GTN 750 question

BartZiemski

I am thinking of getting the GTN from Flight1. Is it difficult to integrate it into a VC? I'm particularly interested in using it in Carenado C90 and maybe Hawker 850 (if I ever buy it)

Is GTN "universally compatible" with most VC's? Or pop-up options? - although I'm not really a fan of pop-up's.

Also, can I buy it once off and use it multiple times or one purchase one plane?

I run FSX-SE

Thank you

Bart

The only way to integrate it into a VC is if the airplane creator designs the plane that way.

As the C90 has the PL-21 I doubt you can add the GTN to the VC.

You should be able to add it as a 2D popup Window.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I am thinking of getting the GTN from Flight1. Is it difficult to integrate it into a VC? I'm particularly interested in using it in Carenado C90 and maybe Hawker 850 (if I ever buy it)

Is GTN "universally compatible" with most VC's? Or pop-up options? - although I'm not really a fan of pop-up's.

Also, can I buy it once off and use it multiple times or one purchase one plane?

I run FSX-SE

Thank you

You can use the GTN750 in popup mode with just about any aircraft the uses the default FSX autopilot. To use it in the VC, either the VC designer has to make a place for it as mentioned above (for example, aircraft by Flysimware, Milviz, A2A ) or you can sometimes force fit it inside a space designed for another type of display, like inside the screen space of an unused radar display. The GTN 750 Support Forum has some info on this latter approach http://www.simforums.com/Forums/f1-gtn-gns-series-support-forum_forum54.html. Once you buy the GTN750, you can use it with as many aircraft as you like.

The GTN750 is an impressive GPS that is fun to use, and it works off the same database as used in the 'real world' unit (although updates to the database lag behind the real world unit). However, if you happen to know a benevolent real world pilot who has recently updated their GTN 750 database, you can actually load the discarded out of date real world database (that is no longer being used) into the simulated unit. So as they say, that's about as real as it gets.

Al

As mrzippy was pointing out, If you go to avsim, they host the unofficial Carenado forum, with a dedicated section for each carenado product. In there you will find mods that hugely talented people have done to make carenado planes much better than what they were when carenado released them, including mods to fit the GTN750 in VC mode. I have the GTN750 in several planes and it works flawlessly, including the Hawker and the C90gtx.

The only way to integrate it into a VC is if the airplane creator designs the plane that way.

As the C90 has the PL-21 I doubt you can add the GTN to the VC.

You should be able to add it as a 2D popup Window.

peace,

the Bean

The problem with putting the GTN and the PL21 together, is that you have to choose which one drives the autopilot. One will end up being just for show, with the inability to use any of it's functions, without disturbing the other.

Apples and oranges.

The difference is that the F1 GTN uses the actual Garmin trainer. In over a decade of various PL21 iterations among FS developers, no one's ever got it right. Obviously Collins isn't giving access to any sort of software that can be integrated into FS.

The difference is that the F1 GTN uses the actual Garmin trainer. In over a decade of various PL21 iterations among FS developers, no one's ever got it right. Obviously Collins isn't giving access to any sort of software that can be integrated into FS.

No, the difference is that the GTN 750 is a GPS, while the PL 21 is a complete Flight Management System, they are not interchangeable.

That is the point that I was trying to make.

Given the limitations of the sim, a realistic PL 21 is going to take some pretty fancy gauge coding, far more exotic than anything most devs can produce.

The upcoming Milviz unit looks promising.

As for why anyone would want to add a GTN 750 to a plane with the PL 21, I don't get it.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I thought GTN has features other than just GPS. Like autopilot , radios, ILS, VNAV, departures and approach selections.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The GTN750, like other GPS units, provides LNAV signals to the aircraft's existing autopilot, it is not an autopilot itself. Otherwise, what you say above is essentially correct except the GTN750 does not provide VNAV signals. It does have a utility to help you plan your top of descent point and necessary rate of descent, but you have to initiate and control the descent yourself.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the Carenado C90 GTX with GTN 750 and it is great. You lose the FMC but it is typical Carenado "lite" quality anyway. Can't even do a Direct-To with it. So no great loss.

Search for Bert Pieke in the Carenado forums over there. He is a coding genius.

Also, there is vertical guidance in the GTN, just not VNAV climb like in a 737. So you can fly a GPS approach and you will get the glideslope indication. Just wanted to make sure that you knew it did do vertical guidance, just not the definition of VNAV.

Eddie

Archived