A really dumb question

Habu1967

Even though I have dozens of flight (*.FLT) in the appropriate directory, when I try and load one in FSX-SE all that are displayed is a small portion of the flights. Please tell this OLD pilot (71) where I am going wrong!!

Thanks,

Les

A .FLT is a saved scenario only: what plane, where, what time, what weather - it's a starting point only. A flight PLAN (.pln) however, is a route from some starting point to a destination. Is this perhaps what you are thinking about?

You could (I certainly do) define a route, save it (.pln) then place my aircraft at the starting point, set the time, weather, aircraft etc, Save that as a flight (.flt) - think of it as the initialization file- and then fly the route. If you load the .pln before you save the .flt, then loading the flight will also load the plan just as if you had just finished building it all originally.

Hope this helps.

Loyd

PS. I'm 71 also.

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

A .flt file should also be accompanied by ty other files with the same name and of different type. for example abc.flt abc.wx and one more. (i forgot the last extension, but filename also abc.)
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try looking on your C drive, Users, You user name, MyDocuments, Flight Simulater X (on mine it's C:\Users\StuckInARut\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files). THAT is where they're all stored, by default, and where the sim looks for them.

I made a shortcut on the desktop to it so I can look at what's there, save one's I DL, and so on.

Hope that helps a little!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

A .FLT is a saved scenario only: what plane, where, what time, what weather - it's a starting point only. A flight PLAN (.pln) however, is a route from some starting point to a destination. Is this perhaps what you are thinking about?

You could (I certainly do) define a route, save it (.pln) then place my aircraft at the starting point, set the time, weather, aircraft etc, Save that as a flight (.flt) - think of it as the initialization file- and then fly the route. If you load the .pln before you save the .flt, then loading the flight will also load the plan just as if you had just finished building it all originally.

Hope this helps.

Loyd

PS. I'm 71 also.

The .flt and the .pln are two separate, but combined elements. What you do is load the flight (.flt) then load the flight plan (.pln) from within the sim. Then you are good to go. You don't need to do anything with the .wx files as they will load with the .flt.

BTW, a hot tip for you - if you associate .flt files with your FSX.exe by right clicking on one and going to properties and `associate with...` and pointing it to the .exe you can load the sim DIRECTLY from the flight. Can save a useful bit of time, and more than offsets the time spent having to load the plan after the flight.

The .flt and the .pln are two separate, but combined elements. What you do is load the flight (.flt) then load the flight plan (.pln) from within the sim. Then you are good to go. You don't need to do anything with the .wx files as they will load with the .flt.

BTW, a hot tip for you - if you associate .flt files with your FSX.exe by right clicking on one and going to properties and `associate with...` and pointing it to the .exe you can load the sim DIRECTLY from the flight. Can save a useful bit of time, and more than offsets the time spent having to load the plan after the flight.

Thanks everyone. I was trying to save and load a scenario from PC Pilot. The only files that were supplied were the FLT, WX, and another one. I created a PLN for the scenario and now all is well.

Thanks again,

Les

Archived