Do I really need a joystick ?

jaffacake2000

Hi,

i've been playing fsx with my keyboard and on a commercial airliner which i mostly fly to worldwide destinations, once i'm at cruising altitude i put the plane on autopilot as its done in the real world. So, basically manual controls are only for taxing, take off, climbing to cruising altitude and landing. So, since i wont be using the joystick for much of the time, do i really need a joystick ?

You don't HAVE to have a joystick, since obviously the keyboard is more or less working for you, but with proper aircraft-style controls (stick or yoke) you'll have better controllability, and with practice you'll do much better at landings (takeoffs, too), perhaps some day learning to fly smaller aircraft, even without autopilot.

But it's certainly your choice whether you wish to restrict yourself that much.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

..once i'm at cruising altitude i put the plane on autopilot...So, since i wont be using the joystick for much of the time, do i really need a joystick ?

I fly FSX lightplanes, throwing them around the sky like Manfred Richthofen so a joystick is an absolute must..:)

But as you prefer flying big tin airliners on autopilot, a joystick is not strictly necessary so you might as well spend your cash on a boxed set of Elvis CD's instead, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"

I, too, use autopilot with my 747, as they would in the real world, so I probably use the joystick for only 1% of the flight.

However, it's vital for that 1%!

Doing without it, is like saying you use 4th gear in a car for 99% of the time, so why bother with the other three!

that means its slow ? - 4th gear.

so, your 1% includes = taxing, climbing to cruising altitude and landing ?

i guess it would give me better control when taxing and taking off on the runway. At the moment i dont feel theres much control during take-off as the planes wobble around, yeah and also during taxing and i feel that is due to the limitations of the keyboard as it wasnt designed to be used as stick or yoke

Maybe i could have more control on landings as well and also do manual landing from maybe 30 miles out to use the joystick more.

I fly FSX lightplanes, throwing them around the sky like Manfred Richthofen so a joystick is an absolute must..:)

But as you prefer flying big tin airliners on autopilot, a joystick is not strictly necessary so you might as well spend your cash on a boxed set of Elvis CD's instead, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"

nah, im not a elvis fan, but im more interested in buying a new smartphone every year specially now as android nougat has come out.

that means its slow ? - 4th gear.

so, your 1% includes = taxing, climbing to cruising altitude and landing ?

No, 4th gear is what you use most of the time after accelerating up to normal driving speed.

However, you can't start off in 4th, so the first 3 gears are vital.

(Sorry, I assumed you could drive when I used that analogy.)

As for flying, I use the joystick for the taxi to/from the runway and for the take off run.

As others have said, a joystick is not essential, but a real plane has one, so why do without?

nah, im not a elvis fan, but im more interested in buying a new smartphone every year specially now as android nougat has come out.

Smart phone=hundreds of quid.( I believe there that sort of price , not being or intending to be an owner)

A good useable joystick (Thrustmaster hotas X . My choice) £40 quid.

Try it ,or something like it.

You won't want to leave home without it in future.

But!!! Of course each to his own.

Anyways thoughts

Cheers

Me.

Archived