RTW Retro Flight #R68 Paris to Tunis . . . . . . 1961

NMLW

Air France Flight 706 is a Lockheed L1049G Constellation on a 911 mile flight from Paris Orly to Tunis’s El Aouina airport (LFPO - DTTA). We have 2,500 gallons of fuel on board for this flight of about 2 hours and 55 minutes. The weather is fair with moderate to light cloud cover. We will be cruising at an altitude of 19,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Lockheed L1049G Super Constellation. The Aircraft model and original textures are by Manfred Jahn and Team. The 1956 Air France paint is by Ken Lawson.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper at www.calclassic.com

Scenery and Add-ons: MS FS2004 v9.1 Standard and:

- Paris Orly by Harry Biard, Nikko Yaginuma, Jaap de Baare, Wolfgang Gersch, Tom Gibson and Bernard Leuenberger at www.calclassic.com

- Tunis El Aouina 1960 by Michael “SABI” Schneider, Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard and Tom Gibson at www.calclassic.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries v4 by Wolfgang Gersch at www.calclassic.com.

- REX FS9 w/Overdrive SP5 for sky, cloud, weather, water/waves, runway, taxiway textures, sun and runway lighting.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II, FS Genesis Europe and UT Europe.

- HDE 2.0 grass texture enhancement by Pablo Diaz.

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

L-1049G_01.jpg

Loading passengers at Paris Orly.

L-1049G_02.jpg

Starting Engine number one.

L-1049G_03.jpg

Taxiing out to Rwy. 2 for departure to Tunis.

L-1049G_04.jpg

Takeoff and retracting the gear.

L-1049G_05.jpg

Turning on course for Tunis with the River Seine below.

L-1049G_06.jpg

Climbing thorough 5,000 feet south of Paris near the small community of Le Coudray-Montceaux.

L-1049G_07.jpg

With the Seine snaking southward 10,000 feet below us we level out to throttle back and shift the blowers to high.

L-1049G_08.jpg

Having resumed our climb we are now passing through 16,000 feet.

L-1049G_09.jpg

Cruising at 19,000 about 250 miles from Paris we see the city of Lyon below.

L-1049G_10.jpg

We are over the southeastern French Alps near the small commune of Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban.

L-1049G_11.jpg

Nearing the coast we see the small commune of La Môle off our right wing.

More in the reply . .

Larry

Click to Enlarge . . . . . .

L-1049G_12.jpg

Close to the halfway point of our flight we leave France and the Côte d'Azur (French Riviera) behind as we head out over the Mediterranean Sea.

L-1049G_13.jpg

Looking out over the right wing at the sea about 60 miles from the Italian island of Sardinia.

L-1049G_14.jpg

The Gulf of Oristano on the western coast of Sardinia is just ahead and to our left.

L-1049G_15.jpg

Cruising 70 miles from the coast of Tunisia.

L-1049G_16.jpg

About forty-five miles from Tunis we begin our initial descent.

L-1049G_17.jpg

Descending through 11,000 feet we are in Tunisian airspace over the Bay of Bizerte.

L-1049G_18.jpg

At 5,000 feet we turn toward the airport.

L-1049G_19.jpg

With Lake Tunis and Tunis Harbor in the background we line up our approach to Rwy. 11 at El Aouina.

L-1049G_20.jpg

We are nearing the threshold with gear and flaps down.

L-1049G_21.jpg

Touchdown.

L-1049G_22.jpg

Parked at the terminal and passengers disembarked. Thanks for flying Air France.

Larry

Once again I was pleased to be aboard! A great trip without turbulence. My 1st class seat was comfortable, and the old bird didn't rattle and clatter half as much as I expected. All in all, a perfectly wonderful flight, although I cannot for the life of me remember why I wanted to go to Tunis!

Larry, any ideas as to where I could find a Super Connie in the Eastern Airlines colors. I have great memories of those bird flying over my house when I was in College. (RDU) Am using FSX and cannot seem to find same.

You certainly do great work.

Bill Foushee

http://www.virtualeastern.com/Golden%20Falcon/Fleet/LOC.htm

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived