Unable to create file associations with certain programs

b3burner

Hi,

I have a desktop computer. With the following drive configurations:

Primary Internal Hard drive-- C-drive: 500gb

Secondary Internal Hard drive-- E-drive: 250gb

Primary External Hard drive-- H-drive: 500gb

Secondary External Hard drive-- J-drive: 2tb (quickly becoming my primary external hard drive I think)

I recently took many of my flight sim files that I had in storage on my smaller H-drive, and moved them to my larger J-drive. I also cleaned up a few things from my tiny E-drive... (which was once upon a time my old laptop's C-drive)... and moved them to the J-drive too, if they were worth saving.

I don't think I moved anything in or out of my C-drive, but I may have changed a few file names, because I lost a lot of my desktop short cuts and had to redirect the addresses. No big deal there, once I determined the reason for it.

However, my loss of file associations with programs is another more irritating story altogether. Before I moved all these files I had the following [.file = Program.exe] associations:

.air = AirEd.exe

.bmp = DXTbmp.exe

.ad4 = Airport Design Editor.exe

.bgl = Airport Design Editor.exe

Those are the 4 most important ones to me that I'd like to be able to just left-click on the file and have the program automatically open up. However, since the file and folder move-around, the associations have ceased to exist. .air files want to open with Word Pad, .bmp files want to open with Microsoft office picture manager, and .bgl & .ad4 files also want to open with Word Pad.

I have already tried the usual right click on program, "open program with", [+] Other Programs, Browse if it's not in the list, find the file myself and then click "Open". Normally in the past, it would have appeared, but this time for the past two days... no luck.

I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling both AirEd and DXTBmp, but am hesitant to do that with ADE, as I don't wish to lose what I have already configured in that program.

One work around was to open the programs first, and then open the files second from within the programs' pull-down menus, which will work, but it's sort of the longer way of doing it. I then thought if I edited a file, saved it, that that would somehow "retrain" my computer to recognize these programs and their locations, but it didn't work.

I also tried a restart, and it didn't help. The only other way that works almost as quick as a direct file association, is to take the file I want to edit from the folder window, and drag it into the program shortcut icon on the desktop, and that will open the chosen file in the program-- sort of semi-directly. And that is probably the way I will do it in the meantime.

But I'm curious why now, after all these years of not ever having a file/program association problem, I'm suddenly having them now?

Thank you,

-- John

I have already tried the usual right click on program, "open program with", [+] Other Programs, Browse if it's not in the list, find the file myself and then click "Open".

When you did this, did you make sure there was a check in the "always use this program..." box?

If you could open ADE by clicking on a .bgl file, then you have a very old version of ADE.

Jon took that function out of ADE several years, and versions, ago IIUC.

If you have CCleaner, you might run it and have it check the registry for errors. It might find the problem.

Moving files around should not have affected anything, I do this all the time without losing file associations.

Moving the programs could cause problems because Windows does not know where to find them anymore.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

When you did this, did you make sure there was a check in the "always use this program..." box?

Yes I did.

If you could open ADE by clicking on a .bgl file, then you have a very old version of ADE. Jon took that function out of ADE several years, and versions, ago IIUC.

Actually, I coulda' sworn I was running ADE v1.61 (which isn't that old). But maybe I thought the .bgl's were assigned to open w/ ADE, when in fact they were not. (Could I have imagined that I saw that? Now you got my questioning myself).

If you have CCleaner, you might run it and have it check the registry for errors. It might find the problem.

I have FS Registry Repair. Is that sort of the same thing, or completely different function? If you see benefits to CCleaner that I'm unaware of, then maybe I should add this to my ever-growing tool collection. (Another thing for the 2tb J-drive!).

Moving files around should not have affected anything, I do this all the time without losing file associations.

Okay, that's good to hear.

Moving the programs could cause problems because Windows does not know where to find them anymore.

peace,

the Bean

And in fact that may have been what I did. Or if not moved them... renamed the folder, thus changing the perceived address path. So many little things I have to be careful of. I can make little moves, forgetting that they have consequences I forget about until 2 or 3 hours later, when I go to run something.

Thanks for your input.

-- John

Actually, I coulda' sworn I was running ADE v1.61 (which isn't that old).

v1.70 is the current version, v1.61 is not even supported anymore.

I have FS Registry Repair. Is that sort of the same thing, or completely different function?

Completely different function. CCLeaner (short for Cr*p Cleaner) cleans unwanted junk from your computer. It also has a Registry tool that cleans up the Registry and may find broken file associations.

If you see benefits to CCleaner that I'm unaware of, then maybe I should add this to my ever-growing tool collection.

IMO everyone should have CCleaner on their computer and use it regularly.

I would caution you to use the Registry tool carefully and if in doubt, leave well enough alone.

You cannot hurt anything by having CCleaner analyze your Registry and CCleaner can backup the Registry for you, should you choose to have it clean up your Registry.

That way, if you have problems later you can revert to the backup easily.

FWIW, I have used CCLeaner for years without ever having any problems.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I also use CCleaner.

Additionally, I use a little program called JRT (Junk Removal Tool), and good ol' Norton Utilities. I always figgered that Peter Norton invented most of this stuff, he's probably pretty good at it by now, even though he's retired now.

I go through all that good stuff about once a week or so. Too much too often? Maybe, but I figure it can't hurt...

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived