Ddr2 ddr3

I have a 2010 motherboard that takes DDR2 memory. I'm not sure if DDR3 existed back then but I'm wondering if I can put DDR3 in the slots without making the pc go haywire. Any thoughts? Thanks! Edit...Can slot 1 and 2 be DDR2 and slot 3 and 4 be DDR3?

If your Mobo doesn't support DDR3 it won't boot. You are also unable to mix DDR types on the same board unless it supports what is termed as mixed mode. However, there are very few MoBos available that have this. Read the Mobo documentation if you have it OR google the Mobo model to get the info OR search the internet to find memory vendors and independent developers who have tools that can check your Mobo and give you details of what its specs are and what it can take.

One such vendor that I know of is Crucial - it has a handy tool on its website that can be used to verify what is on the Mobo and recommend compatible replacements - although the products offered are of course Crucial products, you don't need to register on the website to get the tool or recommendations - simply use the info to find out what you can install and then search for your chosen brand.

It is worth noting that, even if your MoBo can't take DDR3, you may be able to upgrade to faster speed DDR2 sticks.

Regards

Brian

Thanks guys for the replies. I have not given memory a thought since building my 2 flightsim pc's. I think that as long as the sim flies along just fine then I don't think about what kind of pc's I'm running. Of course right after posting I went to the mobo site to get the info. Still cool to post here to get opinions. I'll order some DDR2 sticks off the net. I'm sure that will boost these old systems somewhat. Happy Flying!:pilot:

Archived