FSX Crashes

ChristoffNY

Hi all,

My FSX keeps crashing mid flight.

I've been on the event viewer to try and get some more info on the causes but all it says it to check the problem in the Action Center control panel but that doesn't turn up anything either. As I say I have no error codes to feed back to you for help.

Am I looking at a reinstall here to try and clear the bug?

Regards,

ChristoffNY

What operating system?

In the event viewer I use:

Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application

Look for the red error representing the last time FSX crashed.

Paste the text from the scrolling window into the chat. Looks something like this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3

Faulting module name: FSCopilot.dll, version: 1.2007.508.1, time stamp: 0x4640a058

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00034f10

Faulting process id: 0x70c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d212bb10422ea8

Faulting application path: G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSCopilot.dll

Report Id: 71a21ffb-7eae-11e6-af79-bcaec58e113e

We are interested in the "Faulting module name:"

If it's unknown, then it's likely an add-on with scenery being the most likely culprit.

If it's uiautomationcore, this is caused by clicking on FS menus in the 3D simulation and the dll needs to be replaced.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi Christoff,

As PV has stated we need more details. He also mentions a possible (and very common with OS newer than XP) cause resulting from making lots of use of the mouse (clicking to make use of the menus and/or switches etc) and mentions a file called uiautomationcore.dll.

To add more info regarding the file - it can be used to resolve the mouse clicking problem by placing a specific FSX friendly version of a file into the root directory of FSX (i.e. C:\FSX).

There are two versions of the file and they can be downloaded from:

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.6001.18000

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mik2mlqdz1w/UIAutomationCore.zip

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/U/UIAutomationCore.dll/6.0.5840.16386/download.html

The first one listed seems to be the one that works for most users. It is important to note that the file must be placed only in the root directory of FSX and no other location. If you search your system drive you will find other versions of the file - leave them alone as they will used by other programs.

Regards

Brian

Hi guys,

I am using windows 7.

Please find below the copy and paste from event viewer;

The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61637.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1a30

Start Time: 01d21688a63223dd

Termination Time: 122

Application Path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe

Report Id: 949f2384-8280-11e6-af65-b8975a64a18c

No mention of any module?

However it is interesting you guys mentioned clicking many switches, it does seem that the crashes occur mainly (although not exclusively) during auto pilot controlled stages of flight and I've made changes to this or turning lights on and off etc.

Kind regards,

Christoff

This to me looks like you are pasting the text from the alert box rather than the Windows Event Viewer, or you are looking at the wrong portion of the Viewer. There is more information available than has been given here.

The clicking problems caused by 64 bit OS uiautomationcore is caused by clicking the items in the menubar, not the aircraft panels. Another feature of this sort of crash is it does not happen right away or appears random because it's impossible to know how many clicks of what menu items (all of them?) is required to trigger the crash. If you are not able to gather more relavant information, the automationcore replacement does no harm even if it's not the primary cause.

EventViewer.jpg

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hello,

Okay, I'm unsure which part of the Event Viewer I should be looking at, but I'll add some screenshots to the post.

I did find this under the details tab;

-

-

0x80000000000000

Application

Chris-PC

-

fsx.exe

1b38

01d2183664d25a14

C:\FSX\fsx.exe

3939d94b-842a-11e6-aaf4-b8975a64a18c

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

If that is any use?

screenshot.png

Christoff

What operating system?

In the event viewer I use:

Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application

Look for the red error representing the last time FSX crashed.

Paste the text from the scrolling window into the chat. Looks something like this:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3

Faulting module name: FSCopilot.dll, version: 1.2007.508.1, time stamp: 0x4640a058

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00034f10

Faulting process id: 0x70c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d212bb10422ea8

Faulting application path: G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: G:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSCopilot.dll

Report Id: 71a21ffb-7eae-11e6-af79-bcaec58e113e

We are interested in the "Faulting module name:"

If it's unknown, then it's likely an add-on with scenery being the most likely culprit.

