AFG YS-11 issue

Captain Andy Poppens

A couple of choices.....Nice aircraft with lots of panel popups but NO battery or Generator switches??

1. What Tom has suggested in post #2

2. Check your control key buttons for Master Battery and Gen/Alternator and bind some keystrokes to activate.

3. I would borrow Battery and generator switches from another aircraft and install to one of those panels.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I had this problem with a helicopter in FS9. I used to start in another one that had a battery and generator switch, then switched back. I finally got tired of that and installed a battery and generator switch in the 2D panel, and that solved the problem.

I have seen planes, however, that loose the avionics after the battery goes dead because the line max_generator_alternator_amps in the [electrical] section of the aircraft.cfg was too low. Like it would read 50 but needed to be 100. Just for example. This can especially be a problem when adding 3rd party gauges that draw more current than the plane originally has available.

Another problem can occur when the line generator_alternator_voltage is too low as well. It is usually 28, but a typo by the dev can make it an incorrect value. 2.8, instead of 28, that sort of thing. Then, even with the GEN switch ON, it's not enough to charge the battery, and you loose avionics, eventually.

Just a couple of thoughts. I get so few...

Pat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Good advice on the [electrical] section there, Phantom! You won't believe what the YS-11 electrical section looks like, I've never seen anything like it before:

[electrical]

;BusType, MaxAmpLoad, MinVoltage BusTypes:0=MainBus,1=AvionicsBus,2=BatteryBus,3=HotBatteryBus,4-7=Generator/AlternatorBus(1-4)

flap_motor = 0, 0 , 0.0

gear_motor = 0, 0 , 0.0

autopilot = 0, 0 , 0.0

avionics_bus = 0, 0, 0.0

avionics = 1, 0 , 0.0

pitot_heat = 0, 0 , 0.0

additional_system = 0, 0, 0.0

marker_beacon = 1, 0 , 0.0

gear_warning = 0, 0 , 0.0

fuel_pump = 0, 0 , 0.0

starter1 = 0, 0, 0.0

light_nav = 0, 0 , 0.0

light_beacon = 0, 0 , 0.0

light_landing = 0, 0 , 0.0

light_taxi = 0, 0 , 0.0

light_strobe = 0, 0 , 0.0

light_panel = 0, 0 , 0.0

Andy, please copy and paste this section over that one in your YS-11 aircraft.cfg file:

[electrical]

;BusType, MaxAmpLoad, MinVoltage BusTypes:0=MainBus,1=AvionicsBus,2=BatteryBus,3=HotBatteryBus,4-7=Generator/AlternatorBus(1-4)

flap_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0

gear_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0

autopilot = 0, 5 , 17.0

avionics_bus = 0, 5 , 17.0

avionics = 1, 5 , 17.0

pitot_heat = 0, 2 , 17.0

additional_system = 0, 2 , 17.0

marker_beacon = 1, 2 , 17.0

gear_warning = 0, 2 , 17.0

fuel_pump = 0, 5 , 17.0

starter1 = 0, 20, 17.0

light_nav = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_beacon = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_landing = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_taxi = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_strobe = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_panel = 0, 5 , 17.0

max_battery_voltage=28.0

electric_always_available=1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I seem to remember this ! I THINK I read somewhere that you just allocate a key command for a missing panel function in Settings/Controls/Buttons/Keys as the others have posted. Got it all working somehow! Wish I could remember where I found the fix details. Must have found a link on a forum somewhere.

My electrical section looks like this:-

[electrical]

flap_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0

gear_motor = 0, 5 , 17.0

autopilot = 0, 5 , 17.0

avionics_bus = 0, 5 , 17.0

avionics = 1, 5 , 17.0

pitot_heat = 0, 2 , 17.0

additional_system = 0, 2 , 17.0

marker_beacon = 1, 2 , 17.0

gear_warning = 0, 2 , 17.0

fuel_pump = 0, 5 , 17.0

starter1 = 0, 20, 17.0

light_nav = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_beacon = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_landing = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_taxi = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_strobe = 0, 5 , 17.0

light_panel = 0, 5 , 17.0

max_battery_voltage = 24.0

generator_alternator_voltage = 28.5

max_generator_alternator_amps = 400.0

Good luck

Thank you, Tiger! :)

The electric_always_available is a good way to dodge the whole generator switch question, that's very true.

Usually, the Max_battery_voltage is 24, and the generator_alternator_voltage is 28. I think those are the standards the devs almost always put in when they put those lines in at all. The line max_generator_alternator_amps depends on the number of systems, and their current draw.

For example, the line light_landing = 0, 5 , 17.0 shows that the minimum amperage draw of that system is 0, and the max is 5 amps. To get the Generator max amps, the safe way to figure it is to add up all the max amp numbers, add in an additional amount for charging the battery, which will drop off after it's charged but is necessary until then. Add in another 15 amps, let's say just for the sake of argument.

In Tiger's example [electrical] section above, the total is 86 amps. I'd round it to 100, just in case there is an add-on that loads things out, like the TCAS, or airborne radar systems, just for example. They aren't shown in the circuit descriptions, but they still CAN draw on the generators, if they are written that way.

I worked with this stuff a lot, in the real world, and once I got into them, the sim worlds too. I tweak things. It's what I do :D

Hope all my babbling helps a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks Tom, I've never seen it done that way.

The OP says his instruments keep shutting down, so I suspect he's saved a flight with the YS-11 instead of starting with the default C172 and then switching to the YS-11 - otherwise the panel would need left & right magneto or generator switches adding instead of battery and avionics switches.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Tom, I've never seen it done that way.

The OP says his instruments keep shutting down, so I suspect he's saved a flight with the YS-11 instead of starting with the default C172 and then switching to the YS-11 - otherwise the panel would need left & right magneto or generator switches adding instead of battery and avionics switches.

that's what i do i start with the default c172 shut it down and then switch to the YS-11 and this is when the instruments stop working

Hi Andy, don't shut down the C172 before switching to the YS-11, shut down the YS-11 after you've switched.

Archived