New drivers for GeForce 750 ti Will. Not. Install.

Hi folks,

Win 7 x64 machine. I have very old drivers (347.52 to be exact) and I have tried to install new ones for a while now. Every time it fails. So because I have drivers that work I just don't worry about it very much. Finally this past week I decided I'm going to delve into this and update my drivers.

I've tried literally every tip, trick, process, procedure, etc., that I could find. No dice. A few times I wound up without a driver at all, system not even using my card. Did a system restore a few times. I did update the bios. So now my situation is, I have:

- updated the BIOS to the latest version

- system-restored myself back to the last version of my drivers that worked.

So I have a working system. I have not tried this exact procedure:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?160827-Video-Driver-Installation-Guide&p=1100421#post1100421

But I have done virtually step-for-step what he suggests (save for deleting the files in the C drive before updating).

I don't want to go on a wild goose chase again, go through the process above, and wind up right back where I am. Given what I have tried without success, is there a chance that following Neal's procedure to a T will work? Bear in mind, nothing else has.

I've tried installing every imaginable driver version, too. The one that I think has been most recommended is 359.06.

I know I'm not the only person with this problem. Do I even need to update the driver? What do you guys recommend I do?

Many, many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Explain what you mean by 'will not install'.

Does the installer not run at all? Does it run but give an error? What is the exact error message?

Also, are you sure the monitor is connected to the card and not to the connector for internal graphics by mistake?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Explain what you mean by 'will not install'.

Does the installer not run at all? Does it run but give an error? What is the exact error message?

I got the furthest along this last time, trying to install 359.06. It got to the point where it restarted the computer, the progress bar got about 80% of the way across in the Nvidia graphic, the screen flashed once early on then a second time, and then... "Fail". It just said the driver failed to install.

The only thing I may have forgotten in retrospect was to do a clean install (this last time). But I had done clean installs many times before, and none of them worked either.

Also, are you sure the monitor is connected to the card and not to the connector for internal graphics by mistake?

Nope, the PC recognizes the card, it is up and running, just with the very old drivers.

Would you suggest giving Neal's process a go? Thanks very much for your reply!

I never used any of that. No need.

I did like some drivers effects on the graphics more then others, but never a problem with installing.

I always use the clean install option of the installer.

About the guide, I don't think it's needed. For example, in my C:nvidia folder at one time were the install files of 5 drivers, each in it's own folder. That did not give any issue with installing.

I did move the folders to drive D:\ at some point, but only to save them for later and also create space on C:\ drive. Not because of an issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never used any of that. No need.

I did like some drivers effects on the graphics more then others, but never a problem with installing.

I always use the clean install option of the installer.

About the guide, I don't think it's needed. For example, in my C:nvidia folder at one time were the install files of 5 drivers, each in it's own folder. That did not give any issue with installing.

I did move the folders to drive D:\ at some point, but only to save them for later and also create space on C:\ drive. Not because of an issue.

I use win7-64 btw, and I always used my admin account when installing the driver.

I used the admin account as well. So you really don't think there's any need for me to update the drivers? What drivers are you running now?

Because the new drivers are on your computer use Device Manager from the Windows Control panel to update. I have had to do that a few times in the past.

Tried that and it either tells me the driver is up to date, or if I do a search for driver files on my computer it won't show the newest one in the list. This is really frustrating at this point.

Archived