Recover Joystick Button Assignment

Ray Hff

All my joystick button assignments are set to my liking.

One particular aircraft changes those button assignments.

If I load a different aircraft, it does not revert back to my button assignments.

If I do a reset of controls to default, it goes back to FSX's original assignments.

The only way I can get back to my assignments is to completely close FSX and restart it.

After using that one particular aircraft, how can I recover my settings without exiting FSX?

Any help is appreciated.

The sim uses the standard.xml file in the appdata folder tree as the functional controls list. There is another standard.xml file in the sim ROOT folder - this is the default copy and is used to overwrite the active version when you press the 'reset' key. After making a copy of this file you can make your preferred settings the default by replacing the original in FSX root folder.

You could even have different versions in either location for special needs so you wouldn't have to keep changing them manually (in game) at the time you choose that 'special' aircraft. Or boat; or whatever.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I understand your root folder explanation. Thank you.

In my case, the few aircraft that change the view settings cause me the problem. (I use my joystick buttons to switch views.)

After changing back to any another aircraft, my original view settings don't change back to my settings.

The current aircraft in question is the new C-47 V3. If I run it my view settings are changed. If I change back to another aircraft, it just stays that way.

To recover/reload my settings, reloading an aircraft or resetting a flight doesn't cause it to fall back as I would like.

I'm really looking for was a way to force the reload of my controls as defined in my standard.xml and camera cfg file.

The only solution I've found so far, is to close and reload FSX.

I found using FSUIPC solved all those problems and many more. You can set up all your aircraft the same way or each one individually.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

After changing back to any another aircraft, my original view settings don't change back to my settings.

The current aircraft in question is the new C-47 V3. If I run it my view settings are changed. If I change back to another aircraft, it just stays that way.

To recover/reload my settings, reloading an aircraft or resetting a flight doesn't cause it to fall back as I would like.

I'm really looking for was a way to force the reload of my controls as defined in my standard.xml and camera cfg file.

The only solution I've found so far, is to close and reload FSX.

OK, changing to another aircraft and/or "resetting the flight" doesn't restore control settings. Have you tried setting up a totally different flight with a new starting point and destination, as well as a different aircraft? I'm thinking that sticking to the "original flight"

might be causing the issue.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr. Zippy

Thanks for the try. Tried it, but no joy.

Have found this from Microsoft, "....cameras.cfg file (located in app data) is only reloaded when the game is restarted."

As for setting up every plane with their own camera calls, I'd rather wait and find an easy way to reload this static information without all that effort. (Like most, I've have a lot of aircraft.)

Hi Ray,

I'm extremely skeptical that what you say regarding an aircraft changing any settings in Standard.xml is accurate. I, too, have my view settings assigned to keys on my controller. One key to cycle view categories and another to cycle views within the category. Here's the only thing that I can think of that might be causing what you're experiencing: a dramatic change in location of an aircraft from where a flight was saved can result in the views within a category point in the wrong direction. Assigning a key to the command to reload the aircraft will fix this. Without more specifics that's the only thing I can think of.

Jim F.

The change is in the view settings. Whether that's from a change to the camera.cfg or standard.xml, I am uncertain.

But it is a fact. Once changed by the one aircraft, the views do not appear to be recoverable in any way except by restart of the FSX.

Hi Ray,

Could you be specific about what views are being changed when changing aircraft? Under normal circumstances Standard.xml will only be modified by intentional re-assignment of the keys; Cameras.cfg can only be modified by manually editing the file.

What you're experiencing is not normal. Different cockpit views are defined in the Cameradefinitions in the Aircraft.cfg for each aircraft and can vary from aircraft to aircraft but should not carry over to another aircraft.

And what specifically do you mean when you say the "views do not appear to be recoverable"? And did you try an "Aircraft (reload)"?

Jim F.

Two of the key assignments that are changed are the Top Down Cam 4 view and the View -Locked Spot.

The key assignments do not appear to be recoverable without a restart. To recover the original view assignments which are common to most of my other

aircraft, I have to close FSX and restart it.

If I load another plane, or another flight, or another airport or change all three, I still an stuck with the C-47 key assignments.

So I have to restart FSX.

If you'd like to see a really great C-47, a truly payware grade aircraft, the file is Douglas_C-47_V3_12_Beta.zip by Manmfred Jahn. It is now available here and on several other boards.

The model within the aircraft I have been using is the paratrooper version.

Hi Ray,

This sounds really strange. The Top Down view and the Locked Spot views are not unique to the aircraft; they're defined in the Cameras.cfg and shouldn't be effected by an aircraft change. I do have the latest C-47 beta and will check things out and see if I can replicate the problem. Focusing on one thing; the Top Down seems easiest. In what way does it change?

Without referring to Hot Key assignments, which an individual can assign differently, I'm just going to suggest cycling through each view category and then the views within each category. To see Top Down view you must be in the "Outside View" category as evidenced by"Outside View:" in red letters appearing at the right top of the screen. Beneath this you should see the view within the category, also in red letters. As you switch views within the "Outside View:" category the Top lettering should remain the same and the next line should change to the next view. With all that, when you are in Outside view can you ever get Top Down view after using the C47 or is it not available in the cycle?

Jim F.

Hi Ray,

I will confirm what you are saying! I reprogrammed the locked spot view from key F11 (default) to button 8 on my joystick. I used the default Baron58 to confirm it worked as programmed. I rebooted FSX and started a flight with the V.3 C-47. Button 8 on the joystick had little or no response. Rechecking the assignment was still set up the way I reprogrammed. I switched to the default Baron and button 8 still had no response.

This is an odd duck!:eek::confused: I may quack up!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You're on to something.

I was surprised. By using the A and S keys I can return to other views but the F key assignments are lost. The F keys then have no effect. And it's the F key assignments that my joystick keys on.

Only by restarting FSX can I get the F key assignments back.

Hi Ray,

Are you using FSUIPC? By default it's only possible to assign individual keys, either those of the keyboard or controller to a command. The command can be duplicated but not aliased (if that makes sense).

I seem to recall reading that FSUIPC can alias keys and, if so, that may be the problem. I don't want to install FSUIPC in order to check this out. I had a problem with my yoke and pedal commands getting intermittently swapped when I had it installed. I'm not 100% sure it was the culprit but I'm holding off installing it until I have a real need.

I did check the C47 but as I never used the F keys I've deleted those assignments. Just in case you're not aware of this, the control listings on the kneeboard are an accurate reflection of the current key assignment and not just some generic default. The less junk on it the better.

Jim F.

I don't use FSUIPC. In loading up a CPU , I too believe less is more.

Until an idea emerges, I'll settle for restarting FSX IF I want the F keys back -- which I will.

I appreciate your consideration and effort.

Hi Ray,

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. But I do have a question "How can you assign a controller button to an F key?" I can only see that you can can assign an Event, such as "Top-Down View (shortcut)" to a keystroke.

And for my satisfaction make sure that some download didn't install FSUIPC without being asked (if there's a Modules folder in the main FSX folder it would be worth investigating. I hate to leave a mystery unsolved.

Jim F.

Regarding FSUIPC and Modules, I know do not have it installed.

While my name here shows merely "Member", I've been messing around with sims since the Commodore 64 would let you fly a blocky set of pixels back in 1979. While I regrettably have not taken the time to get into PC programming, part of my career was as a main frame programmer. (I've just been too lazy to pickup PC programming.)

As for the F key link, using the top down view as an example.

Go to "settings"

Under settings then go to "buttons and keys"

Scroll down to "View Camera 4" which is the default top down view camera.

Then, I have that view assigned both to F12 on the keyboard and to button 7 on my joystick; i.e., an F key action assigned to the joystick

I appreciate all your interest and diligence.

... i.e., an F key action assigned to the joystick.

Not really, what you have is a Key Event assigned to both a keystroke and a joystick button.

A bit of semantics really, however when you press the joystick button the sim does not see it as an "F" key press, it sees it as a key event command.

Open the aircraft.cfg and search for HotKeySelect.

You will find it three times.

For each one, add "//" to the beginning of the line to "comment" that line out, FS will ignore it.

//HotKeySelect=nn

peace,

the Bean

P.S. If you want those views assigned to keys other than F9-F12, it can be done.

Addendum

Only comment out numbers 2 and 4.

Commenting out number 3 may have adverse affects, I would have to test and cannot do that right now.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi,

Well, mystery solved, thanks to StringBean! And Ray, I apologize if I came across as doubting your familiarity with Flight simming; that wasn't my intention. A lot of times I'll just throw stuff out that I think might be beneficial to someone in the forum. I had FS1 on my TRS-80 and it was just 2 or 3 years ago that I realized that about the kneeboard. And, within the same last 2 or 3 years I ran an .exe installer which also installed FSUIPC without my knowledge. And finally, whoever it was that thought that redefining the Hot keys without ample warning was a good idea should rethink that.

Jim F.

For the C-47, I'm happy with the views for that aircraft.

I guess I could redefine the hotkeys in another aircraft to match the default and just load that aircraft as a pseudo reset after flying the C-47.

That'd be faster than restarting FSX.

feel your pain. I have experienced simiar issues with the controls data being lost and then default FSx controls

The one aircraft i noticed i had this with was the Just Flight Tonka. Wasn't an issue to start with but after a sp pack update from JF i loaded the tonka training program and KAPOOT!!! caused a list of control and views issues , and buggered up my ezdoc camera s views too.

I solved it by investing in full version of FSUPIC …believe me, spend a little time with the program and 99% of your fsx issues disappear.

my advice, FSUPIC

Thank you for all the ideas.

At this point I'll put up with my hackneyed solutions.

Likely the FSUIPC would be an alternative;but, at this juncture, I'm saving my funds for the next great simulator. At 10 years old, although still great, FSX is getting a quite a few whiskers.

Hi,

Just to kind of wrap things up; at least for me. I had deleted the the default assignments for hot keys 1 - 4. These are related to F9 - F12 respectively. When I loaded the C47, pressing any of the F9 - F12 keys had no visible effect. I referred to the Standard.xml template in the main FSX folder and re-assigned the keys to default. After re-starting FSX and the C47 now pressing F9 - F12 resulted in the views as defined in the aircraft.cfg opening. Go figure. After reading all of the documentation accompanying the C47 it seems that the key re-definition was only to suit the personal preference of the person who re-defined them. I can see no down side to simply deleting the hot key redefinitions if they don't suit anyone's personal preferences.

Jim F.

After trying a variety of experiments, for me, StringBean's suggestion to just comment out the hotkeys was the best solution. Thank you, Bean.

An aside: As I consider how much time I've spent over the years on tweaking FSX, I've come to one conclusion -- Curiosty condemns one to a lifetime of tinkering.

Archived