Zorder Info Please

familton

Determines the order of appearance of the panels on the screen. Takes values from 0 (bottom) to 100 (top).

For what it's worth, here's a quote from THIS SITE. Tons of info on panel files.

Hope it helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi. Thanks. I have that file. It does not go into any detail about zorder as to when it is needed. Some panel.cfg's have none and others do. The same for draw gauges order. When is it needed? Any info is sadly lacking as far as I can find. I was hoping some panel guru could explain them in detail. Bob.

Zorder instructs the sim to draw panel Windows in a specific order.

Normally they are drawn in the order they appear in the [Window Titles] section.

Window04 would be drawn before Window05 and would appear under Window05. If you wanted Window04 drawn over Window05 you could force this with zorder.

Draw_order does the same thing on the gauge level and is useful when you have gauges that overlap real estate in the same Window.

As for when are they needed? When there is no other way to accomplish what the panel developer wants, or at least no way that they can come up with.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

To expand on the above, look at the FSX C172 panel.cfg.

The radio stack is zorder=3 and the GPS is zorder=4, meaning the radio stack gets drawn before the GPS.

This means the GPS will always be drawn over the radio stack.

If you switch them the radio stack will always be drawn over the GPS.

If you comment out the zorder lines the GPS will initially be drawn over the radio stack because the radio stack comes first in the panel.cfg.

However, with both the GPS and radio stack Windows open, if you click on the radio stack it will pop over the GPS. The zorder lines prevent this from happening and the GPS will stay on top of the radio stack.

Let's look at one place where draw_order might help.

All gauges are rectangular, even if they look round in the sim.

Here we have a red rectangular gauge and a blue round gauge. The dark blue part is what we see in the sim, the light blue part is transparent.

Capture.JPG

The blue gauge looks round and does not appear in the sim to touch the red gauge. However we can see that the blue gauge does in fact cover part of the red gauge. This might cause display issues in the sim which we can help prevent by telling the sim to draw the blue gauge before the red gauge.

Hope this helps.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived