Can't Switch Aircraft After Win10 Update

ark1320

After updating from Win7 to Win10 I find I get a CTD if I try to switch a/c using the drop down menu in-game. FSX 'flies' fine, it is just switching a/c that is a problem. This happens only with FSX, FSX-SE on the same machine does not have this problem.

The Nvidia graphics driver is up to date, and letting FSX build a new fsx.cfg has not helped.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thx,

Al

Always first, uninstall FSX and reinstall clean. As for Windows 10 there is a way to download the files to a USB stick and then do a full hard drive format and install Windows 10 clean.

There is always something weird going on when you upgrade from one to the next even though they claim 'don't worry, everything will work'. It never does.

Also, create an FSX folder on the C: drive and install directly to there.

After updating from Win7 to Win10 I find I get a CTD if I try to switch a/c using the drop down menu in-game. FSX 'flies' fine, it is just switching a/c that is a problem. This happens only with FSX, FSX-SE on the same machine does not have this problem.

The Nvidia graphics driver is up to date, and letting FSX build a new fsx.cfg has not helped.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thx,

Al

Yes, you need to lear, understand and then apply the various fixes for the lack of permissions and genuine administrator control that Win 10 brings to the party by default.

There are three main things you need to do. They are unrelated to FSX so don't really fall for discussion in this forum, but if you search Win 10, UAC, Permissions and Administration you'll get there.

Contrary to other advice, you do NOT need to delete, reinstall, copy to USB, sacrifice a chicken or ANY of that utter nonsense. Guess what? "It never does"... complete drivel.

For me and the five other sim systems I look after, with cross platform support for X-Plane, FSX, FSX-SE AND 2 different versions of Prepar3D it DID. So that's his opinion dealt with.

You just need to take back control of your Win 10 system from those who would deny you it.

Thanks all for the inputs.

There are three main things you need to do.

mallcott,

Could you please just briefly list the three things I need to do so I will have a better chance of recognizing them when I find them.

Thx,

Al

If it only happens when you use the menu, it could be the "uiautomationcore.dll" problem that FSX boxed somtimes suffers from on Win8 and above. Google it, you basically have to download that DLL and copy it to your main FSX directory. And it has to be the right one, this file exists in many incarnations. Your FSX:SE already has it in the main folder, maybe copying that one to FSX boxed would work too - but I don't really know if this is the right version of it or not.

As pointed out by evm at post #5, if you make a lot use of the menu you will get the problem mentioned. Also, as mentioned by others doing a re-install as suggested at post #2 is an overkill and totally unnecessary.

WRT to uiautomationcore.dll - To clarify what evm states There are two versions of the uiautomationcore file that works with the boxed version of FSX and I would get one of them - links below - the first listed is the version that seems to work for most. Not sure what version is included with FSX-SE, it may even be a totally differnt version that is only Steam compatible.

It should be noted that a copy of the .dll file must be placed in the root directory of FSX and no where else. If you search your rig you will find a number of different versions of the file scattered within the system folders - leave them alone.

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.6001.18000

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mik2mlqdz1w/UIAutomationCore.zip

uiautomationcore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/U/UIAutomationCore.dll/6.0.5840.16386/download.html

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the inputs. I tried both uiautomationcore.dll versions, but FSX still crashes about halfway through loading a different a/c. I've tried different a/c combinations and locations, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

As I've mentioned, the Steam version (FSX-SE) on the same computer repeatedly switches a/c without any problems. So if I could figure out what files are involved in the a/c switch process, maybe I could find a corrupt FSX file and replace it with a file from FSX-SE.

Al

Thanks for the inputs. I tried both uiautomationcore.dll versions, but FSX still crashes about halfway through loading a different a/c. I've tried different a/c combinations and locations, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

As I've mentioned, the Steam version (FSX-SE) on the same computer repeatedly switches a/c without any problems. So if I could figure out what files are involved in the a/c switch process, maybe I could find a corrupt FSX file and replace it with a file from FSX-SE.

Al

If you suspect a corrupt file in your boxed version, I would think that a Repair using the discs would fix that problem. I gotta ask a stupid question.....what's with all of the aircraft switching? Are you starting a flight between A and B and switching aircraft at the halfway point? Seems odd!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

If you suspect a corrupt file in your boxed version, I would think that a Repair using the discs would fix that problem. I gotta ask a stupid question.....what's with all of the aircraft switching? Are you starting a flight between A and B and switching aircraft at the halfway point? Seems odd!

No, I only switch a/c occasionally. For example, if I load my default flight and then want to change a/c.

Al

No, I only switch a/c occasionally. For example, if I load my default flight and then want to change a/c.

Al

OK, ever given any thought to creating a new "Default flight" Using your choice of aircraft (assuming for a cold and dark startup) then selecting a departure airport that you don't use and creating the flight to land at that same airport?

That way you can set up any new flight and not have to worry about switching aircraft.

I consider my "default Flight" hands off and it's only purpose was the cold and dark aircraft condition.

UPDATE: Please excuse braindeadness.....an even simpler solution! Keep you "Default Flight" as is and simply, from your Free Flight screen, choose desired aircraft first then hit fly now. You will be flying your default flight in your new aircraft! DUH! that works!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

UPDATE: Please excuse braindeadness.....an even simpler solution! Keep you "Default Flight" as is and simply, from your Free Flight screen, choose desired aircraft first then hit fly now. You will be flying your default flight in your new aircraft! DUH! that works!;)

So Far, despite a small niggle from to time, yes it almost always does.;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yep, that's what I usually do, but sometimes it is convenient to be able to make a change in-game.

Thx,

Al

To update things a bit, through process of elimination over the past two weeks the problem seems to be related to FSUIPC 4.955C, or FSUIPC's interaction with FSX under Win10. If I disable FSUIPC in the FSX dll.xml file, the problem goes away; if I re-enable FSUIPC, the CTDs return. This happens even with every other dll.xml program entry disabled except dll.xml itself. I have tried reinstalling FSUIPC4 but that didn't help. Whether there is a FSUIPC bug, a WIN10 bug, or some other reason for what is happening, I don't know at this point. I've posted on the FSUIPC forum to see if Pete Dowson might have an idea on this.

FSX is installed at C:\FSX. When I look under Administrative Events after a CTD I see the Faulting Module is one of the following (at different times):

KERNALBASE.dll, path C:\WINDOWS\System32\

or

API.dll, path C:\FSX\

As I've mentioned, I have FSX-SE on the same machine and it does not exhibit this CTD problem -- very strange.

Al

Much to my surprise, it turns out that when I went to collect more log data I found the CTD problem had gone away, at least for now! I can't explain it -- maybe there was some kind of Win10 update behind the scenes. Hopefully the problem won't come back, but this kind of magical fix leaves me a bit nervous.

A

In case it helps someone, it now seems the source of the CTDs was actually an out of date ASUS utility program AI Suite II that needed to be updated for Win10. AI Suite II runs at startup and provides access to the Bios and motherboard settings.

Al

Archived