A suggestion for direct linking to files in the File Library

cheetah621

This is the current method of linking to a specific file in the File Library, correct?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fname=aa-5b.zip

For the longest time, I had this problem of not being able to link to any files in the File Library. There isn't a clear way to do this on each file page or in the search's results. As a matter of fact, I just learned how to link to a specific file using the link method above today (right before I made this thread, actually).

Previously, in the last couple weeks, this was how I was linking to a file:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=50324088

It worked but it's only a temporary link for I don't know how long. It's definitely no more than a day before it expires. In my browser, I often leave a tab (or several tabs, usually too many) on a specific file opened so I can come back later to download it, especially if it was a large file. I'd close the browser for the night and come back next morning to find them all expired.

I also know I can find the exact file by searching for its full filename in the search engine, which I find to be a great and efficient way to find the specific files (and I will continue to find them this way), but I often pass out links to specific files to someone unfamiliar with Flightsim.com. It's just convenience and easy to be able to link to specific files.

Here's a great example where a direct link would have been useful (see my comments at the bottom of it):

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fname=fsx_b738-eastern.zip

A suggestion from me.

In each file page, it currently looked like this, right? I am using 'ukmilc17.zip' for this example.

[center]FSX - FSX Modern Military
FSX Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
[ Download | View ] [/center]

What if we add in a new 'Link' link to the end of the third line? Like so:

[center]FSX - FSX Modern Military
[ Download | View | Link ] [/center]

And this new 'Link' link will point to this url:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fname=ukmilc17.zip

This way, I can simply right-click on it and copy its url to grab the link (instead of putting the URLs together like I did throughout this thread). In the search results, I would be able to middle-click this link to a new tab and download it later (there's always that new airplane that catches my eyes that I just have to fly it). And including this new 'Link' link to each file page will not mess up the current page layout and its appearance is still preserved.

Hopefully, adding this requested feature is do-able and will not be too much trouble.

many questions at once.

Your new way of linking. Don't know. In the post it's not a link. So I can't test it for you by clicking on it. (EDIT-I see the link below it now. That works fine.)

Second Q:

the way you said is a temporary link.

It's worse then that. That link works for you temporarily.

But for anyone else it doesn't work at all. Only for the person that made it.

The question "how to link?" has been extensively answered in one of the "Sticky posts" in the FSX forum.

This thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?267283-Posting-Links-to-downloads-in-the-library

Lastly: "How best to link"

My personal preference is:

1-Just give the filename.zip

2-Inform that it is in the Flightsim.com File Library.

3-If needed, explain where the user can find the Flightsim.com File Library.

4-Explain they need to be logged in to download.

(Or if it is on an outside website, tell them that. Also say if registration is required for that site.)

That way you teach people how to find it themselves next time. Comes in handy if they ever come across a filename in a Thread and want to download it.

---------------

Links don't stand the test of time. They change.

Filenames do stand the test of time. They were uploaded by their Developer with that Filename. And to make sure everyone know's wha's what, the names are never changed.

--------------

That also sort of answers one of the questions below that download. You asked "Can anyone update this"

The developer could create an update.

He or she may be able to withdraw the old file if he or she sees fit.

He could also just leave it up. Because to you this file may seem "wrong", but to someone else it may be "Just what they were looking for all these years".

If the description changes, people looking for the file they used to have can't find it. A pity, as the file is actually still there under a different description.

No one but the Developer can decide on this.

(Only other reason to withdraw a file I can think of is if the Flightsim.com Library virus scanner decides it's a virus. (after new virus definitions or something.))

Don't take it the wrong way. I liked the comments you wrote. About it being a real texture now. Nice info for those downloading it.

Happy flights,

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!:):D

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

many questions at once.

Your new way of linking. Don't know. In the post it's not a link. So I can't test it for you by clicking on it. (EDIT-I see the link below it now. That works fine.)

Second Q:

the way you said is a temporary link.

It's worse then that. That link works for you temporarily.

But for anyone else it doesn't work at all. Only for the person that made it.

Ugh, I didn't know the temporary links doesn't work for other people.

The question "how to link?" has been extensively answered in one of the "Sticky posts" in the FSX forum.

This thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?267283-Posting-Links-to-downloads-in-the-library

I can't believed I missed a sticky post on this topic. Oops! I did looked through the forum before posting this, to see if it was a common issue or not. That sticky post was helpful. I didn't know about 'copy/paste straight off the description page' trick.

Lastly: "How best to link"

My personal preference is:

1-Just give the filename.zip

2-Inform that it is in the Flightsim.com File Library.

3-If needed, explain where the user can find the Flightsim.com File Library.

4-Explain they need to be logged in to download.

(Or if it is on an outside website, tell them that. Also say if registration is required for that site.)

That way you teach people how to find it themselves next time. Comes in handy if they ever come across a filename in a Thread and want to download it.

I agreed with this completely.

Links don't stand the test of time. They change.

Filenames do stand the test of time. They were uploaded by their Developer with that Filename. And to make sure everyone know's wha's what, the names are never changed.

True.

That also sort of answers one of the questions below that download. You asked "Can anyone update this"

The developer could create an update.

He or she may be able to withdraw the old file if he or she sees fit.

He could also just leave it up. Because to you this file may seem "wrong", but to someone else it may be "Just what they were looking for all these years".

If the description changes, people looking for the file they used to have can't find it. A pity, as the file is actually still there under a different description.

No one but the Developer can decide on this.

(Only other reason to withdraw a file I can think of is if the Flightsim.com Library virus scanner decides it's a virus. (after new virus definitions or something.))

In this case, they could go to the last version and update it to show the link to the newer version. Like it always have been. Those famous "(See also filename.zip, filename.zip)" links at the end of the description. Those links are using the current linking method:

'https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=search&fsec=0&fname='

What I am suggesting will make it easier to grab the URL and posting it. Unless it's already set up to make this easier in the upload page (I've never upload to flightsim.com so I wouldn't know).

Don't take it the wrong way. I liked the comments you wrote. About it being a real texture now. Nice info for those downloading it.

Yeah, I've seen the real world version in the air a couple times (I do a little plane-spotting). The first time I saw it about a year ago, it was a real "What the ...." moment to see the Eastern Airlines color flying again, lol. I figured those whoever download that texture would want to know about the real world version, too.

Happy flights,

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!!:):D

il

Thanks for your welcome! I appreciated hearing that. :-)

Let me see if I can figure out the advanced features of this forum's editor and show you a working example of what I had in mind.

[table=width: 650]

[tr]

[td]_________________________________________________________________[/td][td]______________________[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

FSX - FSX Modern Military

[ Download | View | Link ]

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

Name: ukmilc17.zip

Size: 22,551,304 Date: 10-22-2009 Downloads: 31,096

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]fbq1.giffcq1.gif FSX Boeing C-17 Globemaster III. Welcome to the UKMIL C17 package for FSX. This is a Gmax creation, with full VC. The UKMIL C17 now has wingflex installed; the wings will flex a small amount depending on the lift created at the time. (See also UKC17P11.ZIP)[/td]

[td]ukmilc17.gif[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]_________________________________________________________________[/td][td]______________________[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

All of the links here are functional. See the 'Link' in there? Try it.

Here's another suggestion from me.

Head up; it's a completely different idea from my previous posts in this thread.

Someone else replied to this thread but has deleted it. I saw the post before its deletion and it was a suggestion to use the 'Download' link which will take me to the 'Copyright Download' page. Before I found out I could use the expiring 'Comments' link instead, this was my method of getting those links.

At the risk of getting scorns from those who maintain FlightSim.com's File Library servers, I would often have 10 to 20 and maybe even 30 tabs opened in my browser, each one with FSX files waiting for their turn to be download. The problem with this method, they all looked the same and it make for a very confusing time.

The only way I know what I am downloading is to hover over the 'I accept -Start Download' button and look at the bottom left of my browser (Firefox) to see its url. Then I would see the filename in it.

I realized that if the 'Copyright Download this' webpage had a filename title and its picture included, I wouldn't be making this post. My suggestion to add 'Link' will not be needed.

See the image below for an example of what I had in mind.

download page example 3.png

... I would often have 10 to 20 and maybe even 30 tabs opened in my browser, each one with FSX files waiting for their turn to be download. The problem with this method, they all looked the same and it make for a very confusing time. ...

Use a utility such as DTA (DownloadThemAll), you can queue up downloads and it will get them one at a time with no further action from you; you can leave the site and do other things and it will continue downloading as long as the browser is running. You can pause, resume, or cancel any download, and it maintains a log of all downloaded files so you can easily download again if necessary without having to track down the file (a quick check of mine shows 1970 files dating back about seven years).

When using DTA with flightsim, in its options limit it to two concurrent downloads since that is all flightsim allows. Other than that you can queue up hours of downloads, pause DTA if you want to shut down the browser or computer, and resume later.

Use a utility such as DTA (DownloadThemAll), you can queue up downloads and it will get them one at a time with no further action from you; you can leave the site and do other things and it will continue downloading as long as the browser is running. You can pause, resume, or cancel any download, and it maintains a log of all downloaded files so you can easily download again if necessary without having to track down the file (a quick check of mine shows 1970 files dating back about seven years).

When using DTA with flightsim, in its options limit it to two concurrent downloads since that is all flightsim allows. Other than that you can queue up hours of downloads, pause DTA if you want to shut down the browser or computer, and resume later.

That's a great tip! I will look into this.

• 5 months later...

But, please remember, there are unlimited speeds and

threads available with a First Class Membership for $30

a year. The price has been the same for 20 years! And

there are discounts!

Your Support is appreciated!

Rick

But, please remember, there are unlimited speeds and

threads available with a First Class Membership for $30

a year. The price has been the same for 20 years! And

there are discounts!

Your Support is appreciated!