Black Widdow Flightstick Acting Weirdly

flightstickfail.PNGHello,

I've got an issue with my Black Widow Flightstick that I had bought some two and half years ago. When I apply full throttle, it also causes the rudder moving fully to the left. I don't think it is an FSX issue, as you can see it happening in the calibration interface as well. When I last used it yesterday evening, it stilll worked just fine, and now this. I have already tried using different USB ports, but that doesn't make much of a difference. Only, if I plug it into one in the rear of the PC, it shows a different, but equally unfixable form of miscalibration. Also, I tried re-installing the driver, but that also didn't help. Neither did screwing the thing open and airblasting the electronics inside.

So, is this thing broken or does somebody know a solution to the problem? I'm running it on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Greetings,

Mike.

EDIT: I've added a picture showing the route which the rudder follows when moving the throttle up. Below about 50% thrust, the rudder works normally. Above that, Rudder inputs are ignored, it pulls to the left, no matter what you do about it.

Well, it's in the calibration window, not much going on there assignment-wise. It seems the faulty signals are coming straight from the hardware. Uninstalling the driver and using the one coming with Windows mades no difference whatsoever as well.

I don't have paid FSUIPC, but at least until yesterday that has not been a problem.

Hate to be the bearer of unhappy news, but it appears as if you have a Potentiometer issue... the Throttle Pot is showing signs of wear, or could require cleaning with Contact Cleaner. As the Pot gets worse, it will send faulty signals which can affect other axes on the Joystick.

If you're so inclined, you could take apart the Joystick and clean (or replace) the Pot.

Depending on how the Joystick 'feels', it may be time to replace it.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks for the reply, I feared something like this already. The feel of the joystick, both sidestick and the throdder, are pretty much like new though. Meanwhile, I've contacted the manufacturer's support abouth the issue, let's see what they say.

Greetings, Mike.

Update: SPEEDLINK Support has replied, they suggest it's a worn-out contact or a broken wire. In any case, the fact remains, the joystick is broken. Guess that means stopping by at Amazon's and buying a new one of the same kind, I'm very content with it after all. The low life expectance is just something you must reckon with in this price class.

Greetings, Mike.

Archived