update problems

RickG

hi. It's a long story but I had to reinstall my Windows7. Now, when I go to Windows Update, it says "checking for updates", and that's it. It continues searching, and nothing else. Been running for about 20 minutes now. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks. Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

I have just replaced a HDD on one of my pc's & after installing Win7 I experienced problems with Windows update, checking for updates forever!! I managed to find a fix, the problem lies in the Windows update client, as the one that is installed with the OS reinstall will be quite old & will not work properly when connected to the Microsoft server.

Here's the fix: Download & install KB3020369 & KB3161608 (which will install a new windows update client) after installing you need to select "Never Check For Updates" for your windows updates, restart pc & then go into your windows update & select the prefered option for how you want to recieve updates, select check for updates & it should soon display the latest updates if you have selected "seach for updates but let me choose which ones to install" option which I use, if not it should start downloading & installing the latest updates.

I hope this helps.

PS: This is for Wimdows 7 SP1

Hi, and thanks for your attention. DL'd and am running the 0369 one right now, but 10 minutes later, it's still saying 'searching for updates' . Will give it some time tho, and see. Thanks Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

Hi again. Well something sure is wacky. Started off with the 0369 one, and it just kept searching, with no downloading. Ran it two times, around an hour each time. This sure sucks! Rick

I have had win7 installed for a few years and it's updated.

I tested for you and tried downloading these directly. From the win site by looking up the numbers in google.

For the first one the page opened, and downloading was fine.

The second one the page stayed blank. No 'not available' message or 'error 502 refresh or try later' , just blank page.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I can download and run that 0369 one, but after 4 tries, it still will not do anything. It continually says 'searching for updates on this computer' even after near an hour of running. Also noticed that I can't cancel it. The only way seems to be through Task Manager. Starting to think maybe there is something else kinda screwed up. I think I may have to sit back re-think this issue for a while. Thanks very much for your time guys. Now on to plan B--if I had one lol. Rick

I still think that it is something to do with your windows update client, did you download & install KB3161608? check what version of the windows update client you currently have installed, you can do this by right clicking on windows update process & checking the properties or by locating the wuauclt application in the system32 folder & checking the properties, the windows update client version I am currently running is 7.6.7601.23453 also as far as I know the windows update client only ever gets updated when automatic updates is selected.

When I go to dl the 1608, this is what I get from the M'Soft site--

The July 2016 update rollup includes some new improvements and fixes including the improvements from June 2016 update roll up KB3161608 for the Windows 7 SP1 and 2008 R2 SP1 platform. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.

I dl'd this, but it still does nothing but search. My windows update client seems to be-- 7.6.7600.320. Do you think it might be easier just to start this all back from square one--re-installing Win7 completely? Thanks again. Rick

No, do not reinstall as you will be back to where you are now!!. 7.6.7600.320 was the exact version I had when I did my reinstall & had update problems. When you installed KB3161608 did you follow the instructions layed out in my 1st post?

"after installing you need to select "Never Check For Updates" for your windows updates, restart pc & then go into your windows update & select the prefered option for how you want to recieve updates, select check for updates & it should soon display the latest updates if you have selected "seach for updates but let me choose which ones to install" option which I use, if not it should start downloading & installing the latest updates."

It's important to follow the above instructions, you could try setting windows update to never check for updates & reboot & then check for updates or you may have to do a system restore to before you installed KB3161608 & reinstall again & follow the instructions I previously gave.

Thanks Paul,

KB3172605 (July rollup)

I've got it downloaded now. Took some effort though.:):)

That one the page opened fine, with download button, but, after I clicked 'Download' it just said: Thank You For Downloading.

But no download came....

Got it fixed though. Was using Firefox, Tried IE, no go.

Tried switching off Addblock plus in FF, no,

Turned out I had to switch off Protected Mode in IE. (And after restarting Firefox I can now download it from there also)

I saw I already had it in my winupdate history as well. It was already installed. But having this one on disk seemed sensible, could prove usefull if reinstaling Windows.

Also good to know now these updates can cause an issue with Bluetooth*.

Happy flights,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Paul-- I cannot get ANY of these KB things to install. I download them, and run them, but they continually go on saying "searching--" This went on for an hour with that 1608 one, the same as any of them.

Thats strange, I am using Firefox v47.0.1.6018 with addblocker plus & I went straight to the download page & clicked "download" & immediately got the popup for run or save file.

Yes it's worth keeping in case the gremlins take over your pc!!

The issue is not ABP, with ABP on downloading works too.

