Can you fly across airways?

No_Inflight_Meal

I'm flying in my A2A 172 from VOR to VOR. Suppose I ran the flight plan through the default flight planner :eek:. I know, I know, but could you plan a flight like this one:

28961500585_81f0be77b9_b.jpg

I've thrown together a route to illustrate how a route can cross both Victor airways and jetways. If you look at the image I've posted, that's what those thinner lines are running all over the place.

The thicker black line is the route that put together at the last minute. But in my opinion it does share similarities with those created with the default flight planner.

Notice, by and large, this is a VOR to VOR flight plan, with the exception being, the MSB waypoint for the ADF.

The first two segments (ODG - SWO - BVO) share a couple things in common; that being - if you look at the space between the VOR's you'll notice that a) it crosses an airway, and b) there is no airway to fly on from the departure airport to the first VOR: (SWO) and those same condition holds true for (SWO - BVO)

Having pointed out those irregularities, is that something you can do (either at 5K or 25K ft.) I'm thinking of the airplanes that rely on navaids for navigation. i.e. VOR to VOR; or the ADF; like HJG's 707's and DC-9's. Unfortunately, in these airplanes there is no FMC or default GPS, or autopilot, or any of the luxuries that can be found on today's modern jets. These jet's reflect the technology of the age in which they were built. (at HJG, anyway.)

Thanks in advance,

No_Inflight_Meal?

Certainly you can. Since the jet routes are at and above 18,000 feet (in the U.S.) you need a positive clearance from ATC when at those altitudes, but "direct to..." clearances will often cross those routes. At these altitudes the Victor airways don't exist. If you're below 18K then it doesn't matter, since those jet routes don't exist for you.

At lower altitudes (Victor airways), when VFR you can go anywhere anytime (barring certain restricted or heavily controlled airspace), and IFR you can do the same as at jet altitudes, that is, you must follow a clearance, but often ATC grants "direct to..." clearances. The primary reason that airways exist is that it's much simpler for ATC to grant (and a pilot to file) a route of DEN - V130 - V210 - ATL than it is to start giving clearances as VOR radials, compass headings, or whatever. They're not otherwise restricted under VFRules.

That's all real world. In the sim you may do as you please or, if you're using the sim's rather limited ATC, you may do whatever they will approve.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I asked because a question was asked where the reply that came back was, I'm paraphrasing, before, we'd have to zig-zag, presuming he meant following the airways, from VOR to VOR now, with GPS we can go direct...the post was something like that...

One q: do I have to follow the Victor Airways below 18K, or would I in the real world?

And what about above 18K when I'm flying an old school 707? I like to stay somewhat in the RW, I don't use the default ATC, I basically cobble together a plan and go. I know it sounds worse that it actually is. In the case of the 707, I use vor to vor.

Thx,

No_Inflight_Meal?

I asked because a question was asked where the reply that came back was, I'm paraphrasing, before, we'd have to zig-zag, presuming he meant following the airways, from VOR to VOR now, with GPS we can go direct...the post was something like that...

One q: do I have to follow the Victor Airways below 18K, or would I in the real world?

And what about above 18K when I'm flying an old school 707? I like to stay somewhat in the RW, I don't use the default ATC, I basically cobble together a plan and go. I know it sounds worse that it actually is. In the case of the 707, I use vor to vor.

Thx,

No_Inflight_Meal?

Yes, victor below 18k. Above 18k, you can do both J or V routes. Even though today, GPS is more heavily utilized, Victor routes and Jet routes are used in the system. What's better is with GPS or RNAV you can navigate directly to a fix if you or ATC wants you to cut a corner on your clearance. As for 707, it can navigate via J routes. Just need a chart with frequencies and radials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying direct between NAVAIDS is fine, but you have to make sure the "service volume" of NAVAIDS is adequate for reception. Some VORs are less powerful and how far away you can receive them is less than normal. Also, at lower altitudes reception distance is limited by line of sight.

In summary, you need to read up on maximum distance between NAVAIDS to make sure you will be OK on a VFR leg especially.

When using airways, yes, the Victors are the ones you must use below 18K, as dspaulding said. But, as he indicated, GPS is more common today. If the 707 has RNAV equipment on board, that would be acceptable also.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived