SceneGenX and Afcad 2.21

flyer8

Lately, I've been using SceneGenX to read FS9 airport information. I've both read and noticed that Afcad removes information from ADE and AFX generated airports. Wanting to get at the data and in order to read those airports, I can make copies of ADE or AFX files in another folder, then use Afcad to view the airport info without damaging the originals.

The question is that I haven't noticed any data loss while reading airports with SceneGenX. Since I don't design airports, I was wondering if someone can confirm that as fact. That SceneGenX doesn't inadvertently ruin an ADE or AFX designed airport simply by reading the BGLs.

Please advise and thanks!

I use GenX to make all my scenery, and I have never noticed any "removal", though when I open an airport bgl it is the original FS one and I anyway intend to make a lot of changes to it. I have also never noticed any info removal by AFCAD either, though I don't use it in the same way. I would be interested to know what info AFCAD "removes". I would have thought that opening a bgl would only change that bgl if it was saved afterwards. If you don't save the bgl then the original is still there. It may appear that AFCAD removes info as it doesn't show all there is to show because it is not capable of doing so. It would be like asking Word from 2006 to open a document produced in 2016. More info please.

I've never used GenX, but I can confirm that AFCAD 2.21 doesn't save ILS data (try updating the ILS runway numbers on the default EHAM with it - nightmare!) so I've used ADE and AFX since their launch.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Does AFCAD 2.21 even open ILS data?

It seems to, because it will show ILS details as part of the Show Navaids display. If you try to edit any existing ILS attributes and save them, it will still show them but they won't appear in the sim.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi,

This is not my experience. The ILS frequencies at my airports show up just fine if edited in AFCAD. Now if you renumber runways using AFCAD, then the default ILS *approaches* as defined by ATC are no longer valid and ATC will give you a visual approach to the runway. But the ILS frequency (even edited by AFCAD) can still be tuned in.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Archived