Video card problems.

I have an HP Pavilion computer that has a built-in Radeon dual head video card. Up until recently, thinsg have been fine. I've been running two monitors successfully. Now, for some reason, the DVI side of the card has quit. I can only use the VGA connection. I've tried to disable the on board card, and install a PCI-E card, but the computer will not boot up with that card installed.

Any ideas as to why the on board DVI side might have quit working? I really like having the ability to use 2 monitors, not only for simming, but other things as well.

Thanks,

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Either your video card driver needs to be reinstalled or upgraded or the card went kaput.

install a PCI-E card, but the computer will not boot up with that card installed.

Make sure your current PSU has enough wattage.

Have went swapped cables?

There is a difference between dvi-i and dvi-d

make sure you use the correct one. Or the right kind of dvi to vga converter.

Try a different cable.

Other idea. Is the monitor set to dvi input. If it has two connectors you sometimes need to set that using the buttons on the monitor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This has worked fine for many years, until recently when one side of the video card went kaput. I'm suspecting that it has just crashed and will no longer work.

From what I've read, all I need to do, is disable the onboard Radeon video card, shut the machine down, insert new PCI-E card and boot-up. At least that's the instructions as set out by HP. When I do that, the machine beeps a few times, but will not boot.

I guess I'll live with only one monitor until the other side crashes. and the buy a new machine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does the monitor have a dvi and a vga connector? And does it work fine with it's vga connector? But not with dvi? Does it show anything via dvi, like a message?

If so it could well be set to take input only via the vga port on the monitor. Sometimes you set it with a button on the monitor. Sometimes via the OSD (on screen display) menu of the monitor.

It would mean the dvi port on the mainboard is actually fine.

Please give answers to some of the questions above. It would help to know what connectors are on the monitor. And also to know what made you conclude the onboard dvi on the mainboard isn't working.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello

Just out of interest i to have an HP Pavilion PC.

I only use one monitor and have no problems.

As suggested by another post in this thread you may want to check out your PSU wattage .

In my Pavilion (can get model if you need it )about three years old .

The PSU is only rated at 180 watts, so you may be limited in your choice of card ,unless you upgrade the power supply.(maybe why your PC won't boot with new card installed)

As an aside my original PC by coincidence also a Pavilion ,bought in 2000 had a 250 watt PSU and I believe that was considered low powered even then.

Anyways some thoughts.

Cheers Andy

Hi, If your onboard graphic card is disabled, and you insert a new graphic card, power up the PC and it respons by BEEPS. It will tell you that the new card is not detected by your motherboard.

- check if the new card is FULLY inserted. ( clean the contacts with alcohol i.e. )

- check if the new card is supported by your PC

- check if the new card require a extra 6/8 pins power connector

- check if any of your monitor cable does not have a bend pin

regards Peter

I can only assume that the on-board video card has gone kaput! This machine has run two monitors for the entire time I've owned it, which is 3-4 years. Nothing new added. Nothing changed recently. It just flat stopped using both video ports. So, I now have one more extra monitor. ;)

Thanks for for all the suggestions, but I guess the machine is just getting old and tired like I am.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't understand. Now you say both posts don't work. But before it was just the Dvi.

If they both don't work, then can you not use the pc at all now?

Could that be because you disabled the onboard video in the bios?

To undo that while you have no display is easy. Reset the bios. Disconnect the pc from Mains Power, then use the jumper on the mainboard to reset the bios.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry for pushing. I once spent a month nursing an old AMD pc back to life. So rewarding when it finally posted and beeped for the first time. :)

what pc is this? Make, model, processor, etc

And what videocard?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, both ports did not quit. Just one, which is why I now have an extra monitor. (I had two working-now only one). The computer still runs, albeit with only 1 monitor capability.

It's not a big enough problem that I'm going to spend much time or money to fix. I'll just live with one monitor.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, both ports did not quit. Just one, which is why I now have an extra monitor. (I had two working-now only one). The computer still runs, albeit with only 1 monitor capability.

It's not a big enough problem that I'm going to spend much time or money to fix. I'll just live with one monitor.

Darrell

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?

So it's just the DVI.

Then why not try some of our suggestions? They were all good suggestions. So what's the problem?

I'm imagining this:

You say: "It suddenly didn't work anymore."

so maybe:

you thougth "I'll switch off screen two"

you wanteed to press the screens 'Power' button,

but you pressed the button that swtches the screens imput from DVI to VGA instead.

The screen does of ourse turn black.

But then you try to switch it on by pressing the power button, and it doesn't switch on.

|||

So then the monitor is set to "VGA input"

not a problem in the computer,

nothing wrong with the DVI port,

no new card needed,

and takes all of two seconds to fix. Just press th "Input" button on the front of the monitor.

Why not evn try?

The other fixes are easy to do as well. No special skills required. And if you need help with something, just ask.

If it's really too difficult, then you can very likely have this fixed for a nominal fee by a pc store. But at least have a go yourself, it's not difficult.

--------------

give us a little more to go on too.

you still haven't said what pc, what card, and what monitor you are using.

And does the monitor still wotrk at all???

have you tested that on another PC? How do you know it's not just a broken monitor.

Without that info blaming the DVI port on the mainboard is jumping to conclusions.

---

sSo far it looks like ou didn't try anything that was suggested.

If you did, tell us. Give some feedback please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have tried many of the suggestions.

It is not the monitor-it's running fine as a second screen on my laptop.

I swapped cables with a different set. Not a problem with the cables.

Ive tried 3 different video cards, and machine will not boot, even with the onboard disabled. (As a point of explanation, I've built and rebuilt a large number of computers). So, I am not a newbie at this.

I have not reset the BIOS, which I may do.

I can only assume at this point that one port of the onboard video card has quit.

And, as stated earlier, I am not willing to throw any money at this old HP Pavilion computer. HP, in their infinite wisdom, design their machines pretty much in a way that they want you to send it to them for repairs, upgrades, etc. I bought this 3-4 years ago, off the shelf, because my home built crashed and I needed a computer in a hurry. No more! I'll go back to building my own.

So, as it stands right now, I am going to run this machine with only one monitor, and when the thing finally totally dies, I will build a new, better machine.

I do thank everyone for their input, but as of now, I am not going to put any more effort into repairing this machine.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm TOTALLY baffled, guys! I hooked up a different monitor that did have the digital/vga switch, switched it digital, and it worked. I then un-plugged that monitor and put the original one back, and it's working. I have no idea why, or what caused the original one to malfunction, but everything is AOK now!

I have no idea what happened, but I am happy to have two screens once again!

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm TOTALLY baffled, guys! I hooked up a different monitor that did have the digital/vga switch, switched it digital, and it worked. I then un-plugged that monitor and put the original one back, and it's working. I have no idea why, or what caused the original one to malfunction, but everything is AOK now!

I have no idea what happened, but I am happy to have two screens once again!

Darrell

We are using HP desktops at work, quite a lot of them. They sometimes do the same thing, with the DisplayPort connection. You shut the PC down, unplug the power line, reconnect it, switch it on, and the screen remains dark. Some of them don't even boot up any more. We then switch to VGA and this usually works. But more often than not, just leaving them be will work too - suddenly the DP gets reactivated and everything is back to normal. I think this may be some kind of overvoltage protection, that deactivates the ports under certain circumstances (or the sun is shining, or it rains, or there are cosmic rays about, who knows).

I found this thread on installing dedicated graphics in hp pavillion. It refers to psu. (i know, you don't want to upgrade that) but it also refers to setting the resolution low first. That may help. Worth reading.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2282746/desktop-shows-black-screen-installing-pci-graphics-card-pavilion-desktop-solved.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing with the video card has failed. I don't know what the problem was, but it has resolved itself, and as my earlier post states, I have two monitors working just like they have from day one. Might have been a Win10 problem, which IMO is garbage! I absolutely hate Win10!
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived