Graphics card error

Adamk99

Hello there!

I'm Adam and I'm in need of some help with my FSX. Firstly, my apologies if I have posted this to the wrong location.

I had FSX SE running well on my computer on Wibdows 8.1 with 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit processor, however my Qualitywings 757 would not install as there was a snag with the blgmanx.dll file, and other addons I wanted were iffy with 8.1 and I don't want to waste £50 on, for instance, the PMDG 737, if no support could be offered if it went wrong. Due to this, I opted to uninstall 8.1 and add 7. When my computer was back up and running, I reinstalled steam and FSX, the only difference between this time and the previous being that the DLC I had purchased reinstalled at the same time and obviously the fact it was on windows 7.

When I went to run FSX, it went through the same 20 part install process it did the first time, however, when it came to actually launching FSX, I got the following error:

"This graphics card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support. This product requires GeForce3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card."

"Flight Simulator will now exit."

I don't believe my computer has a graphics card, however, it ran fine before with nothing other than the operating system being different, and with a fair few add-ons on it, too, so I am puzzled as to why it won't work now.

I have read around on this forum and others but I can't adapt that info for my situation, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Adam

Hi there, thank you very much for the suggestion, but it said that the latest driver software is already installed, and the problem persists.

Do you think completely uninstalling FSX and steam is an idea and slowly and carefully reinstalling it might do any good?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

It doesn't seem likely that a reinstall would fix the problem. Click Start and then type in "dxdiag" and click on dxdiag.exe at the top. If you have 64bit click on the tab to run that. Check to see if you see anything odd in the display Tab.

Hi there, tried looking there but the only things of note were:

DirextX Features

Directdraw Acceleration: Not Available

Direct3D Acceleration: Not Available

AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

And

DDI Version: Unknown

Driver Model: Unknown

They are the only things on the display window that seem odd to me. And you were correct about the clean install, the problem persists.

Thanks,

Adam

I have since installed an update from driver max to the graphics driver, and my dcdiag now looks exactly like that, and FSX runs exactly as it had done! Now to try that Qualitywings 757, and since payday's just been it may be time to treat myself to the PMDG 737NGX!

Thank you both for your excellent help and guidance, if it weren't for it I wouldn't have been looking in that area myself.

• 1 year later...

Hi

The OP (Adam) states in post #8 that he updated the graphics driver..........

Download the latest driver for your card from the manufacturers' website, install and see what happens.

BTW additional info regarding using Device Manager to try and update drivers - by default the process will only check the MS update server for updated drivers. Often these will be out of date so it is always best to simply go direct to the manufacturers' own website........

Regards

Brian

Archived