Annoying Spinning Prop Disk in Flight School and FSX!

TomG

Hi,

I just watched a video on the Dovetail Flight School as I prepare for the release of the new Flight Sim. I noticed one annoying thing that was present in FSX that I think takes away much realism - the spinning propeller disk illusion from within the cockpit! As the Cub idles before takeoff in Flight School through the takeoff and cruise the disk graphic stays the same as if the propeller hasn't changed its speed at all and it seems to flicker too much.

From what I've seen with real props on real GA planes once an engine is started, the spinning prop is a faint circle arc in appearance almost as if there is just a prop hub present. Once the throttle is advanced to full power and cruise, all one should see is a faint arc indicating a high speed. Once the prop is back at idle speed maybe then you can detect more of a slight "flicker". I always felt Microsoft got this wrong and was even worse in FSX than in FS9. A lot of addons for FSX have unfortunately kept the same unrealistic graphics of a spinning prop. A2A on the other hand, has gotten this right and accurate on their Cessna and Piper planes. The spinning prop illusion graphics look very realistic from the exterior and interior at various speed settings.

Can this be improved on with a third party file for current FSX or in the future version of Dovetail Flight Sim? I think this simple thing goes a long way to giving the illusion of speed changes in the sim. Thanks, Tom

You might want to look through THIS TUTORIAL.

Or for a plane-specific fix, just plug PROP FIX into the library Search page.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The Alpha channel of the prop disk texture controls the transparency of the disk. It is a very simple matter to edit with Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or GIMP.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived