX. Let's see what XP11 brings.

´´´\/```

That's exactly why I asked the question. There was a time, I thought, when that was commonly accepted wisdom. But LR themselves recommended the desktop. And I, being home unwell and silly, started the install thinking it was only the download. So it's on the desktop. Anyway, the XP-11 install will go to the C: drive, to keep things tidy.

´´´\/```

Never ever in any circumstance install a program to your desktop. In 30+ years in the IT field I Have never ever seen a program that wants to install to the desktop. Installing programs to your desktop will slow down your boot.

??? Desktop is just another system folder, like Documents, Pictures, Videos and Downloads.

¿ⓧ_ⓧﮌ

Archived