Shift+5 inoperable

fragmentum

Somehow I have lost the ability to bring up 'maps' in FSX using keyboard Shift+5. In fact, Shift+5 doesn't bring up any views. All my other Shift+ 1 through 9 works OK, but not Shift+5...

I have rebuilt my fsx.cfg file and even tried to re-assign Shift+5 in the sim settings.

I even tried different keyboard, but no joy.

Shift+5 works fine in FS9.

Suggestions?

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Shift+5=MAPS??? What aircraft?

Shift+5 should bring up whatever is programmed in your panel.cfg

This is just a sample.

[Window Titles]

window00=Main Panel Shift+1

window01=Radio StackShift+2

Window02=GPSShift+3

Window03=Throttle PanelShift+4

Window04=Overhead PanelShift+5

Window05=Trim PanelShift+6

Window06=PFDShift+7

Window07=MFDShift+8

Window08=EICASShift+9

Window09=Mini PanelBrought up using 2D panel and W key

Window10=Compass PanelNo shift+number possible

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Shift+5=MAPS??? What aircraft?

Shift+5 should bring up whatever is programmed in your panel.cfg

This is just a sample.

[Window Titles]

window00=Main Panel Shift+1

window01=Radio StackShift+2

Window02=GPSShift+3

Window03=Throttle PanelShift+4

Window04=Overhead PanelShift+5

Window05=Trim PanelShift+6

Window06=PFDShift+7

Window07=MFDShift+8

Window08=EICASShift+9

Window09=Mini PanelBrought up using 2D panel and W key

Window10=Compass PanelNo shift+number possible

Thanks for responding, Mr Zippy

What finally 'got my goat' was not being able to bring up 'Navigator's Map' in my A2A Boewing B-377 Stratocruiser:

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Clipboard

Window02=Mini Controls

Window03=Payload and Fuel Manager

Window04=Navigator's Map

Window05=Engine Selector

Window06=none

I then checked several other planes by A2A as well as many others, including Microsoft default planes, and nothing comes up with Shift+5....

What if I was to reinstall FSX over this current many years old sim?

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

and nothing comes up with Shift+5....

What if I was to reinstall FSX over this current many years old sim?

Nothing with Shift+5 for any aircraft? I would almost suspect the keyboard?? Next thing to check in your FSX.cfg:

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

KBDAIL=100

KBDELEV=100

KBDRUD=100

stick_sensitivity_mode=1

I would avoid a reinstall, but maybe consider a Repair instead. Have you tried hitting the "reset to default" tab in the Controls section?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

A2A panel.cfg

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Clipboard

Window02=Mini Controls

Window04=Navigator's Map

Window05=Engine Selector

Window06=Radios

Window07=Maintenance Hangar

Window08=Captain's Log

Window09=none

Window10=AFK

Why would you reinstall FSX when what you NEED to do is reinstall the 377 ?

I would avoid a reinstall, but maybe consider a Repair instead. Have you tried hitting the "reset to default" tab in the Controls section?

+1! Especially the "reset to default." You'll need to redo any custom changes you've made. But that's a lot easier than tearing down the whole house and starting from scratch!!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hi frag,

From your original post and everything in between it sure sounds like a keyboard problem. You don't say though if by right clicking the screen in a flight if the map window can be selected. This might help verify that it is in fact the keyboard.

panel.jpg

Jim F.

Hi frag,

From your original post and everything in between it sure sounds like a keyboard problem. You don't say though if by right clicking the screen in a flight if the map window can be selected. This might help verify that it is in fact the keyboard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]190965[/ATTACH]

Jim F.

Thanks all for posting. I will check the .cfg file as mentioned but Shift+5 works fine in FS9, and one of my first troubleshooting steps was to swap out the keyboard. Didn't change anything for me.

Yes, I can bring up any views from the taskbar. Did not try the right click screen to select menu.

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Hi frag,

Yeah. As I hit submit I realized I should have been more specific in mentioning the keyboard. My focus, however, was to see if the desired window could be brought up under any conditions. I know you referred to re-assigning "Shift+5" but I assumed you meant assigning some other key to display the window but wasn't 100% sure.

As you can display the map window through the menu the only thing I can imagine, as to be the cause of the problem, would be some corruption to the Standard.xml. I'm not saying it is but I can't imagine anything else.

Jim F.

The A2A B-377 Stratocrusier Capt. of the Ship panel I'm dealing with (except all other aircraft exhibit the same no Shift+5 dispaly) is as follows:

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window01=Clipboard

Window02=Mini Controls

Window04=Navigator's Map

Window05=Engine Selector

Window06=Radios

Window07=Maintenance Hangar

Window08=Captain's Log

Window09=none

Window10=AFK

Window00 (Shift+1) brings up nothing because I believe they did not model a 2-D panel, Shift+5 does not bring up Navigator's Map and I don't know why. I've asked them why they put AFK under Windows10 (there is no keyboard entry for that window, you have to do it from the Menu Bar...

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Hi frag,

Yeah. As I hit submit I realized I should have been more specific in mentioning the keyboard. My focus, however, was to see if the desired window could be brought up under any conditions. I know you referred to re-assigning "Shift+5" but I assumed you meant assigning some other key to display the window but wasn't 100% sure.

As you can display the map window through the menu the only thing I can imagine, as to be the cause of the problem, would be some corruption to the Standard.xml. I'm not saying it is but I can't imagine anything else.

Jim F.

Can the .xml file be troubleshot?

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Hi frag,

Now I'm really confused. If there is no key assignment to Panel 5 then there will be no key/combination that will select it. If you'd like to bring it up with Shift+5 assign those keys to it. In my current setup I have "Z+Num 5" assigned to bring up Panel 5.

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you mean when you posted "It is not assigned to anything.

Jim F.

Hi again,

I was still concerned about this prior to seeing Zippy's post so I created an image that I thought might clear up any confusion. I'm not aware that deleting the FSX.cfg would also return the controls to default and I'm not about to check. The "Reset Defaults" button shown in the lower right of Zippy's image was what I always assumed would do that. Deleting the FSX.cfg has always seemed like a bad idea to me but different strokes as they say. When I looked at my settings I noticed that I had failed to delete the "Shift+..." keys. I will now. I try to only leave the key combinations I use as the Kneeboard accurately displays the current key settings and I want as little clutter as possible when looking for an assignment I can't recall. Here's my current:

Pnl5.JPG

Jim F.

Fiddling around in the 'views' section of 'options/settings/controls/button keys/views' I can 'change assignment' to Shift+0 and the Navigators Map comes up. If I 'change assignment' back to Shift+5, it is inoperative again. I can even make a 'new assignment' to any key but NOT to Shift+5...!!! I can also create an assignment to my joystick, and it works as well. I also connected up another keyboard and did all the same changes with all the same results. It has to be something buried deep in the sim software somewhere, and this install is my BETA install from the last BETA team RTM build back in '06 (just to throw another curve at ya...(laughing hysterically))

panel windows.JPGaTebn5yT4.gif

Nonetheless, I prefer to fly with a GPS system anyway, so I can edit my panel.cfg to show a Garmin 500 or somethin to get me across the skies...

Warm regards all...

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

I would scroll through ALL controller settings in-sim and find the duplicate control function that is preventing the Shift+5 button from working normally.

I reset the assignments for the keyboard to default settings more than once, and no joy.

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Then set another key combo for the shift+5 function and see what happens.

Resetting the default commands only affects keys NOT set through outside addons, so list all addons installed - most likely one of them is intercepting the command for its own use.

Then set another key combo for the shift+5 function and see what happens.

Resetting the default commands only affects keys NOT set through outside addons, so list all addons installed - most likely one of them is intercepting the command for its own use.

Please read #18 post. I don't have anything programed for Shift+5 or any of the other default Shift+ commands. I programmed key 'M' for the 'Navigators Map' in the B-377 and the map comes up just fine. Frankly I don't use the Navigators Map much at all and rely on a GPS mostly. I have a GPS window added to my panel, and access it through a button on my Saitek joy stick. Shift+5 just does nothing for me in FSX right now. Functions fully in FS9 however...

~ Blue Skies ~

Fragmentum

Hi frag,

I have an idea and that's always dangerous but here goes. If someone can't accept that the beta rtm version of FSX is the problem you could offer to sell it to them so that they could see for themselves. With the proceeds you could purchase the Steam version and that would eliminate what you're experiencing. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Jim F.

Archived