EZ-Scenery and existing scenery .bgl question

Qballbandit

Good day,

I used to use EZ-Scenery to add objects to airports and bush scenery's, way back.

Getting back to it now, I can't for the life of me remember how to convert a .bgl so I can use/edit it in EZ-Scenery.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Neil :cool:

Neil,

One of the options in the Abacus EZ program is that, during startup, it can scan your whole FS9 installation to search for (addon) scenery library files, the related objects of which you can then use for positioning in any of your other (addon) sceneries.

I assume that this is what you mean because as far as I know you cannot disassemble any non library BGL and then edit it via the EZ program. For this you need either a disassembler/compiler for the older Scasm BGLs or a different disassmbler/compiler for the more modern BGLs based on XML code. However, these are difficult to actually edit.

Please also be aware that editing BGLs in any way, may infringe on copy- and other rights, belonging to the original author(s).

Hope this helps.

Hans

Thanks very much for your reply, Hans.

Where I am confused is - in the past, I took a default airport (06C), and modelled it to look more like the real thing. When I was finished, I placed the new .bgl files in the "addon scenery/scenery folder", and can continue to open and edit them at my whim.

"it can scan your whole FS9 installation to search for (addon) scenery library files"

Where is that option - I am not seeing it?

An issue I am having is when I want to select a .bgl from, or place objects in an add-on scenery (in my "addon scenery" folder) EZ-Scenery tells me that it "can only open .bgl files saved with EZ-Scenery for editing". How do I save them prior to wanting to edit them?

I am rather embarrassed, because I used to do this regularly...now it all escapes me, and the documentation I have seems a bit "thin".

Where I am confused is - in the past, I took a default airport (06C), and modelled it to look more like the real thing. When I was finished, I placed the new .bgl files in the "addon scenery/scenery folder", and can continue to open and edit them at my whim.

Generally speaking, when modifying an airport you would be creating a new BGL (rather than a modified version of an original) file containing the additional detail you have created.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hello John, appreciate your reply.

Maybe I need to explain clearer what I am trying to do, and where I am getting stuck.

I can create a new .bgl file after placing any object that I have available within my libraries.

For example; at airport NEIL (which is Neil.bgl) I can add an object, and save it as "Neil_add_cabin.bgl". Then I can open "Neil_add_cabin.bgl" and continue to modify from there (add/delete/move objects).

It's the original Neil.bgl file that I can't open in EZ-Scenery, which would enable me to delete/move an object that's a part of that scenery .bgl.

My mission is to move or delete objects within add-on scenery (freeware from the library here), mostly using RWY12 objects. Am I not able to do that with EZ-Scenery?

Hi Neil, you can't open the Neil.bgl itself with EZ-Scenery, but if you go to Neil airport within FS2004 you'll be able to select the unwanted buildings and objects with EZ-Scenery and move or remove them, then add new ones from the library.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hello tiger1952,

That's it in a nutshell, I can't select any objects.

I am trying to edit a couple of Roger Wensley float base sceneries, where I don't want his static float planes - I want to replace with my own. I also wanted to swap a cabin in one of them. I am not able to open EZ-Scenery, then begin to delete or move objects at my location of choice, because the "select object" box is greyed out. Don't you have to select a .bgl first before deleting/moving objects in it?

Thanks much,

Neil,

In your example the "Neil.bgl" is not an EZ type library file and which uses non EZ MDL (GUID) based textures. "Neil.bgl" can therefore not be opened by the EZ program nor can it's non EZ objects/textures be used for EZ positioning. Not all addon sceneries use library BGLs, some are old Scasm type BGLs while others can be XML based BGLs.

However, when you fly to or slew to, e.g. your Neil airport, you can then add any amount of objects via the EZ (or RWY12) program and this will create a completely new BGL, e.g. your "Neil_add_cabin.bgl".

In EZ's "Help" section under "The FS 2004 Libraries & EZ-Libraries" an example is given using the Empire State building and the Eiffel Tower in Paris. These are examples of the EZ program searching for any useable library BGLs and the search will also include any addon library BGLs, the objects of which can then be placed anywhere.

I hope this helps.

Hans

Archived