Best AMD AM3+ processor for FSX?

Hey all!

I know questions like this have been asked several times over, but here it is over again.

My system runs FSX with payware aircraft and scenery MARGINALLY) 10-20 fps) My motherboard supports AM3+ socket, and I was wondering if there are any other am3+ CPUs that would run it better.

CPU: AMD FX 8350, Stock clock

GPU: GTX 750Ti

MOBO: ASR 980DE3/U3S3

FS: FSX:SE

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi coach0512,

FPS in the 20's range is something I would expect with complex addons (aircraft, scenery, etc.). One question would be: How smooth is your performance? Turn off the FPS counter and fly as normal. Does flying feel smooth? Stutters? Lag?

Some people lock FSX framerates to 30 and get very smooth performance.

We may need a bit more info, such as:

Any tweaks and where are your sliders set (fsx.cfg), do you have the framerates locked or set to unlimited, do you have a bunch of background process running while in FSX, etc.

Sometimes, it may boil down to something as simple as a settings issue, not just in FSX, but within the OS environment.

How does/did FSX run before any addons were installed (Vanilla installation)? If FSX don't run right with no addons...

Complex addons will have an effect on performance - some more than others.

In my insignificant opinion, there has to be an understanding of performance expectations with the hardware one is running, and be able to accept making adjustments within FSX (like lowering the sliders to the left) for a bit less eye-candy, and higher performance (FPS). You'll need to decide which matters more.

I'm sure you know that the overall consensus for FSX CPUs is that the higher the clockrate (speed), the (generally) higher the performance. There are also some suggestions out there that intel CPUs are better suited to FSX than AMD CPUs.

Google Nick N's FSX bible - some good advice in there on how to set up a computer to optimize FSX performance.

The current top of the line AM3+ processor, I believe, is the FX 8370, with a 4GHz stock clock, which I believe is the same GHz as yours, so I'm not sure if upgrading will yield a great bit of difference.

With your current motherboard, you MAY want to consider overclocking your CPU if your CPU is "unlocked," as in, the Black Edition. BUT, BEFORE you do that, I strongly suggest you do your due diligence and research overclocking techniques, the pitfalls, the advantages, what cooling methods you may need (and the possible co$t), etc. Overclocking done wrong may cause damage to your computer.

I will suggest that AMD processors are pretty overclocking friendly, and most motherboards have some safeguards built in to HELP prevent frying your CPU and other motherboard components - provided you don't override them.

For what it's worth, I've overclocked every single one of my processors (since the Athlon 64) in order to squeeze every last bit of performance out of them before a required upgrade.

I have not blown up a computer yet (knock on wood)! ;)

Hope this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

(I talk wayyyyy too much!) :p

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the 8350 and it runs FSX fine. I tried overclocking it to 4.5 but the temps were a little too high so I backed it off. And yes, I am on water cooling.

Hm, I can rarely manage above 10 in climb and descent

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Archived