FSX Pop-Up Menus are not visible

So I have a problem that just happened, and I have rebooted and all that.

I am running FSX in windowed mode on my Windows 7 machine.

I was running the NVidia 373.06 driver, but rolled back to 372.90 from 9/20.

The error is that any time I select an option from under the main menu, such as World -> Time and Season, the resulting pop-up is invisible. My only option is to hit enter and go back to the flight screen. I know the pop-up is there, because I can't do anything until I hit Esc or enter.

I am trying to figure out what might have happened to cause this to occur, which happened in the last 24 hours.

The only obvious thing I saw was that Microsoft installed an update this morning, KB3177467, which replaced a bunch of DLL files. Does anyone know if any of those DLL files might have changed and caused this, and if so, which ones? Unfortunately, when I try to uninstall that update, uninstalling is not an option.

Any help that anyone can provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you kindly.

I figured it out.

Turns out, Nvidia added a service called "NVIDIA Share" that allows you to instant replay, record videos, and live stream your game playing sessions. Unfortunately, NVIDIA doesn't recognize FSX as a configurable game, and the default is for Share to be "On" instead of "Off."

You have to go under the NVIDIA app, find the section for "Share", and slide the slider to the left to disable it. Apparently, it and FSX don't seem to get along in Windowed mode (but might work in full-screen mode).

I hope that saves someone else the heartache.

For future ref - to find out what files are installed/changed by a specific KB go to the MS website and search for the KB number. It will provide a dedicated info page for the KB that gives details of such things as:

The target OS(s), any other KB's that need to be already installed and a list of the files contained within the KB along with their version numbers.

Regards

Brian

• 5 months later...
I hope that saves someone else the heartache.

Thank you, I had the same problem but with newer NVIDIA driver 378.72:

not just the default menu bar options, but even the plugin windows from the addon menu (FSUIPC,...) were invisible.

A work around was to bring another window (for example firefox) in the foreground, after minimizing it, the overlaid part of the FSX window was shown correctly.

Now, I found your hint to disable NVIDIA Share in "Geforce Experience" - it solved my probem.

Archived