SCENERY.CFG file error when starting FSX SE

AllenJackson

I receive the following error message when starting FSX SE:

SCENERY.CFG fie error.Local Scenery directory (Scenery\SAME\SCENERY) in scnery) in Scenery Area.113 not found.

I have done hours of research and tried all the options I've found without success.

History:

This started after I had removed EZDOK from my system !

I've downloaded and run FSscenery.

I have an empty AddOn scenery folder with a \scenery and \texture (this is Area.120 the last entry)

The Sim appears to be running OK....so far.

My scenery.cfg for the problem area is as follows:

[Area.113]

Title=Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

Local=Scenery\Global

Layer=113

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

As you will be aware this is a mandatory scenery area and cannot be removed or edited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Allen

Either those files within \Scenery\global have been corrupted and the game can't find them, or they have been moved and the sim doesn't know where they are located anymore. Have you tried doing a search for that file on your PC?

I'm not a scenery pro, so that's the only idea I can think of.

by the way, it won't do anything to the sim by being missing, but you will be missing some scenery static objects, like cars for example.

Sorry I'm not more help atm...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I receive the following error message when starting FSX SE:

SCENERY.CFG fie error.Local Scenery directory (Scenery\SAME\SCENERY) in scnery) in Scenery Area.113 not found.

I have done hours of research and tried all the options I've found without success.

History:

This started after I had removed EZDOK from my system !

I've downloaded and run FSscenery.

I have an empty AddOn scenery folder with a \scenery and \texture (this is Area.120 the last entry)

The Sim appears to be running OK....so far.

My scenery.cfg for the problem area is as follows:

[Area.113]

Title=Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

Local=Scenery\Global

Layer=113

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

As you will be aware this is a mandatory scenery area and cannot be removed or edited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Allen

Repair with scenery config editor

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Here is what is in the SAME (South America) and GLOBAL folders. Might help? Did you do any 'manual' edits to scenery.cfg? I created a seperate folder, named 'Add On Scenery CB' and install all downloaded scenery under that. I NEVER put anything in the default 'Add On Scenery' folder. NEVER. I create a folder for each scenery (named to ID the scenery) and add a 'Scenery' and a 'Texture' folder (if required) under that. I activate thru FSX and just do 'Add Area' and let FSX edit the scenery.cfg. I NEVER do any 'manual' edits to scenery.cfg. FSX handles all the 'Area.xxx', 'Layer.xxxx', etc, listing, order, etc, PERFECT (for last 12 years). I believe you can rename scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.bck and when you start FSX it will write a new one. Might work.

Chuck B

Napamule

FSX Scenery_SAME & Global.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Oh heck. Just noticed it's 'FSX SE' related. Here are some hints, suggestions. You should delete and re-do the FSscenery install if you can and re-locate it, as below. Good luck.

FSX Steam Edition - Scenery Folders:

DEFAULT LOCATION:

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/Addon Scenery/Texture

YOUR New Location:

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/AddOn Scenery AJ/Scenery

(your system)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/FSX/AddOn Scenery AJ/Scenery

(the 'AJ' is your initials. Name doesn't matter. Name it 'AddOn Scenery BOO' if you want). And the reason for this: So you can locate and remove the scenery FILES (bgl & bmp) if (and when) it causes problems and sometimes they do.

'(your system)' can be 'C' drive, 'D' drive, ..... 'Z' drive. As long as FSX KNOWS

(by you 'pointing' to it (which is the WHOLE purpose of 'Settings/Scenery'+

'Add Area' operation!!). I doesn't matter WHERE it is located, it will find it and

use it.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: My prior post works good for FSX Acceleration. SE Edition is different of course.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

SOLVED!!! Thankyou guys.

The problem was that the missing folder had been moved (don't know how - wasn't me!) to the folder below

Simply moved it back and hey presto.

I think what was throwing me was the Area.113 in the error message, it wasn't that area at all but Area.13

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction..

Glad you got it fixed and working!

I believe you can rename scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.bck and when you start FSX it will write a new one. Might work.

Chuck B

I won't swear to it, but I think doing that will prevent the sim from starting at all.

As far as I know, the Scenery.cfg the sim uses is located here: C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX. At least on my computer. There is at least one back-up file, named Oldscenery.cfg, that is created any time the Scenery file is changed. Then there is a scenery.cfg file in the main FSX folder. I am not certain which one the sim uses, but on my system, the file in the main FSX folder has remained the same, unchanged, since I installed FSX. Tells me that at worst, I can back-up the one it IS using, the one in the C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX folder, and copy the unmodified one over to take it's place. This, I believe, restores the Scenery.cfg file to what it was when you installed the Sim initially. Before any add-ons of any sort were activated in the Scenery Library menu.

But once again, I am pretty sure that you can't just rename the .cfg file and have it build a new one. The sim just won't start.

I believe. I think (although seldom). I am not absolutely certain though.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Pat,

You are right. It won't rebuild it. And if you rename the one in main FSX folder, FSX will not start. Just tried it. But 'moral support' is all that is required sometimes, so we helped him look closer and he solved his problem. Life is good.

Chuck B

Napamule

so we helped him look closer and he solved his problem. Life is good.

I'm glad we could help the OP out :D And glad he's up and flying, too.

And you're 100% right about that! Life is indeed good. I might even go so far as to say really good. Maybe not though... :p :rolleyes:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe that he could have simply logged onto the Steam client and done a repair from there. I had the same thing happen, and that's how I remedied the situation. No messing around trying to figure out what was wrong or how to fix it. It was very simple.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FTR, FSX will rebuild the working copy of the scenery.cfg if you delete it.

The working copy is in...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

...or...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

...if you have a side by side install of FSX Boxed and FSX Steam.

That folder may be hidden. If so, go into Folder Options in the Control Panel and check "Show hidden files, folders and drives" on the View tab.

Leave the copy in your root FSX folder as is, it is there for a reason.

And that reason is the root folder copy is a fallback. FSX uses the root folder copy if it cannot find the C:\Program Data copy, or if it finds one there and it is unusable.

If you delete, or rename, the fallback copy FSX will not start.

What you find in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX or C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE is written when FSX crashes and you get the "do you wanna tell MS about this?" message.

You can delete those without harming FSX one iota.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived