Best gaming computer for FSX

Hi,

I am looking for a little help, I am wanting to get a new desktop for FSX, and was wondering what the best spec desktop on the market is to be able to run FSX FULLY LOADED, all graphics maxed out, full AI, 3rd party airports, 3rd party ground scenery installed, I want a machine that no matter how much I put on FSX or how much I max it out it will still run smoothly and quickly, I know having one built to spec is probably the best idea, I just really don't want to wait that long, so if anyone can point me in the direction or link me to desktops available to buy online it would be really appreciated!

Hi brucey12401,

If you take a quick look around any of the FSX forums, that seems to be the universal goal.

My opinion is that the computer you're looking for (to be able to run FSX FULLY LOADED, all graphics maxed out, full AI, 3rd party airports, 3rd party ground scenery installed, I want a machine that no matter how much I put on FSX or how much I max it out it will still run smoothly and quickly) isn't available to the general public yet.

Some people may have come close, but there will still be compromises...

This: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-world-record-skylake-overclock-is-an-insane-7ghz/ may be able to do what you're looking for IF you're willing to play with liquid nitrogen :cool:

The general consensus is that CPU speed has the most effect on how FSX runs.

I have a bunch of addons and have most of my sliders set to the right (NOT all of them), run in DX10 preview, bloom, all shadows enabled, and am pretty happy with the performance I get with FSX most of the time. In busy/detailed airports, it bogs down a bit, but once in the air at a cruising altitude it's smooth as silk.

Good luck in your quest - if you find what you are looking for, PLEASE share that with the rest of the FSX community!

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Ok so which would you recommend out of these to desktops to run FSX at max or near max fully loaded settings? I know one is more powerful than the other but it's pointless paying for the extra power if it isn't going to make any difference... Advice so far is greatly appreciated!

Setup 1:

ASRock 62 Extreme Intel LGA 1151

Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6ghz

Corsair Hydro H80i GT Liquid Cooling

32GB Ram @ 2666Mhz

8GB Nvidia GTX 1080

1000 Watt Corsair Power supply

1TB Samsung Hard Drive

Setup 2:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170

Intel 6th Gen i7 6700k overclocked to 4.8ghz

Hydrolux intergrated liquid cooling system

64GB ram 2666Mhz

12GB Nvidia GTX Titan

1000 Watt Corsair Power Supply

1TB Toshiba Seagate Hard Drive

Ok so which would you recommend out of these to desktops to run FSX at max or near max fully loaded settings? I know one is more powerful than the other but it's pointless paying for the extra power if it isn't going to make any difference... Advice so far is greatly appreciated!

Setup 1:

ASRock 62 Extreme Intel LGA 1151

Intel 6th Gen Core i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6ghz

Corsair Hydro H80i GT Liquid Cooling

32GB Ram @ 2666Mhz

8GB Nvidia GTX 1080

1000 Watt Corsair Power supply

1TB Samsung Hard Drive

Setup 2:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170

Intel 6th Gen i7 6700k overclocked to 4.8ghz

Hydrolux intergrated liquid cooling system

64GB ram 2666Mhz

12GB Nvidia GTX Titan

1000 Watt Corsair Power Supply

1TB Toshiba Seagate Hard Drive

If it were me, I would go for door#2 and add the biggest SSD I could find so that FSX could be loaded on it. The Operating system and all other junk could be loaded onto the 1TB HDD. FSX feels the need for speed!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

+1 on Zip's suggestion........

What I would add is........

If the rig is solely for FSX then reduce the amount of RAM installed - it will save a few pennies that can be invested in the SSD. The reason I make this suggestion is that FSX is a 32-bit program and 32-bit programs can only access a maximum of 4Gb of RAM at any given time so 64Gb is an overkill. Obviously, the OS, other apps and background tasks will also use RAM so the bare minimum you should be looking at is probably 8Gb but 16Gb would probably be a good option.

Regards

Brian

+1 on both mrzippy's and longbreak754's suggestions.

I'd also venture to suggest ditching the titan for a slightly lower end vid card and putting the money saved on ram and the vid card toward the SSD.

Good luck!

E-Buzz

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Does the motherboard play much role in FSX because I did read that the LG1151 was the preference for FSX!? As for RAM you think 16GB Ram and 8GB GTX 1080 Video card... I always though that FSX was also video card heavy? I am not the most computer literate person when it comes to specs so all your advice is greatly appreciated! As for SSD I can't seem to find anywhere that I can order overclocked more than 4.8ghz

Does the motherboard play much role in FSX because I did read that the LG1151 was the preference for FSX!? As for RAM you think 16GB Ram and 8GB GTX 1080 Video card... I always though that FSX was also video card heavy? I am not the most computer literate person when it comes to specs so all your advice is greatly appreciated! As for SSD I can't seem to find anywhere that I can order overclocked more than 4.8ghz

SSD=Solid State Drive. No spinning discs, many times faster than a HDD=HardDrive.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi brucey,

I've never heard of anyone doing an A-B comparison of motherboards, all else being equal.

It's considered axiomatic that that as far as running FSX that it's best to choose the most powerful CPU and Nvidia graphics to get the best performance. I recently put a relatively new GeForce card in an old 2 GHz AMD computer and was amazed at how well FSX looked and ran. I've heard reports of forthcoming technology that will result in computers that will run with performance levels greater than 10 times what it is today. Bottom line; try to get the most bang for your buck today keeping in mind whatever you get won't be the best in the future. When you read in the forums, arguments about which system best displays the vein structure of the leaves on the trees it will probably be time to upgrade. In the mean time enjoy what you have.

Jim F.

Thanks for the advice, I cannot seem to find a build online PC that will overclock more than 4.8ghz, as for SSD the Samsung 850 pro 1TB you think is a good option? I know everyone has difference of opinion on being able to see so much detail, I'm not generally looking to be able to see crisp veins on a leaf, just be able to run at near max settings with full global AI and a ton of 3rd party addon scenery and still be able to fly in and out of congested airports and detailed airports without it jumping or freezing or crashing! If I can get that like I can in FS9 I will be a very happy man!

WRT to overclocking - the 4.8 limit should be more that adequate. It should be remembered that overclocking a rig too much will lead to an unstable system which can cause stutters and/or crashes and sometimes damage to the CPU/GPU and other components.

Regards

Brian

4.8 Ghz CPU overclock seems to be about as high as possible (and stable) without utilizing more "exotic" cooling methods - although I bet that there are some that have achieved slightly higher overclocks - those that have may lucked out with the chip (the bin lottery).

And longbreak's warnings about overclocking are very real.

Some people are very happy with FSX performance with lower-clocked CPUs - it seems to be very much about compromise. Also, in my opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) there are some addons that seem to work smoother/have a higher FPS than others.

ANY SSD will be significantly faster that any HDD. My advice would be to pick up the largest size you can afford, although you may be able to get away with a smaller SSD (depends on what you want to put on it). I currently have the EVO version of the Samsung you mentioned (my OS, games, programs, and FSX are all on it - it is my main drive) - no comparison to my HDD - boot time from pushing the "on" button to desktop log-in is less than 8 seconds.

When starting FSX, it now takes less than half the time to the free-flight screen or loading to the runway.

But - my in opinion (again, for what it's worth), I don't feel that having the SSD has increased the FPS (Frames Per Second) in FSX. I have noticed, however, that I don't really get any more "blurries" or stutters due to terrain loading - my FSX installation feels much more smoother with the addition of the SSD.

I'm only one of the many people here with various experiences with trying to achieve FSX nirvana - read all the forums you can - you never know when that small piece of info will come up which transforms your FSX experience!

Good luck!

E-Buzz :pilot:

• 6 months later...

Archived