If it's uiautomationcore, this is caused by clicking on FS menus in the 3D simulation and the dll needs to be replaced.

-Pv-

Follow PV's instructions to the letter and then save the picture and post it.

Cheers,

Hi,

It is definitely worth it to try the uiautomationcore.dll.

Also I noticed in your event viewer log it said there was an application hang, perhaps this could be because you are running out of virtual memory particularly doing longer flights in aircraft such as pmdg.

Do you have any tweaks in your fsx.cfg because I would highly recommend putting the HIGHMEMFIX = 1 under the [GRAPHICS] section of your fsx.cfg file.

Regards

Bailey

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Do I just add that line into the cfg?

I've not made any tweaks to the cfg before and I'm not sure why the PC would be struggling, there isn't a lot actually on this pc and it was designed for gaming? But I'll give it a try if you just have to pop it in.

Also, not 100% sure how to replace the automationcore.dll? Where do I find the original to be replaced?

Finally, I've posted the info and a screenshot of my event viewer, can anyone make light of what the error message was saying?

Kind regards,

Christoff

You look in custom views -- Administrator events

there find the error relating to fsx,

and look under the "general" tab"

----

Don't go replacing any files.

The uiautomationcore file install means adding it to the main fsx folder. (next to your fsx.exe file.

NOWHERE ELSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

The following LINK, should solve your issue in the second answer. This is fascinating as it has fixed for me long time ago and that was when I crashed every time I made a long flight or even short ones. Now I am flying long hours without any crashes! Try it at your own risk as it involves system.

http://i63.tinypic.com/wlam8.png

Do NOT do that.

That link by kushal says to replace files in system folders.

Stay out of those folders if you want Windows and other programs to keep working!!!

If you don't believe me, read the advice by fxsttcb here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259469-FSX-fatal-error&p=1740056#post1740056

If you have the uiautomationcore error in the event log, add the file to the FSX main folder.

NOWHERE ELSE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris,

+1 on the comments by il88pp at post #15.

I re-iterate my comments in the last paragraph of my post at #3 - only place a copy of the file in the root FSX folder AND leave other versions of the file found in other folders alone - they will be used by the OS and other programs as required.

Basically, by placing the file in the root FSX folder we are fooling FSX into using what is essentially an XP version of the file. When FSX first came out it was built for XP/Vista and therefore referenced/used the subject file that shipped with XP/Vista (where it was found in the Programs folder). Subsequent versions of Windows are developed/coded and configured totally differently from how XP/Vista were and their specific versions of the file are incompatible.

Generally, when a program starts the first place it checks for any specific file(s) it needs to use is in its own root folder. If found, the program will use it/them. If not, it will search in other locations.

WRT to your yet unanswered Q regarding adding the HIGHMEM entry. Make a copy of the current .cfg (for safekeeping just in case you mess up the current .cfg file by accident). and simply open the file in notepad, locate the [GRAPHICS] section and enter the HIGHMEM entry on a new line - it doesn't matter where it is placed within the [GRAPHICS] section- and then close the file, selecting yes to save.

Regards

Brian

Do NOT do that.

That link by kushal says to replace files in system folders.

Stay out of those folders if you want Windows and other programs to keep working!!!

If you don't believe me, read the advice by fxsttcb here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259469-FSX-fatal-error&p=1740056#post1740056

If you have the uiautomationcore error in the event log, add the file to the FSX main folder.

NOWHERE ELSE.

Just for the record, I have not had any issues by doing this and I've been doing this for approximately two years now.

As I said do it at your own risk.

Fully reading the info posted in the link provided by kushal1998 it is clear that:

A. The person who posted the info solely uses the rig to 'fly' FSX and nothing else.

B. Others who have followed his advice but also use the rig for other uses have got problems from following the advice, even those who only use the rig for FS related stuff but not solely for 'flying' - making 'flight' videos for example.

