Restore from backup

RickG

Hi. I need some info re reinstalling from a backup. This laptop came with Win 8.1, but is now running Win10. I did the Windows 'make a backup' thing when it still had 8.1 installed, and put the backup onto a thumb drive. All seemed ok, I got no error or warning messages. This laptop seems all goofy now, so I was wondering about a restore to 8.1, then back to Win10. How does one go about it, if I did this right so far? I've heard you put the flash drive into the usb port, with pc off, then on boot up, press F10 to boot from the thumb--correct? or have I been lied to lol Thanks. Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

Do you mean the make a backup was something that zip offered by windows while upgrading? I hadn't heard of that. I only know after the upgrade it shows a counter in the winupdate menu offering a 'revert to win 8' option, counting down for thirty days. (thirty days to try out the new OS.)

Or do you mean you made a backup yourself, manually? So you could revert back even after the thirty days were up.

In that case, did you make a 'backup' or a 'system image'.

To restore the Operating System you would need a system image.

What is the file or folder on the Usbdrive called?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi. I made the backup myself. I believe in the Control Panel, is an option to do that. I believe it's a backup, not sys. image. When I open the flash, this is what I see--

folder called-- Factory Update

folder called-- Recovery

file called-- HPUCRM.flg

file called-- info.dat

files called-- installswm, and more going up to install77.swm

Hope this helps. Rick

Running FSX-SE on   Intel core i7-12700kf,  DDR4 16G,  Nvidia Geforce RTX3070 8gb6, 1tbm.2 pcie ssd,  on windows 11.

I never worked with this before myself.

On google I searched those filenames and found it is a split image file (a split .wim file).

It seems you can indeed restore those to disk. Through a straightforward way. And if that doesn't work there are ways to turn it into a .wim file that can be restored.

This is one of the many threads on it I found.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44021-need-help-reinstalling-windonws-8-usb-2.html

before you do any of it, make sure you create a win10 install disk. You can download that now that you have upgraded to win10.

With that you can install win10 in case the restored win8 won't boot or just fails.

All new files you stored since upgrading to 10 will be gone after reverting to win8. Copy important stuff to a backup disk.

That link I gave looks pretty complex. The standard method is briefly described at the top as well.

Google it some more, because the complicated steps may not be needed at all.

I don't know enough about this to guide you through it, sorry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi again. Will check this out and see where it goes from there--Thanks. Rick

Archived