Any news about the Antarctica rescue?

As many know there is a man with serious health issues at the Admundson-Scott center near the South pole. As of the last news I've heard there are a pair of Twin Otters deployed, one to bring him out, the other for SAR if needed. And yes today is the start of winter there & they will have no daylight for months to come.

I've tried several web sources and can find no updates later than yesterday. At that time they were hoping to perhaps start an operation today.

Does anyone have more current knowledge? Does anyone know of a link I/we can log into to get updates?

Please advise,

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I understand that atm weather is their limiting factor.

I think is says something about a mission like this that they have two birds assigned, one to do the rescue (they hope!), one to act as SAR for the first one. Tells me that it's a heck of a tough mission, even with good weather! Normally, that station is isolated from Feb through Oct. Long time to be isolated from the world!

Someone mentioned it would be easier to rescue someone from the Space Station. Gives ya an idea of the difficulty.

I hope they save the guy(s)!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

It is a difficult mission to fly. One of the biggest problems is the extreme cold. Everything on the plane becomes far more fragile, and all liquids (fuel, oil, hydraulics) are prone to freezing. This is where the Twotter has an advantage in being a relatively simple plane. There is far less to keep warm and running than a Hercules or other aircraft type.

Latest update I saw, they have launched the mission, the weather having cleared. It's still freakin' cold though! A scientist involved said the average is -60 C(-75F), and yes, they mentioned about the Hyd fluid and so one freezing. Maybe that's why they got the Canadian birds? Maybe the Canadians are used to cold like that and have modified their aircraft to take it into account as much as they can...Different type of hyd fluid, oil, and so on? I know the US Army Arctic unit up in Alaska has a lot of special fluids they use, so maybe.

Anyway, it's on. Here's hoping for a good outcome!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived