Windows 10 Condemmed

ColR1948

I recently heard that MS will be charging for Windows 10 updates, service packs, etc. which will make it a subscription app like the games on your mobile.

Even though FS9 and FSX can be made to run on Windows 10, your old favourite complex add-on aircraft such as Wilco Airbus series can't.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

tin+foil+hat.jpg

Don't believe everything you hear or read on the Internet.

Windows licenses for business users may go to subscription basis, but zero has been announced concerning Win 10 home use/consumers.

And as the referenced story clearly quotes:

Stuart Miles, founder of gadget news site Pocket-lint, said: "With a rollout of this size, it is always likely there will be issues and problems experienced by some users.

"On the whole, Windows 10 has been received well, and was a notable step up from the previous Windows 8 ... "

When you say don't believe everything you hear and read on the internet does that mean all those threads and posts of people having problems with Windows 10 are making it up?

You can do a search on this forum alone and find lots of threads about W10 and the problems, perhaps those people are imagining it, yes some have got W10 and finding it OK but as I have said before a lot more are not finding it OK.

My 2x upgrades went perfectly.

Firstly, it was not 'forced' onto me at all! I decided to upgrade myself by using that Windows Tool to do it. My Windows 7 laptop, my main i5 one, upgraded perfectly, I just had to manyally update the graphics drivers. My Celeron laptop also was a perfect upgrade, no issues at all.

On my i5 laptop, I'm running 3x versions of FS2004, 2 in the normal default directory, & 1x in the C:\ drive, as well as P3D in it's default install position. My UAC settings is turned right down, as it always has been, & I run as Admin.

So, I have 2x different situations, with very different specced machines, running perfectly. In fact, my loading times is actually quicker that when I was running Windows 7. The smaller laptop, Celeron with 2GB RAM, has always been a lot slower thanthe i5, obviously, & expected with 2GB RAMM.

So, will I recommend Windows 10? Based on my experience, & with the other 3x laptops at home, Yes, I will. i5 & 4GB RAM+ does help!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I recently heard that MS will be charging for Windows 10 updates, service packs, etc. which will make it a subscription app like the games on your mobile.

Even though FS9 and FSX can be made to run on Windows 10, your old favourite complex add-on aircraft such as Wilco Airbus series can't.

OMG

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

There again people saying W10 is OK and why post when it is working perfectly, but you post in answer to a problem one.

I haven't seen many perfect working users answering to the users having problems, if what is said above the perfect working ones would outnumber the problem ones.

I'm not convinced sorry.

Whilst I accept that its a personal choice as to what OS to use, I, personally, don't see why some people keep making such a big deal over the problems associated with moving to W10. As lesh pointed out in post #8 the same problems where encountered with the introduction of W7 (and also with Vistaand W8) and it caused many problems for simmers. Then, as now, fixes/solutions for the problems where found and documented.

Yes, some users, myself included, have made the move and encountered no problems whilst for others it has not been so smooth. However, the community has rallied and found the fixes/solutions, making it easy for anyone who now choses to use W10 to get the their chosen sim up and running. Many of the issues encountered can be negated by some simple pre-upgrade preparation - a simple search on the internet will provides plenty of info on how to best prepare for an upgrade of the OS.

WRT the number of threads highlighting problems with getting a sim working in W10 - there are still threads being opened that highlight similar problems with W7 and W8. One of the main causes for this, IMHO, is that many people simply create a new thread rather than search to see if there is any info/solutions already available.

Regards

Brian

but they will have ironed them out by then won't they?

Why should "they"? It is of no concern to Microsoft if users decide to run software from the previous decade on a current operating system. The next generation of OS might not even be able to run the good ol' FS9/FSX/FS2K/... natively, and we might have to resort to VMWares or emulators to even get them working. This is already the case for many older software titles.

At most you will get a tech note from Microsoft declaring that software made for Windows version prior to (whatever) will not be supported anymore, and that you are on your own if you try anyway.

If there were significant numbers of people who had problems with the upgrade to Windows 10, there would have been huge lawsuits against Microsoft all over the world.

I have upgraded about 10 systems, ranging from an eeE notepad, Win 8.1 mobile phone, laptops to full gaming PC's. None have caused a problem.

FSX was programmed to run on the latest MS operating system available at the time. It is totally unreasonable to expect FSX and its myriad of add-ons to run perfectly on an operating system developed 10 years after its release.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

If it is totally unreasonable to expect FSX to run perfectly on an operating system developed 10 years after its release and yet people are still expecting it to.

