Any last minute MUST KNOW tips for FNG as I load P3D on new PC

lacloudchaser

Folks,

I realize there will be a great deal to learn, settings, etc. But if any vets out there have any of the big "first step" tips to downloading P3d (no reason to acquire FSX as well?) and placing a clean install on a new PC...trying to get up to speed quick as heading to Airbus school with my airline and decided to use P3d to mess around with systems knowledge, look at ECAM non-normal procedures, etc. Also If there are any guides folks have created, etc.

So picking up my new WIN 10 PC today to begin the loading process for P3D with goal to operate the Aerosol A320 flight sim with Oculus Rift.

Dual 250g SSD. One holds the WIN 10 op sys.

MSI Z 170A M9 ACK Board

Core i7 6700K 4.2ghz overclocked

8Gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 overclocked

16Gb DDR4 2666mhz

T1600 stick, Saitek pro throttle quadrant (will be using a maxflightstick set up, but this will get us going)

Just any major loading and set up "don't do this..." or "make sure this is..." (from virus software, firewall issues, to...)

Thanks, I realize its a hugely generalized post, all the settings tweaks I will learn via research Im sure...

Best tip ever: DONT mess with what you don't understand.

Those skills are exactly like flying skills - they need classroom, knowledge and practise. Years of practise.

What will likely happen is you will read all sorts of posts about `affinity mask`, `Fiber frame time Factor`, `SGSSAA` and all other sorts of mnemonic drivel. Ignore them. Run a standard Prepar3D .cfg with the fewest modifications and you get the best performance.

Only if you don't should you come back here and ask. Don't go off on your own. Case in point: Oculus Rift will be a huge disappointment.

Resist the urge to tweak - P3D needs very little, if any tweaking. Do not install it into the default C:\ProgramFiles...... folder - Create a separate folder for P3D, on the C drive or on it's own and install there.

Fly it for a while without any add ons, especially scenery and see how it goes. If you have problems, post a question.

I prefer ESET anti virus as it has the smallest footprint of the various AV programs - two I would avoid like the plague are McAfee and Norton(Symantec) - too much interference with the system IMHO.

That's about it for starters.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Thanks Vic et. all, as per recommendations;

- I will be doing no tweaking, zero.

- Will load software in its own directory on the C drive of the SSD

- No software add ons, visuals, etc.

- Non invasive anti-virus ESET recommended

- Will be using a conventional game monitor for Aerosoft A320 inspection/use**

- Will consult the forum first before moving forward with any additions, scenery, etc.

**Truth be told, the Oculus is more intended for the game side of ACM simulation, DCS, War Thunder, etc. Hopeful. Sold my Nanchang CJ-6 in 2011 and have some 12 year olds wanting to know what it was like...

Thanks again!

D

• 4 weeks later...
What will likely happen is you will read all sorts of posts about `affinity mask`, `Fiber frame time Factor`, `SGSSAA` and all other sorts of mnemonic drivel. Ignore them. Run a standard Prepar3D .cfg with the fewest modifications and you get the best performance.

Best advice ever. Well done.

Remember to put a copy of UIAutomationcore.dll in your root P3D folder. :)

DO NOT DO THIS!

1) it is not needed in P3d

2) If you load the wrong version you could corrupt your install

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived