P3D computer suggestion

linkinpark2176

Hello all,

I'm know this question has been asked a ton of times, but looking specifically at this computer. Does anyone know if I would get good frames with add-ons running P3D on this? I'm trying to make the move from FS9; Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to go overboard if I don't have to. Thank you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102060

Welcome to the forum(s). Buying a new computer is always a tough decision time. I'd recommend a little change and ask that you consider this option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102107 .

The upgrade of the CPU is significant. While only 10% more speed, the performance overall will be much better. Plus they toss-in a 120GB SSD. And it's only $100 more than the one you've listed.

Here's my general advice for a P3D computer in case you want to look at other options as well.

CPU - either a 6700K or a 4790K. FSX/P3D, being single-threaded, loves them both.

GPU - GTX970. The 980 is way more money and will gain you nothing in FSX/P3D. Forget about the 1080's as they are just way to much overkill.

RAM - 8GB will work just fine. More, however, is always better.

PSU - 600W minimum and a good-quality name brand. Don't skimp here.

Luck.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Kaby Lake is all about PC manufacturing and marketing. The only reason Intel is producing it is to pacify Dell, HP, etc. There are no significant differences over Skylake as far as FSX/P3D are concerned. Waiting for any breakthrough in CPU technology is a never-ending game. Were it I, I'd go for the new box now and not worry about what Intel is doing. You'll never notice a difference.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

How is it compared to 4790k LGA1150?

I will try getting to the point: the few annoying places where you get 17 fps in P3D with 4790k (New York, and one or two more places, however much more places where you get 20fps) - in those instances, will Kaby Lake help me with at least 2-3 additional frames?

That's all we need because we are near the border line, 17 fps is fakaktish-bad, but 20 over New York will be ok.

Archived