New to FSX, a few questions?

MagyarMatt

Greetings all,

I recently purchased FSX:SE and is the first time I've used a flight sim in years. Needless to say I'm seriously hooked. I'm also overwhelmed by the shear volume of add ons it is possible to get for this so I have just a few questions about some of them.

AI Traffic mods.

I've see there are a few to choose from and I was thinking about getting Ultimate Traffic 2. What I'd like to know is as well as the additional planes in game does it also enhance the Air traffic radio chatter i.e real airline callsigns to other planes etc.

Whilst on that subject is it possible to download additional voice packs for the controllers? Nothing more immersion breaking than being handed over and hearing the same voice from the new controller!

Aircraft add-ons. Again I see there are a staggering number to choose from. But aside from visuals and other aesthetic improvements what do you get?

What I mean is I'm currently mostly flying the Boeing 737-800 that came with the original game. If I downloaded an add on 737-800 how different is it to fly in terms of do I still just use the same set up and controls or is there a whole new degree of depth and complexity to get to grips with?

Welcome to the crazy world of FSX and our totally sane Flightsim.com forums!;) Just about any addition of AI aircraft, whether from a freeware source like WOAI or a payware like you mentioned, you will get plenty of ATC chatter.

I also recommend getting either the freeware or payware edition of EditVoicePack. This will greatly improve ATC for airline names and callsigns.

I fly a freeware version of the 737-800 from Project Opensky. Much improvement over the default models. Very easy to fly!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hello!

I am fairly new here too and have been flight simming for just under a year... the volume of addons available is, quite frankly, amazing.

With addon aircraft, it depends how in depth you want to go... you can fly the default CRJ, or a PMDG 737 which is certifed by Boeing and performs within 5% of the real thing... I have owned it for a few months now and I still need to get used to the handling /flight dynamics, but I find the approach with these addons is just to buy them then learn how to use them. Start with something simple, the Qualitywings 757 is cheap, detailed and the engine sounds are awesome. It is easy to handle and is a great introductory level aircraft that requires FMC programming. A few other suggestions are the Aerosoft A318-21, which have an auto-checklist option which ensures the right buttons are pressed.

I think World of AI is a great source of AI traffic... virtually all airlines are there, and what's more, for free!

There are ATC addons available, but I can't comment as I've never tried them. If you want to talk to real people, Vatsim is an idea for when you know what you're doing.

Depending on how good your computer is, a few of the following, besides good A/C addons, will improve your level of immersion:

-Payware airports (from FSDT, FSDG, Aerosoft, Taxi2Gate, UK2000 etc)... nothing like recognising features from airports you've been to... Taxi2gate Orlando is a personal favourite!

-A good weather engine (gives real world weather, can be bought via steam store for an auto install, and good price)

-REX textures (Improves water, sky textures, clouds, runways etc, and it can all be customised to suit what you like... again, steam store has the best price)

-GSX for realistic handling at airports, from pushback to catering

Hope this helped, and welcome to the forums!

Click "File Library" link. It's at the top of every page. Select "advanced search". Thousands of freeware addons available. Many goodies to be found. Plus it's great practice learning how to install things.

Start slow, one addon at a time. No need to rush.

And learn to fly the default planes first. That's a good base you can build on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the replies. So i already have a few add ons. The Orbx global, a weather add on (next gen weather or something called along those lines!) and some general airport texture enhancements.

I'll definitely have a look at the World of AI add on i think. Vatsim sounds right up my street but definitely one for the future when i know how to do everything properly!

As for the planes. I'll have to dip into that as i would like as realistic challenging feel as possible ultimately.

That said I'm happy enough in my default 737 at the moment although a bit more turbulence would be nice. I don't know if I've just been ultra lucky with the weather or its a limitation of the default 737 flight model but all my approaches seem unrealisticly steady!

I experienced some mid altitude turbulence on a flight last night which was great but the approaches are just too smooth for my liking.

Archived