aircraft turning radius on ground

Roger Wensley

//0 Class

//1 Longitudinal Position (feet)

//2 Lateral Position (feet)

//3 Vertical Position (feet)

//4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)

//5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)

//6 Wheel Radius (feet)

//7 Steer Angle (degrees)

//8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)

//9 Max/Static Compression Ratio

//10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)

//11 Extension Time (seconds)

//12 Retraction Time (seconds)

//13 Sound Type

//14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)

//15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

[contact_points]

point.0=1, 40.85, 0.00, -10.20, 1600, 0, 1.442, 55.92, 0.6, 2.5, 0.9, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 220.0, 250.0

The RED number is the steering angle. Adjust it higher for more angle but keep it well under 90.00.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr Wensley,

(I been following all your scenery (but have not downloaded and installed them) for years). So now you are getting into flying I guess. Good on ya. What is needed is not an increase in steering in cnt pts section. What is needed is DIFFERENTIAL BRAKING. Check in aircraft cfg (braking) section for the line. If it is not there, add it (''differential_braking_scale= 1.000'' (without the quotes)). Now go read up on 'Using Differential Braking' : (Google or YouTube). Then go enjoy flying in the sim.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

//0 Class

[snipped]

//7 Steer Angle (degrees)

[contact_points]

point.0=1, 40.85, 0.00, -10.20, 1600, 0, 1.442, 55.92, 0.6, 2.5, 0.9, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 220.0, 250.0

The RED number is the steering angle. Adjust it higher for more angle but keep it well under 90.00.

I don't think that will have an effect on the radius achievable. If I remember rightly, that setting is for the "caster angle" and the only effect it has is on the ability to self-centre after turning. For more info see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

I don't know the true answer to the OP's question but if he is referring to a specific aircraft it is possible that the actual location of the wheels in the Contact Points section do not match the model.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I was asking the question for an AI plane that was having difficulties; so that answers one question, yes it works for AI. I am also a pilot, and originally only started to make scenery when I was learning to fly and noticed some grass fields that were not in FS9. So I am not starting to fly now, I have been doing both since 2004. Big jets are not in my log book, 3,000+ hours but all on single engine prop. And thanks to Senor Zippy for posting that again.

Archived