VOR Navigation?

farhan3201

Ok, I have no ida on how to really explain this, but how do I actually use VOR navigation, to navigate to an airport. I know how to use it as in tuning and staying on path, but how I use it to direct to an airport runway, and how do I use an airway and get to a runway with it? I'm really confused about this, like how do I plan it to make it head to the runway, and how do real pilots actually do it? Sorry if I'm really confusing, hopefully you understand. Thanks!

:-P

It is getting more difficult to do it with just VOR navigation. The last part of the route you normally will fly into a big airport is called a standard terminal arrival, or STAR. They used to be mostly based on VORs and sometimes NDBs. But these days they are RNAV routes, which require RNAV equipment to fly.

Skyvector is a cool website that can help you plot a course using airways. Then you can get STAR charts for most airports from Flightaware, as well as get real world routes.

Try using your FS Flight Planner (MENU bar -Flights\Flight Planner\Create a Flight); plot a flight from your departure to your destination as you wish with the Flight Planner, and save it as a flight plan - you can edit it any time you wish.

As you create or edit the plan in Flight Planner, look at the vertical map view of your arrival airport, select a fix (named triangle usually) 2 to 5 nm from the extended runway centerline you want to use, drag the red course line to the fix and select it as part of your flight plan. If no fix seems available, simply drag the red course line on the map someplace appropriate and the planner will insert a "waypoint" named WP1 (any additional random points will be named in succession -WP2, WP3 etc).

The kneeboard card for your planner will give a course and distance from the previous fix -if that is a VOR, it will be the outbound radial to track to WP1. At the kneeboard distance along that radial, you can turn toward the runway. You obviously have to lead the turn to final based on ground speed, and have descended to an appropriate altitude as you approach the fix. Practice switching to an outside view to see how the airplane approaches the final course to the runway to help line up - cockpit view is tough to judge until you are pretty well lined up.

I did this a while ago, was difficult at first to master, but got the hang of it. I always practice different types RNAV, ILS, VOR/DME, LOC/DME now can I do all :D. It will come to you. When I learned RNAV, I kept at it. Did more than 1 flight using RNAV and got it in no time.

Its practice

I'm a newbie and also and you have to read alot

I use the vor to get to the airport then I turn off the vor and put on the full outside view and land

You need to use the rudder which I just realized

I make it about half the time but getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived