How long can I use 1 AIRAC data cycle from Aerosoft?

Meaning:

I'm seriously considering buying a (1) data cycle from Aerosoft;A.K.A. NavDataPro.

So, what happens if I , for example, a) buy 1 cycle today.and b) buy another product / addon 5 months from now?

Hypothetically speaking, could I use the same cycle - that I bought in July, to update the addon or new product bought at the end of the year?

Thanks in advance,

No_Inflight_Meal?

Yes, the nav data is a download. You can buy it monthly, quarterly, or yearly if you get it from Navigraph and monthly or yearly from Aerosoft (I don't believe they offer quarterly). Each developer's aircraft takes a different file, but you buy the 'cycle' rather than individual files so you have access to all those you may need. You may install the files manually or via an application furnished by the vendors.

DJ

...but the downloads for a single cycle are only available as long as that cycle is current. So if you plan to install that data in a yet unknown addon aircraft, you would have to download all packages of the cycle at once and store them.

I ran into this very problem a couple of times with NavDataPro - bought a new addon and realized that I could no longer download my previously acquired nav data. In the end I gave in and I am now on a full subscription plan with Navigraph.

Thanks for all the responses.

So, do you know, where i could get access to current charts;(aside from Navigraph) that would cover the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think SkyVector fills that role. (Not that I "fly" internationally that much.) But when I do, it would be nice to have the charts.

Thanks in Advance,

No_Inflight_Meal?

Apparently, according to Aerosoft, they do have charts; just not bundled. According to the e-mail I received, a bundled package should be available by the end of July 2016.

I've looked and looked around their site for the charts, (sold separately, as of this writing.) Does anyone know where they are on their site?

Thanks,

No_Inflight_Meal?

That depends on the type of "charts". There are en-route charts (maps really) with airways etc. and airport charts which describe approach and departure procedures.

Airport charts are usually available online for free, just not all in one place, you have to hunt for them. The problem with real world charts is, that what is on them might not match what you have in the simulator (Navaids, runway alignment, taxi routes and parking), because the data in FSX is very old. There are free FSX navaid updates available from Herve Sors.

Enroute charts are not so common, maybe because they are not that important in the sim. Again there are two types, IFR and VFR charts/maps. I bought a couple of paper VFR charts for my home country, to fly GA planes. IFR/RNAV charts are included in Navigraph.

Which one you need IMHO depends on your type of flying.

- Airport charts are always required. There is no flying from or to an airport without consulting them.

- IFR charts are more nice-to-have but you don't really need them in the sim, as it has the built-in map which basically shows the same information.

- VFR charts are fun if you fly GA around your home town, but they are hard to come by online and/or free of charge.

All in all I found the Navigraph subscription to be the best overall solution. Airport and IFR charts are included, the chart viewer application works well and I can download fresh AIRAC cycles for most of the major addons. Furthermore I can use the Navigraph chart client on every computer I like, so I can for example put the charts app on my tablet.

Another alternative to the charts would be an EFB (like from Aivlasoft) which works with the in-sim data as opposed to real-world data. So the information on the EFB does always match what you will encounter in the sim.

Archived