It's 'protected mode' in IE11

(IE affects FireFox)

I had noticed issues before with Downloading from Microsoft with IE Protected Mode on. Other sites are OK.

I hadn't used IE in a while, so it was the last place I looked.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check & see if the new windows update client has installed, have you tried a system restore back to before you first installed KB3172605, if not try system restore & then reinstall KB3172605 & check to see if the new windows update client has been installed, if it has then set windows update to "never check for updates, reboot, set windows update to your prefered setting & see if it starts checking, if not select check for updates manually.

You should also check that windows BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is running by clicking on the services tab in task manager then services bottom right, you should see BITS near the top, make sure this is running, it should be set to start "automatic (Delayed Start)" you can check this in the properties.

I think the first half of your post was directed at RickG??

I have no issue with Windows Update in my Win7 install. Always worked fine, never long waits.

I only had an issue with getting these downloaded from Microsoft.com directly via browsers.

But regarding that. BITS wasn't running. It was set to 'Manual". (I never really know what those services should be set to, and mess with them very little. But I don't remember setting it to manual for any particular reason.)

I set it to 'Automatic - Delayed Startup', and I rebooted the PC.

Now BITS was running.

I enabled Protected Mode in IE, and downloading now works fine in both Firefox and IE11. Thanks!

I have no idea what BITS does exactly. I'll Google it sometime.

Thanks again,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

il88pp, I was directing some posts towards RickG, I should have included a name to whom the post was meant for.

As for BITS I found this "Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) transfers files (downloads or uploads) between a client and server and provides progress information related to the transfers. You can also download files from a peer."

Man, oh man. I looked for that BITS stuff, and in the services (extended and standard) there is no BITS. Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service is the only entry with "bit" in it.

As far as system restore, I only have restore points back to Aug 2, which is where all this happened.

Rick, BITS or Background Intelligent Transfer Service will be the 1st service beginning with "B".

If you have a restore point for 2nd Aug that should be OK, restore back to 2nd Aug & perform the process I have given before, install both KB3020369 & KB3161608, reboot & check that the new windows update client has been installed, set windows update to "Never check for updates" & reboot.

RickG,

I don't follow. Are you saying you downloaded the update KB from Microsoft, and that you installed the update just fine,

but then The Windows Update menu still hangs?

Or are you saying you downloaded the update, but installing the update KB failed?

Also, in If you look in task manager the Service is called BITS.

If you look up the service (to switch it on) it will be listed (alpabetically) as: "Background Intelligent File Transfer" service.

---------

I never had much issues with the update client, so can't help much here I think. Two things though.

-The first time checking after a Windows install takes incredibly long. As in, start it in the evening and let the pc run overnight. Next morning they are there.

-Maybe (just a guess) you need Win7 SP1?

-------------

(Thanks for the info Paul. To not confuse the thread let's leave it there.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi again. This is what's going on-- I downloaded all these KB things, and no matter which one I run, it simply says 'searching---'. I have tried it many times now, and let it run for over an hour each time, with the same results--it will never get past the searching aspect. One thing, and I don't know if it means anything, but I cannot quit the searching by the cancel button, or by the red x in the upper right corner--always have to go into task manager. As for the BITS-- it simply is not there! Bitlocker is the only entry that starts with BIT. My pc is running W7, SP1. I am thinking there is more to this than just being unable to install Windows updates. Could my reinstall of the OS have not worked properly? I gotta admit, this is driving me nuts.

Hi Rick,

Both KB3020369 & KB3161608 need to be installed together. BITS or Background Intelligent Transfer Service is not listed under BITS its listed as Background Intelligent Transfer Service & all you will see is "Background" in the services list.

You could try downloading & running Windows Update Troubleshooter from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434 run a check on windows update & Background Intelligent Transfer Service, if you click on advanced it will check & fix problems.

Well, for crying out loud-- I do have the BITS lol. I was just looking for the abbreviation--DOH! OK, the troubleshooter found 5 probs, fixed all but one. It says 0x80070003.

Hi Rick,

Did you perform a system restore back to before you tried installing KB3020369 & KB3161608? if not do that & after the restore, run the windows update troubleshooter again & make sure BITS is set to start "Automatic (delayed start).

I have found another windows update client for March 2016 here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51212 you could try downloading & installing this one, its a standalone & not part of a package like the other one, after successfully installing set windows update to never check for updates & reboot then make sure BITS has started & check for updates manually, if successful set windows update to check for updates the way you prefer.

Archived