As kushal1998 states - do it at your own risk BUT IMHO its not necessary to do so and simply adding it to the FSX directory is the safest method, even if you solely use the rig to 'fly' - the info I provided at post #16 states why. The uiautomationcore.dll, as with many other .dll files (Dynamic Link Library) are used by multiple applications and basically .dll files hold information about multiple apps/programs and the associated dependencies required by them to run.

Regards

Brian

Do NOT use Kushal's "fix". It WILL ruin your computer.

He says to remove two essential system files.

It's not needed at all. Install the correct version of the uiautomationcore in the fsx folder, so fsx uses that instead.

Leave the system files in place. All your other programs depend on them.

Stay well away from what Kushal recommends. Especially if youy have anything important on your pc. Personal files, work related stuff, Taxes, etc, etc.

---------------------

And no Kushal, your pc does not run perfectly.

A while ago you posted you used this so called 'fix of yours. Yo then said the downside was that when you closed fsx the computer became unresponsive, and the only way to shut the pc down was a 'hard shutdown'. effectively pulling the power cord.

Since you used the 'fix' you posted many error problems. You also had problems with payware not installing, and payware not working after installing.

And that's just fsx.

You have been told that many times. On the forum you linked to, but also on the forum here.

You really should stop giving this advice, you are ruining peoples pc's.

(Or is that exactly what you want?????)

Wake up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What he said.

Guess it comes down to whether you want to listen to those who KNOW, or commit to a major reinstallation or repair project to the core PC. Unfortunately, there are no quailfications to rule out cretinous advice, so the simmer needs to be VERY careful about accepting ANYTHING at face value, without research.

Do NOT use Kushal's "fix"

Hi, I would like to see where I posted my downsides from this method. I've not been here for a long time. I come once in a while.

And no I do not recommend anyone to use this method to fix it, it has worked for me then again If I shared this method maybe it'll fix many peoples issues. Regarding the uiautomation.dll , I added that to my fsx directory, guess what.. It still crashed so I used this method and that made me excited for the first time to fly couple of hours and I needed to share it. But once again, do whatever you need to do.

The way I do this is.

When I want to fly, I delete those two uiautomation in the system folders, I have a backup though. So when I'm done flying, I just put it back to its folder.

So, no need argue about this.

Thanks, again I'm very inactive so I don't know when I'm going to read the reply.

..................Regarding the uiautomation.dll , I added that to my fsx directory, guess what.. It still crashed .........................

I refer you back to my original post in this thread (#3) where I stated that there are 2 versions that are known to work with FSX - try one and test, if no good try the other. AFAIK no other versions of the file works - it must be a 6.0. version. At post #10 I provided another link as one of the original links in post #3 doesn't seem to work anymore.

With a little hindsight it would have been better if you had told us the method you use because, clearly, you are not following the very instructions you are advocating that others use. Removing the files temporary is a totally different kettle of fish from removing them permanently.

..................Thanks, again I'm very inactive so I don't know when I'm going to read the reply............

A tip here - at the top of each thread, located under the thread title, is a menu listing. Use the Thread Tools option to subscribe to the thread. There a number of options as to how you get notifications when new posts are posted.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I've added the memory fix line into the cfg and also added the UI download into my root folder but neither has fixed the issue, my sim continues to crash?

Does anyone have anything else to suggest?

Kind regards,

Chris

EDIT

How do I know if I have downloaded the correct .dll replacement actually?

..........How do I know if I have downloaded the correct .dll replacement actually?..........

Hi Chris,

Hover you mouse over the file and it should display a popup window with the version number OR right click on the file and select Properties from the resulting menu. When the Properties window appears click on the Details tab.

The version number should be one of those that I posted at post #3 - AFAIK only these two files work. Any with a version number of 7.X.XXXX will not as they are native to Win 7 and later.

Regards

Brian

Archived