Recovering lost data

jandjfrench

Hi,

In a recent thread there was a mention of lost data on a failed hard drive. Apparently this is no longer a problem but I mentioned that "Giveaway of the Day" frequently offers free programs that help with recovering the data. Today's program helps with this. There are only a few hours left but this may help someone.

Jim F

Interesting site. Thanks for the tip.....Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Jim,

Thanks to you I found 'Kroll Ontrack' (dot com) and am waiting for reply as to cost. The software you recommended is no longer free, but even if it was, it is (aparently) for iO systems (ie: iphone, ipad, etc) and not for PC Hard Drives. The site freebies seem to be bait and switch due to requirement to register and then agree to accept spam offers. (There is no free lunch...). Recuva is one program, which might help recover deleted files but isn't able to access hard drives with corrupted file structure index table. Thanks anyway.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi Chuck,

I searched for the post in which you mentioned that you had files on a failed hard drive but I couldn't find it. I somehow got distracted and it wasn't until much later that I remembered and just made a general post. I do recall you said it wasn't a big deal as you had come up with something better than what was lost.

Regarding your concern that Giveaway of the Day wasn't entirely reputable, I haven't found that to be the case. I've downloaded quite a few files from them and never had any problems. I downloaded the program I posted about and recovered data from a 8GB thumb drive and a 1TB USB 3.0 external drive. I think I recall that you wanted to repair the MBR and it does not do that. It simply makes the files available to recover to another location.

I made the same mistake again thinking that Syncios was for recovering data from a failed drive. It's for recovering data from a failed phone (I think).

I don't think there's any registration required by Giveaway. When you install a free program in order to activate it you have to go to a website and submit your email address and you receive an emai with a code to register it. I, too, was concerned about spam but I have a little used GMX.com address that I've used and have never received any email spam except from GMX itself.

Jim

Archived