Where has my ram gone?

wrk218

I have a new home built computer that has 32 GB of Ram installed ,however only 16 Gb are being used.

my specs are as follows,

asus MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 MOBO, W/INTEL CORE I7-4790K DEVILS CANYON QUAD CORE 4.0 GHZ , 4 HARD DRIVES(3 SSDS) 1 wd bLACK 1gb , 32 GB CORSAIR RAM AND ASUS NVIDIA 960 GTX VIDEO CARD.

OTTO

Are they 2 X 16 memory sticks or 4 X 8 sticks?

If 2 X 16 they may need to be installed a certain way on your motherboard. The motherboard manual will tell you.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Are they 2 X 16 memory sticks or 4 X 8 sticks?

If 2 X 16 they may need to be installed a certain way on your motherboard. The motherboard manual will tell you.

they are 4x8 sticks all w/the same series and #.

Yes my os is win 7 home 64 bit howegver, I upgraded to win 10. This lasted until today as some of my other programs would not work in win 10 so I went back to 7. Now all the programs work. The user guide for the mobo states to use a 64bit os for mem. over 4gb, so I don't understand the 16gb max. My computer works fine with 16gb but I may upgrade to used all 32gb of ram. Thanks for the info.

Otto

Yes my os is win 7 home 64 bit howegver, I upgraded to win 10. This lasted until today as some of my other programs would not work in win 10 so I went back to 7. Now all the programs work. The user guide for the mobo states to use a 64bit os for mem. over 4gb, so I don't understand the 16gb max. My computer works fine with 16gb but I may upgrade to used all 32gb of ram. Thanks for the info.

Otto

The 16GB limit is due to Microsoft segmenting the market. If you need access to more RAM, they want you to pony up for the Professional edition.

Archived