Auster J1 Autocrat Tweaking

pilotposer

Hello,

I downloaded David F Molyneaux's FS9 Auster J1 Autocrat and would like to tweak it a little.

Is it possible to smooth out the "bucking bronco" problem on landing as well as maybe increasing the engine size in the aircraft cfg file. I know the plane is set up for realism for this particular aircraft, but I just want to make it a little more civil and slightly more faster.

Thank you

I know less than nothing about a J1, but yes, you should be able to make the changes you desire in either the aircraft.cfg file or the plane's .air file, for which you will need something like AirEd or similar, easily found in the library here at FlightSim. For the aircraft.cfg I strongly recommend Notepad, included with Windows, or Notepad++, a freeware. Whatever you use, never use a word processing program. They add characters to the files that make them unusable to the sim.

This is all predicated, naturally, on you NOT then publishing the changes, either as freeware or payware, without the original author's permission. For your own, private, use, no problem.

Does that answer your question? For more detailed information, you'll need someone more familiar with the particular aircraft than I am. I can tell you how to make it faster, but the porpoising on landing I'd need more info. Is it freeware? Where can it be DL'd? Does it do the bouncing on Autopilot, or hand-flying it only? And so on.

Hope this all helps a little bit...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks everyone,

I would never upload anybodys copyrighted aircraft without permission from the author. It is always for my personal use and nobody else.

The aircraft was downloaded here at Flightsim and when landing the planes nose will go up and down making for a white knuckle landing. Speed is good, flaps right position, weather clear.

Aircraft will just up and down on final. I just want to dampen the motion of up and down while on final. I thought I saw a way to do this with an adjustment to the scalar in flight tuning in the aircraft Cfg.

Haha Mr. Zippy, very funny.

I can't see why you would have a 'problem' (with the handling OR the plane 'bouncing') if you are landing it at 35 kts (or less?). How? It's a tail dragger. You need to make 3 pt landing and for that (with the current FDEs) you need to enter a modest amount of UP PITCH TRIM (keeps the nose up). Try that. How do I 'know'. I played with it that's how (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: The FDEs are perfect for this 'low & slow' aircraft. Perfect! And being that the FDEs are perfect, I suppose you could 'soup it up' without ruining the overall handling. Maybe 25 kts more cruising (180 kts top speed)? PM me. We'll 'talk'.

Edit: Well making it faster resulted in it being 'all wrong'. But using my own FDEs I got it going 180 kts (top spd) but it will cruise all day at 80 kts with 1 of flaps 20% Power AND (VERY IMPORTANT) +3.3 of Pitch trim. Best of both worlds? Oh, lands at 30 kts.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

pilotposer,

Maybe you ought to try Dave's Auster A.O.P. 9... it's got a 180 hp Cirrus Bombardier!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I used my Super Cub FDEs on the Autocrat to make it go 180 kts if that is what he want to do (for fun). Can cruise at 80 kts. Lands at 35 kts. Same as the original FDEs. Just more top speed.

I would not trade good handling just for higher speeds. That I don't ever want to do. I am going to go make a video to show this. I'll be baaaack.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks Zip! It's always fun to play with something new. Airplanes I mean...

Chuck: Go get em! You're a lot better at FDE's than I am!

PP: I meant nothing personal at all. Sort of a generic kinda thang :)

I think Chuck will do better at this than I but hey, if you still want me to look, I will.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

No problem Phantom, I need more experience flying old planes. Once I start landing her smooth, I am going to try a more powerful mill to add a little cruising speed. I never realized that I should land this bird at 35kts.

Thanks everyone

You shouldn't have to take 'flying school' to fly the Auster (or the Cub, etc). You DO have to learn how to use the throttle, pitch trim, flaps, rudder (turn 'Auto Rudder' OFF!!) and anticipate so you don't stall it. With a little practice, and 1 of flaps, 20% power and +3.0 pitch trim you will learn to fly it 'Bush' style. You can see what these type airplanes can do by entering 'Bush Flying' at YouTube. It's amazing. And 'Real'.

I made a video of the Auster with new FDEs and links are at 'MSFSVideos' forum. Enjoy.

Chuck B

Napamule

The Austers were built for low and slow flying, just like the J-3, T-Crafts, Stinson L-5's, etc.

Master 'Slow Flight' and your STOL procedures; you'll be able to land that J-1 on a dime, and even have some spare change left over for McDonald's! :p

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Master 'Slow Flight' and your STOL procedures, and you'll be able to land that J-1 on a dime, and even have some spare change left over for McDonald's!

And when they say slow, they mean SLOW!

Get the wind just right, you can hover like a chopper! I bet it will do the Bush Flying trick of skating across the water and stopping on the beach. I've seen that in more than a couple of real life type vids. Looks awesome.

Good luck PP! I wager 91% of landing this plane is practice, practice, practice! Do that, and you could land yourself on Broadway :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is an art to landing an Auster, they are well known for running out of elevator authority at the stall. My biggest problem when I converted from a Tiger Moth to an Auster Alpha was that I had to fly with my left hand on the stick, Right hand on the throttle, vice versa the Tiger!

Keith

Tim,

Or, you could land on the roof of the McD's on Broadway! And yes you can 'skim' on water (must have floats set 'just right'). I can do that. This Auster has floats set up just for that. Link for 'Hot' FDEs: https://www.mediafire.com/?9giv5dg9gvcm9d3 . It's all good. Enjoy.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Here is me Bush Flying: https://youtu.be/JcaHOGG7PZQ .

Oh, and it flys just as good in FSX Acceleration (just get an FSX compatible panel) without any changes to any of the files. All it really needs is the (Camera Views) in cfg.

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived