ORBX scenery and ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

dogdish

I had ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 in the fsx.cfg and then installed a few ORBX scenery packs for the first time.

I'm getting missing texture alert popups (usually when approaching airport) such as...

Telluride_max_airport_30cm_original.dds

ORBX_light_bloom.dds

ORBX_light_bloom_LM.dds

ORBX_ymml_roof_term1.bmp

ORBX_ymml_roof_term1_LM.bmp

ORBX_sra_objects_2.dds

ORBX_sra_objects_2a.bmp

(probably more I didn't come across yet too)

The installers said the installations were successful however I didn't see these textures in any of the folders.

Are these normal bugs with ORBX products and I should just turn off the texture alert or are these not in the folders for some reason?

When I installed the Global base I download the latest library. Are you suppose to download after each scenery pack?

Or do I have corrupted downloads? They seemed to download and unzip OK. I've never had any issues downloading/unzipping before so I just used the default Windows down loader and un-zipper. Was that a mistake?

I didn't notice any obvious scenery missing when flying around though.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Always install the libraries last, and yes, after every scenery pack as they mostly are earlier in date than updated files in the library download.

And yes turn off texture alert, it will only make you worry unnecessarily.

Thanks mallcott,

I was thinking because the Telluride pack is NEW, it probably has a NEW product bug. However the Melbourne pack has been around awhile and I'd think ORBX would have corrected it by now.

The others look like general library items and maybe those will get updated with another library download. I'll see if any of these go away then turn the texture alert off.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Two things:

1: ORBX is renowned for using textures in development that borrow from previous files but don't make it into the final release, as they are incorporated into the library where they don't want or need repeated textures. So you can get texture calls for completely unneeded textures. The texture alert cannot differentiate between these files so is useless for this purpose.

2: It's worth NOT just using the instant download of the FTX Central v2 which updates library files but instead to get the full 430 meg installer directly from the website. Given the sheer number of files and the increasing complexity of the FTX Central install manager itself, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one or two might get missed.

...So you can get texture calls for completely unneeded textures...

I agree this is what is happening.

I ran the 430 meg library updater again but the same textures (also found new ones) are causing the missing texture alerter to keep popping up annoyingly so so I turned it back off.

Archived