Repaint Problems with BMP!

mossc

See if I can Explain this to ya' so you can understand it.

tho, if your NOT fairly familiar with different types of files and their Alphas then your probably going to end up lost thru this explanation,,,,,,,

For some reason, after you'ce painted that section of the aircraft, when you go to SAVE the file, it is saving it with an Alpha applied, there fore your ending up with that bright shiny mess.

Now, i'll try to explain the procedure I go thru when I repaint Aircraft and a lotta Aircraft "interiors".

1st - Programs I use are :

DXTBMP

Paint Shop Pro # 9

Photoshop Professional

PAINT.NET

and lastly,, I use it just for checking things, but rarely ever paint with the lousy program, is Abacus Aircraft re'painter,,,, to check visuals and only find things on a file that I want painted.

I always , always , OPEN any Aircraft file using that DXTBMP Program, which I have set up to automatically use Paint Shop Pro as the main source for editing & repainting any Aircraft file.

NOW, before I do anything else, I open the file with DXTBMP program,,,, STOP right there - go NO Further !!

I then look at the Very TOP in the header or menu of the Screen to see what FILE FORMAT it is and the size, very important - reason is, you want to "maintain" that exact same file format and size when your are finished painting on the file.

if you don't you usually end up with a mess or a corrupted file that's now all splotchy and worthless a lotta times.

So always remember to 1st NOTE what the file is and the size, write it down on paper if you have to !!!!

Also, another thing I always do is I make at least 5 to 7 copies of the FILE I plan on re'painting ,, so I'll always have the original in case I mucker it up :)

So, now lets OPEN the file you want to paint on, using DXTBMP and hopefully a paint program other than windows or Abacus,,,, your now looking at the aircraft file you want to paint on,,,,

LOOK up at the upper TOP Right Hand corner (if your using paint shop pro ? ), and you'll see a small square or Box,,,, and in it you'll see usually the ALPHA Channel,,,, sometimes its just all white or times it'll be smokey grey with the aircraft textures displayed in it.

make NOTE of how that smaller Box looks before you try your hand at painting,,,,,

because it has to go back exact too or you'll end up with all kinds of whacky texture paint,,

mostly Either really Dull looking paint, no shine or a lotts shiny Chrome , in your case.

OK so back up to the TOP of your DXTBMP menu,,,,

take your Mouse Cursor and see the menu at the TOP, see where it says "APLHA"

Should be the 4th one over from the LEFT ( using DXTBMP Program).

Click on it - STOP - and just READ what all the DROP DOWN menu says - don't do anything, just read, make mental notes study it.

using DXTBMP Program - it should say,,,,,,

Send Alpha to Editor -

Refresh Alpha

Import Alpha

Export Alpha

Create Alpha Channel (Green)

(Black)

Create Alpha from Color

Create Alpha Template

Invert Alpha

Flip Alpha

Mirror Alpha

Apply Alpha to image

that should appear in the ALPHA Drop Down Menu box using DXTBMP Program.

at the very bottom of that drop down menu, you'll see Apply Alpha to Image,,,,,,,

Click on it once,,,,,, and it should change ,,,,,

then up at the TOP again,,,, of the MENU you'll need to click Save .

BUT remember lets CHECK if its SAVED correctly or NOT !!!!

For example "

lets say your file was an BMP 32 BIT 888-8 Format originally before you ever started tinkering with it.....

it needs to go BACK to that FORMAT - After your thru monkeying around with it !!!!!!!

So using the DXTBMP Program, will do just that - OR - any other type file format BMP - DDS

Just wanna make sure now that you choose the Correct File format,,

BMP Files have several different file formats to choose from DXT3 is one - DXT1 with Alpha and with NO Alpha

REMEMBER at the beginning WE Checked 1st to see and made NOTES hopefully, remember that ??????

Once you've established what you need and what the correct FILE TYPE is,,,,, SAVE IT in the Original Format You started out with however you downloaded it.

YOU should SAVE several Copies of the File your working on,,, because you will end up Screwing one up eventually Trust me , so have EXTRA Copies on hand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Play around with how that ALPHA works on files , it does different things to different types of files

For Example, it can make BLACK Areas Transparent for glass Windshields or side windows

It can also make things appear CHROME if a ceratin COLOR is applied 1st to the file, usually BLACK , 0.000 true color

but True Green 0.000 can also be used in some instances

You'll have to experiment on some files YOU DO NOT plan on keeping or using to get the hang of it and understand how it works and what it does to your aircraft parts !

CONFUSING ????

You Betcha it is,,, Lord do I know !!!!

I'm self taught thru experimentation and lots of TRIAL & Error and lots of reading !!!!

Trust me I've Trashed a lotta Aircraft files trying to learn this stuff thru the years, until I finally got good enough that I could paint Aircraft good enough I felt comfortable uploading some of the re'paints to flight sim site, and they usually get a lotta hits, because I'm into details, little details,,,, tho I'm still not perfect they usually turn out ok !!

Practice and patience and don't get Frustrated and pissed at yourself,,,, its just part of what it is.

Yes its confusing and it Sucks I know , trust me !!!!!

Jetranger

Take your time painting and LEARNING all the different ways Brushes can be applied and Effects !!!

I'm mainly into adding Shading in the cockpit areas now, for I grew tired of everything being all 1 color basically, that being grey,,,,,,,,,,,,

Shading, is easy once you learn the different opacity of the brushes and how to use them.

That and I like to add Dirt effects and OIL sloshes and Engine Smoke dust on the engines , especially older Jetliners from the 1960's & 70's era where Exhaust Smoke might of blown a tad bit on the parts

in the cockpit I like to SHADE the door panels down low where the light is darker and add weathering & wear to the seats and sometimes a tear or rip.

Just painting something Red or Blue looks hokey and kinda Fake, it should have some shading or wear effects to the areas of the aircraft to make it appear more realistic and like its been in use.

Spilled fuel on the wings is another area, Jet EXHAUST Smoke around the engines or exhaust pipes , dirt on the wheels, maybe some dirt on the bottom of the aircraft if your a BUSH Flyer or land on a lotta dirt/ gravel strips,,,

Water Rudders should have some Rust or algae on them not much just a hint like its been in the water or lake or river,,,,

All my Float planes have slightly used wore Dirty floats, not all gawdy, just a small hint, od rust , dirt, algae,,, like its been flying for years !!!!

Experiment and Trial & Error and frustration , its all part of it !!!

Enjoy,, now back to my Secret Interior Re'Paint on a well known propliner, I'm trying to get finished with 12 different interior colors for everybody to have !!!

no more boring dull grey all 1 color interiors,,,, its time consuming tho

I might have them done by Thanksgiving hopefully !!

Jetranger

Very good tutorial, but I would like to correct you on the effect the alpha has on a texture, the alpha will only create shiny paint work if when the material parameters were set in the modelling process for the alpha to control shininess otherwise the alpha will control the transparency.

Archived