Helvetic Airways flight 7410 - Zurich to Tromso

Super looking shots!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

My wife once asked me what's a good landing, (besides any one that you can walk away from), and I told her. A good landing is like taking a bucket of sand and pouring it across a glass floor, in one sweeping motion, without making a sound.

Nice shot!

Great series or pics! Thanks for a very enjoyable post :)

My wife once asked me what's a good landing...

Depends on who you ask. A "normally" trained airline or GA pilot, the sand thing works.

Ask a Naval Aviator, especially one who is carrier qualed, but pretty much any of them, they will tell you that planting the bird onto the runway firmly is the way. They are trained from Day 1 of the most basic familiarization flight that way. NO FLARE is the Naval mantra.

They must be trained that way, though, to be able to land properly on the carrier. A flare and float variety of landing will miss the wires entirely, resulting in a bolter every time, or an "in-flight engagement", catching a wire while airborne. Very bad for planes and pilots. They fly it down to the deck at 6-700 FPM, and hit (hopefully, anyway) right in front of the three-wire. Even on shore-based landings, it stays the same. Plant it down firmly. Fly it all the way to the runway. Flare and you'll get Court Martialed :D

When I was learning to fly gliders at 14 years old, I developed the habit of floating it down the runway in the ground effect to a very specific point, where I would gently drop it down, and, if I did it right, I could let it roll into it's parking spot without having to get out and push it. I'm a lazy sod. :)

Then I joined the service, and watched the pilots fly. A LOT (I love to watch fighters take off, land, you name it), and asked them about the difference in the way I was trained to the way they did it, and they, at lest a few who would dare talk to an enlisted man, explained it to me.

Here in the sim, I fly mostly fighters, because I enjoy them most. I read, re-read, and re-re-read the NATOPS for them, and try my best to follow checklists and procedures. Now, I plant them down "firmly" too. It works quite well for me, anyway...

Sorry, I ramble.

I still say those are some beautiful aircraft in those pictures :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived