New Laptop for FSX / P3D

Hi Everyone,

I am about to purchase a new 17'' laptop for use mainly for FSX and P3D. I am currently comparing these two models:

1) MSI GT72VR-6RE16H21 Dominator Pro Gaming Notebook 17,3" FHD, Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB + 256GB

Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ 4x 2.60 GHz (3.50 GHz) / 16 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD(M2), 1TB HDD / Blu-ray Disc Burner / GeForce® GTX 1070 8192 MB GDDR5 (VR ready)/ 43,9 cm (17,3) 1920 x 1080 Pixel IPS Display

2) MSI GT72S-6QEG16SR421BW Dominator Gaming Notebook 17,3", i7-6820HK Skylake, 16 GB, RAID 4 256GB Geforce® GTX 980M 8192 MB, 16gb Ram, 2x256 NVMe SSD under RAID 0, 1TB data HDD, Blu Ray Disc Burner, Thunderbolt connector on USB 3.1 C 2nd gen, 17.3'' 1920 x 1080 wideview display

I will definitely need an optical drive. I was looking in to laptops with Desktop processors, but none available here in Europe with built in optical drive. Processor-wise: Is it more important to get the overclockable 6820HK or is the 6700HQ enough to play with reasonable fps. I am really excited about the gtx 10 series for future compatibility and usage for VR. I am not too crazy about highest image detail or too much traffic. Thank you very much for any help and thoughts.

kind regards.

Fsx, especially with high detail payware addons, needs a high cpu speed.

I don't know enough about laptops to judge, but the second option seems better. I read reviews about a possible overclock to 4.0ghz.

Be aware overclock can destroy a cpu. It also reduces lifespan.

If you really can overclock this one also depends on the mainboard and bios options inside. So read reviews related to overclocking about this specific model!!

Be aware that external dvd burners, cd drives, and even blue says exist.

Not expensive, and simple to use. Simply plug into a Usb port. (some models also have their own little power supply. Like a little phone charger.).

So a internal dvd drive is maybe not essential.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been running my 3.2Ghz i7-3930K overclocked to 4.2Ghz for over 4 years and it is fine. It never runs over 50c. Processor is good to 74c before damage will occur. Over clocking is fine as long as you do not go nuts with it and use a liquid cooled CPU cooler.

Talk to someone about overclocking either of those CPU's. Just google it and I would bet you find all kids of people who have and you can learn to do it safely. :)

Good Luck with your purchase! Us Flight Simmers are always screaming for "MORE POWER!!" :)

Archived