UPGRADE to Windows 10 problem

michaeljulian

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 10. All OK until I try to run FS9. The splash screen comes up as normal but then instead of switching to the selection panel, select flight create flight, aircraft type etc. the screen goes black and then it hangs with a blue circle alternating with a few seconds of pure black screen. I have re-started the computer a few times but without success. Any tricks needed to start flying again?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this is not too late!!

(I have 3x versions of FS9 running in Windows 10, that I updated from Windows 7.

Plan A: Find & delete the fs9.cfg file, then run FS9. It will create a new .cfg.

Plan B: What you could do is to copy the whole FS9 folder to another location, use the registry fix tool from Flight1 to point the new exe to the registry, then run the fs9.exe

Always run in 'Windows' mode!

Uninstalling should not be necessary at all!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Have tried everything now and spent about 11 hours trying to crack the problem without success.. Has anybody been though this whole scenario and come up with an answer? I have now un-intstalled FS9 using Windows 10 and re-installed it without any hang ups. But it just wont work. An icon is on the screen but I have been thorough all of the advice here including the Microsoft work sheet. I presume the only thing to do is to revert to Windows 7 - I have 9 days to go to do that unless anybody else has an answer.

have now restored my screen to the state of my first question. i.e. FS9 loads with splash screen in middle of display, but then switches to black screen with enlarged cursor arrow in centre. Advice was to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del which I did but that switches to the unhelpful closing options of Windows 1, However on clicking "close" the next FS9 screen flashes up for a split second in very large type face. Is there a clue there for you computer whizz kids?

I have now spent a further few hours going through every file in FS9 and removed the old FS9.exe and replaced it with no-cd file. The splash screen now comes up as normal size in the middle of the screen and on the first occasion went through all the building up of registry and scenery files. The screen then goes black with a larger than normal rotating blue circle. It then settles down to a larger that white cursor arrow in the middle of a black screen for ever. On clicking ctrl-alt-del I get the Window 10 closing options screen but if I click on "close" I get a flash of the next FS9 screen in very large print before resorting to the arrow again. Are there some clues there for you guys who might recognise this problem?

I don't have Windows 10, no intention on switching to it until there is a day there is not a single other option. I really recommend staying with Win 7.

If you do wish to persist with Win 10, may be worth trying a few different graphic drivers. It would be the first thing I would experiment with to find a driver that appears to work and work on other issues after that.

Mark Daniels

• 4 weeks later...
Back at my computer again with Hidden Files etc unlocked. However, I have now tried all ideas but still have aircraft on runway with sound and image but gauges do not move and aircraft static despite rise in engine power. Views do not change either with "S" key. Have used all suggestions to find FS9.cfg but none work. Can anybody let me know the MS update that tends to corrupt the programme? Perhaps that is the issue. I already have the no-cd installed.

If you already have the no-cd installed, then you don't need to mess with any of the Windows Updates.

The path to your FS9.cfg file is EXACTLY the same as it was under Win 7.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I have now removed the FS9.cfg and started FS9. However it still goes to a completely black screen with an enlarge rolling blue circle which is replaced by an oversize white cursor arrow. After that nothing happens. However, after clicking on the FS9 icon I get the message:

"Do you want to allow this app from an unknown source to make changes to your PC?" FS9.exe.

If I say "yes" it loads as above. If I say no it doesn't load and drops an FS9 icon to the bottom task bar. If I click on that icon it tells me FS9 is running. Where do I go from here?

Volumes upon volumes have been posted in these forums about this problematic issue. Yet, the plague still continues. Microsoft will end our sim fun soon.

Many of us have been having sim fun under Win 10 for almost a year now. Microsoft has not done a single thing to end our fun.

I wish Microsoft suggests a solution. I am going through the same saga, will be getting Windows 10 and do not want to loose FS2004.

It's not up to Microsoft to suggest solutions to using a 13 year old piece of software with a modern OS. BTW, FS2004 runs just fine under Win 10.

BTW, FS2004 runs just fine under Win 10.

That wasn't the question. The question was, how?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

That wasn't the question. The question was, how?

1. Install FS9.

2. Install the FS9.1 patch.

3. Install the FS9.1 no-cd file.

4. Fly with FS9 under Win 10.

1. Install FS9.

2. Install the FS9.1 patch.

3. Install the FS9.1 no-cd file.

4. Fly with FS9 under Win 10.

Have you actually read post #1 in this thread?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Archived