Windows 10 Can This Be True

silverheels2

Today a friend of mine who is a professional IT type told me that Microsoft does not "respect" (his word) power off on desktop PCs running windows 10. So that MS can remotely power up a desktop and do a Windows 10 update. Can that be true? Strikes me as kinda like digital rape. He said laptops they "respect" power off. Geez!!

There just might be some truth there....

When I still had my box type PC, I would be quite surprised some mornings to find the darn thing on, after I had switched it off the night before..

I found the answer..

Wake-on-LAN (WoL) is an Ethernet or Token ring computer networking standard that allows a computer to be turned on or awakened by a network message. A physical Wake-on-LAN connector featured on the IBM PCI Token-Ring Adapter 2 (the large white connector).

Have a look at ..

http://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

& Google "Wake up on LAN".

BUT Microsoft certainly has never done that, nor will they.. Can you imagine the legal problems they would have?

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As indicated by zswobbie1 in post #4 - technically it can be done BUT there are a number of things that must be in place for it to work. Indeed, the use of WoL has been around for many years, across many MS OS versions, and even Linux, and is used by system admins to push updates to PCs during the quite hours.

Generally the targeted PC must be part of a peer to peer/LAN network and connected to that network. It must have a network card that supports the function and the appropriate BIOS/card settings configured. The target PC normally must be in sleep or hibernate mode AND connected to a power source. And, finally and most importantly, the individual IP address of the targeted PC must be known.

A PC not connected to a LAN, as most home computers are not, can be set to accept WoL commands but requires a WoL compliant router OR one that has had a UDP (User Datagram Protocol) port assigned to allow a WoL instruction to access the target PCs IP address (for those unaware what a UDP is, its an alternative communications protocol to Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) which is the standard method of network communications between PCs/Servers/Internet etc). Your firewall will also need to be configured as well.

So, ethical/legal points aside, based on the requirements of what is required for WoL to function, this alone makes it extremely unlikely that MS would be able to do this to home based computers.

Regards

Brian

Just an addition to my above post..

This happened many many years ago, before wifi, when my PC was still connected to my landline.

In those days, we had VERY slow modems, connected to our telephone lines..

So, whenever my phone rang, it woke up my PC (there's the wakeup on LAN in action).

I agree with Brian, the chances of this happening in modern times is so miniscule, it can be rules out.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

What I ended up doing for my laptop with win 10 is to disable the service Windows Update and just turn it back on once a week. Then every time I power off the laptop I turn off Wi Fi and hold down the power button for 4 seconds after the shutdown runs its course. I'm told that Win 10 security updates are processed separately and cannot be stopped. My FlightSim computers run Win 7 Pro and do not have Wi Fi and are only connected to the web by wire for seconds to download weather for ASN.

Mine has been updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 almost a year ago, with the Windows 10 Anniversary update done last week. I'm running 3x versions of Fs2004 & P3D, with never an issue at all. My laptop is connected all day to the 'net. If I remember, Tuesdays is normally when updates are sent out.

So, I have the latst itteration of my operating system with no issues at all.

I'm not sure what the issues are by cancelling updates. I always update my Android phone & media player as well. I'm sure Google knows more about me that Microsoft. :-)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Aren't there some utilities that run at odd hours? Like disk or Virus scans and updates associated with that as well? Some set to like 2 am?

Many apps/utilities, including AV suites, do set a 'default' update and/or run schedule but none are likely to use a WoL type feature. This is for many reasons - see my earlier post (#5). The utility will run if the rig is actually on at the appointed time - they are unlikely to run if the rig is in sleep/hibernate mode - and, if there is an internet connection, it will update. If no connection it will most probably reschedule another attempt IAW whatever policy has been set OR the next time it detects an internet connection. Most, if not all, apps/utilities can be set/adjusted to update/run scans etc automatically at a set time that better suits your needs via their settings pages.

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...

I was reading a thread on another forum where someone was saying Microsoft are thinking of a monthly subscription for Windows 10, this will be for updates and to keep it running.

Now this may be a rumour I don't know but if the individual decides to not use it I doubt MS will be not too worried but think of all the businesses that do use it and need it, the monthly figure mentioned was £7.

I am on Windows 7 and I'm sticking with it for as long as I can.

I just found this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3094785/windows/yes-windows-10-subscriptions-are-coming-at-least-for-enterprise.html

IMO just a rumour - see http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/. MS made it clear in a number of press meetings/interviews/shows etc, that the basic W10 for home use would be 'free for life'. Although, for some, this statement was misleading it has been clarified (see the section Free For “The Supported Lifetime of Your Device” within the document linked above).

'Enterprise' editions, as highlighted in the link you posted, of all of MS OSs are designed for use by businesses and include network solutions.

Regards

Brian

Archived