At which point the user has to decide if he updates his OS or not. If your computer works as it should, why would you change the operating system? There are always two parts, the compatibility list of the OS and the system requirements of the software that you want to run. FSX Gold DVD system requirements were Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista, and the manufacturer only guarantees compatibility to those two. If you as the user decide to go beyond that, you are on your own.

And there are ways to keep the old OS running even if you update your current system to a different one (VMWare, swappable drives, emulators). But that is your responsibility too.

It has happened many times in the past, that we had to say goodbye to a large collection of software when deciding to switch to a new operating system or even to a new computer system. And it will happen again, because if we insist on the compatibility of software that can not or will not be updated, then there would never be any meaningful progress.

What I cannot understand is why MS was so insistent about the upgrade path. They had to expect all kinds of compatibility issues, and considering the cost for support or even the possible loss-of-face, I am scratching my head why they took that risk. I would have sold the new OS only with new hardware and as stand-alone version upgrades/full versions.

I must apologise to some of you as I seem to knocking Windows 10 more than I should perhaps.

It just annoys me when I keep reading threads and posts about users having problems after upgrading.

I do understand that FS was meant for older systems and to get it working can be a struggle, but what also gets me is the posts of people who say they had FS working perfectly on such and such system/PC and decided to upgrade and since then it has stopped.

Not only stopped but in some cases the user is devastated at the years of having a flight sim just how they want it with some really nice aircraft, scenery and addons and now it seems all is lost.

Like already said above it its working leave it but they get the temptation to upgrade even after reading the pitfalls.

It's also surprising how many people don't backup files just in case, I was guilty of that I will admit but I learned my lesson the hard way, I felt like throwing the PC through the window.

Again as already mentioned there are so many different setups that users have, and it can be hard to help them especially if you don't have all the details, how many threads have we seen that have gone on and on till all of a sudden the user says something that if he had said that earlier it could have been rectified, I'm going off the subject now sorry.

I don't think anyone is denying that some people have had problems. However, those who have look to be a very small percentage of the overall number of users - in July this year it was estimated that Windows 10 was installed on well over 67 million PCs worldwide. Very few (if any) people will start a thread about how Win 10 seems to be working OK for them, they're much more likely to reply to a post about how bad it is. As a result, you only tend to see posts about the problems rather than the successes. Why would you bother to write about the fact that it's doing what it's supposed to do? It's only noteworthy if it doesn't. Even reviews on tech web sites seem to have been overwhelmingly positive about Win 10 and they tend to specifically look for issues.

Most people seem to have forgotten just how many problems occurred when trying to upgrade from XP to Win 7 and yet Win 7 is now seen as a great success. Win 10 has had to cope with a much larger userbase and far more varied, and older, hardware than Win 7 ever did when it launched. As I said in an earlier post, the vast majority of problems seem to have occurred as a result of upgrading to Win 10 rather than to pre-installed or clean-installed versions. Like it or loathe it, Windows 10 is the future!

I agree with you.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting. When you place the Microsoft FS 2004 disk I into the computer to install FS 9 you are asked if you wish to allow this unrecognised programme maker to alter your programme.

It's called UAC, which has been around since Win 7.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

JSkorna,

So Microsoft Windows 10 does not recognise programmes made by Microsoft. Fascinating. I just hope they don't get involved in the software for driverless cars or avionics!

All application installers require permission to install into the Program Files folder. Applications and their installers are also typically signed with a certificate to validate the program and developer. Older installers use older certificates, or may even not have one, than what Windows 10 looks for.

JSkorna,

So Microsoft Windows 10 does not recognise programmes made by Microsoft. Fascinating. I just hope they don't get involved in the software for driverless cars or avionics!

MS Windows 10 does not recognise MS programs written for MS Windows XP because of the increased security required in today's "connected" environment that was not required or available when XP was rolled out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Windows 10 does not get along with SecuRom no matter who the publisher is... might be a way to override that behavior...........\

Its because W10 does not ship with SECDRV - a security utility that has been known to be a security vulnerability since about 2006. As to how bad the vulnerability was viewed aby the security community seems mixed but MS seemed happy to live with it until they introduced W10, effectively making many popular products, including many of their own, non working or relying on a 'illegal patch' to circumvent the issue. They subsequently issued a patch, in the form of a now well documented KB, to disable it in W7, 8 and Vista.

If you use W7, 8 or Vista there are a number of legal and non legal options available to make use of SECDRV. Unfortunately, for W10 users there are no legal ways to do so.

Why MS ignored the problem for so long and then decided to remove, other than their right as the developer to do so, is a mystery.

Regards

Brian

Archived