Why do terrains load at different distances?

Mac6737

Hard to explain, BUT:

For years I've been sad that the stock FSX scenery does not include the island of Tortola, BVI (where my wife and I once owned a vacation home). The USVI are all there, and so (oddly) is Virgin Gorda, BVI. But Tortola (the main BVI island) is just a flat brown area on the ocean. Then I recently found a freeware DL on this site: islesviergesv2. It's fine! At last, I had Tortola.

Funny thing: when flying towards the Virgin Islands, all the other islands come into relief much sooner than does Tortola; then, when you get real close, the Tortola addon scenery pops up, bit by bit, into full relief.

Is there some slider setting or other tweak that will have all the Virgin Islands display in relief at the same range? Or is this anomaly just baked in to the addon? (BTW, the author has not responded to an email asking this question.)

Mac6737

It's likely "baked into" the addon. Developers have control over quite a number of parameters, including at what scenery "density" setting each building or other item appears.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived