Download speeds

martinstebbing

I know this has been mentioned a number of times before ('Similar Threads' linked below this box go back to 2002!), but I am still not sure why in 2016 download speeds from the Flightsim library are at least ten times slower than other FS sites from which I download scenery, aircraft etc. I am currently downloading a 60MB file - the speed is less than 50kb/sec, so it's going to take about 20 minutes. The same file from A****M takes literally seconds.

It's been like this for as long as I can remember and I never get higher download speeds than this. I guess that Flightsim must be limiting the bandwidth for some reason? That's a pity as it makes this site (much as I love it in all other respects!) my last port of call for downloads. I can't see that the 'fault' is at my end - as I say, most other downloads from other sites are very fast.

Thanks! :)

I get all of my downloads from the File Library at the speed of light. 60MB file...maybe about 20 seconds. Oh, the advantages of being a First Class Member and helping to support this site!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• Founder

Hi Martin...

We do give free First Class Memberships to people who are actively contributing to the community. By "active" that would mean for example having uploaded files to the library during the past year. I see you have uploaded files here but the most recent one was over 7 years ago. If you are still actively creating things, please do upload them here and then I can offer you a free membership.

Just FYI what we do is hardly unprecedented. Simvation for one has virtually the exact same membership plan that we do.

Archived