nosewheel

wolf2

Nosewheel lock is not a standard feature of FSX so there is no keyboard assignment.

If some sort of nosewheel lock or Nosewheel steering switch is implemented in your panel, it's not possible to assign a key to it. However, such a feature should be mentioned in the documentation which came with the plane/panel.

If you are expecting your aileron control to turn the wheel, make sure autorudder is on.

Otherwise, rudder control is the normal way to control the nosewheel.

If you still cannot figure out out what is wrong, I uploaded a controller diagnostics tool to the library "controlPos.zip"

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I know of tail-wheel locks in the aircraft.cfg but never saw nose-wheel locks. Any particular aircraft, Phil?

Looking under the SDK Situation Variables, it does have one for nose wheel lock. I would guess that the developer for an aircraft would have to put it into his model. Maybe he would use a cockpit switch for it??

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

yes, the acceleration hornet. unless youre going absurdly slow already, you cant touch the brakes for even a quarter of a second without the nose slewing wildly off center. this makes landings incredibly annoying. a handful of other planes do the same thing. others that fly and land just as fast never do, so ive considered just swapping out the flight models.

Phil Colvin

While it is true there is an SDK Simulation Variable to detect if a nosewheel lock has been activated, there appears to be no corresponding Event ID to actually lock it.

Simulation Variable Description Units Settable Multiplayer

NOSEWHEEL LOCK ON True if the nosewheel lock is engaged. Bool N

Regardless, the real problem here is he needs to contact the vendor and/or test his controls to make sure FSX is getting input from the keyboard. Rudder controls the nosewheel and if autorudder is activated, aileron can control the rudder.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I edited the rear wheels of the fa18 a bit, and changed the nose-wheel steering angle. That helped stopping in a straight line and turning.

Make a backup of the original aircraft.cfg file first.

new points:

//;Gear  //originals
//========0====1======2=====3====4===5====6====7======8====9===10=====11==12=13=14=15==
//point.0=1, -18.00,   0.00, -6.60, 1600, 0, 0.6349, 75.0, 0.2000, 3.5, 0.6100,  3.0,  3.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
//point.1=1, -35.50,  -4.90, -7.40, 1600, 1, 0.6349,  0.0, 0.4000, 2.5, 0.5456,  3.9,  3.9, 2, 0.0, 0.0
//point.2=1, -35.50,   4.90, -7.40, 1600, 2, 0.6349,  0.0, 0.4000, 2.5, 0.5456,  3.7,  3.7, 3, 0.0, 0.0
;Gear   //edited '0' '1' and '2'
//======0====1=====2=====3=====4==5==6==7======8====9====10===11==12=13=14==15==
point.0=1, -18.00,   0.00, -6.60, 1600, 0, 1, 75.0, 0.2000, 3.5, 0.8100,  3.0,  3.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0
point.1=1, -35.50,  -5.10, -7.40, 1600, 1, 1,  0.0, 0.4000, 2.5, 0.5456,  3.9,  3.9, 2, 0.0, 0.0
point.2=1, -35.50,    5.10, -7.40, 1600, 2, 1,  0.0, 0.4000, 2.5, 0.5456,  3.7,  3.7, 3, 0.0, 0.0

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

Il, forgive me if I'm missing something, I'm not wearing my glass at the moment, but from what I can see of your changes to the wheels, you widened the stance and made the wheels bigger around each, but you didn't change the steering angle of the nosewheel. It's 75° on the unchanged and changed entries. Am I just missing the obvious? I wouldn't be surprized.

Wolf2, first, when flying the Hornet, you're supposed to use the drag of the speed-brake, flaps, and stabilators to slow down. The stabilators (horizontal stab) are very large and have a high drag coefficient if used at speed. IE: Stick full back during the landing roll. At least above 60 kts. Below that retract the flaps and speed brake and use the wheel brakes sparingly. Don't steer with them though. Use the nosewheel steering. Use both brakes together.

Aero-braking is also a good method of slowing during the landing roll. Keep the nose off the ground as long as possible. Let the drag of the wings and body, as well as the other stuff, do the job.

Second, and I may sound like a broken record, but instead of the default accel Hornet, dl and install the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v16.1 :D It is amazing. Period. Best Hornet for the sim there is, bar none. I never have a bit of trouble slowing down on the runway, provided I stay within the crosswind limits of the Hornet, not to mention the landing weight, as defined in the NATOPS. You can dump fuel to get below the required landing weight if needed. It also has antiskid modeled in, with a switch in the VC to activate/de-activate it. Or you can assign a key combo or joystick key to it. It's a great plane.

I can post the DL location if you desire.

Not super helpful, sorry. Best I can offer, though.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

hey thanks, Patrick! I do have one of the improved versions from dreamteam as u know, but its one of the older ones. yes, would u post that link please? one question tho - there was soooooo much labor involved in adding all those great textures for the version I have now. will they still work on the latest one?

Phil Colvin

Hey gang :D

Il, you said in your post that you had changed the nosegear steering angle, but it was the same in both sets of contact point entries, that's what confused me. Not that it hard to do...:p

Wolf2, here ya go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view

Enjoy! This latest vrsion, v16.1 is a real joy to fly :D

It sounds like you've got one of Peter's versions, by your comment about all the different liveries involved. First, no, you can't use those liveries in the new version. Sorry.

Having said that, Jimi has a great way of keeping the folder sizes and install time reasonable. You have to load a "Base" version, and the autoinstaller takes care of that for you, which isn't selectable as a flyable aircraft. It has the panel files, models, MOST of the textures, sound files, and the .air file. Then you choose the different "loadouts" you want installed, like an A-A loadout (centerline tank, Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles), Training (just a centerline tank, and the ejector racks), Clean (no external stores), or whatever. Or all of them. It's your choice. Me, personally, tend to fly the Training and Clean loadouts mostly, but that's because I do testing for them and want to have consistent data. And should you decide to install more or different loadouts later, just run the installer again, and away you go!

Point to all this is that , while each loadout folder will have texture folders in it, they will contain just the unique textures needed for that particular loadout. Like missiles, or bombs, or whatever, not the entire texture set for the aircraft. Shortens install times dramatically, not to mention the size of the various folders. Once the Base version is installed, 95% or all the texture files are there and ready to go, whatever loadout you choose to fly.

Find your favorite, fly different "missions" the F/A-18 flies, like BARCAP, or a Hi-Lo-Lo-Hi bombing run, "fighting" your way in, do CQ's, whatever.

Finally, it's TACPAC enabled, so if you have a subscription to that you can use it on this Hornet. I don't (I can't afford any kind of payware), but it's there and ready to go.

The installer also installs the correct .NET Framework version, and in the correct and proper place on your PC for you. It takes a little while, and sometimes you might think it's frozen, but just let it run.

Hope all this helps you out. It's such a wonderful plane to fly. There have been real-life Hornet drivers comment that it's the closest they've seen to how the real plane flies, and the systems work. Including the military's simulator systems used for training. To me, THAT says something significant!

Enjoy, and have fun always :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

thanks again, pat, sounds impressive indeed! this is the texture I'm most concerned about. long story why, but it's associated with good memories. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?289904-all-time-favorite-texture!

how many textures does the linked one come with, and is that one of them? if not, do u know a link for extra textures for the 16.1 version?

Phil Colvin

Archived